MintBaconDrivel
5 years ago
Do you agree?

Certainly, if you're looking at the specifics, McCarthy left some opportunities on the table. Before Rodgers even took over, McCarthy lost as a 7.5-point favorite against the Giants during the 2007 playoffs in a 23-20 game in which Brett Favre threw a critical interception in overtime. The Packers rode a hot streak to the Super Bowl three years later, their lone trip during the McCarthy era.

The Packers were 5-6 in the playoffs after their Super Bowl win. Their victories were over teams quarterbacked by Joe Webb, Kirk Cousins, Eli Manning, Dak Prescott and Tony Romo in the infamous Dez Bryant catch rule game. They were ripped apart twice by Colin Kaepernick, lost as eight-point favorites to end a 15-1 season at home against Eli's Giants, and were blown out by Matt Ryan in what was McCarthy's last playoff game, the 2016 NFC Championship Game.

McCarthy deserves blame, at least in part, for the other two games. In the legendary January 2016 Packers-Cardinals playoff tilt where Rodgers brought the Packers back with two Hail Mary completions on the same drive to tie the game, McCarthy decided against a two-pointer to try to win the game and instead kicked an extra point to send the game to overtime. His team had lost multiple receivers to injury, but the Packers had just ripped the Cardinals' hearts out and were seven-point underdogs. One play from the 2-yard line on offense was a better idea than going to a full overtime, where the Cardinals picked up a 75-yard completion on the opening play from scrimmage and scored two plays later.

Maybe McCarthy deserves only a bit of criticism for that one. When it comes to the 2014 NFC Championship Game, though, McCarthy bungled his way into a crushing loss. I wrote about this at the time, when McCarthy kicked two sub-20-yard field goals to start the game, ran the ball on third-and-3 to set up a fourth-and-1 field goal try, and said after the game that he was calling second-half running plays to try to hit a total of 20 rushing attempts in the second half.

The latter is a brutal conflation of cause and effect, and as Mike Tanier noted, the Packers were probably better off setting a target of three second-half kneel-downs if McCarthy was going to misapply math. I won't get into McCarthy's erratic late-game decision-making in the regular season or the time Jordy Nelson had to try to hide the challenge flag McCarthy incorrectly threw, but at the very least, the Packers should have represented the NFC in Super Bowl XLIX.

Let's look at it on a much broader level. I can think of eight quarterbacks who were drafted after 1980, didn't spend time in the CFL or USFL, and count as surefire, first-ballot, no-doubt Hall of Famers: Troy Aikman, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, John Elway, Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, Dan Marino and Ben Roethlisberger. Those guys were competing against one another (and some in cases, with Rodgers) for Super Bowl appearances, so we can get an abstract sense of how frequently a dominant quarterback in the modern era should sniff the Lombardi trophy.

Those passers combined for 126 seasons as starters (excluding 2018). Those seasons delivered 27 Super Bowl appearances and 16 victories. In other words, they made the Super Bowl once every 4.7 healthy seasons and won it once every 7.9 seasons.

Rodgers' debut season as the Packers' starter didn't come until age 25, thanks to three seasons spent as Favre's understudy. He completed eight full or nearly-full seasons as a starter, excluding the 2013 and 2017 campaigns. Those eight seasons have delivered one Super Bowl appearance and one ring. In other words, Rodgers has won almost exactly the number of Super Bowls we would have expected given the success rate of other quarterbacks, and if the Packers had sneaked past the Seahawks and into Super Bowl XLIX, he would be right in line in terms of expected appearances, too. I think the expectations for eight (approaching nine) full seasons from Rodgers should be something in the range of two Super Bowl appearances and one win.

Continue Reading @ESPN 

Bill Barnwell wrote:

Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
RichMcGeorge
5 years ago
The Packers absolutely should have gotten back to the Super Bowl with Rodgers at QB. McCarthy deserves at least some of the blame for that. Probably a lot of blame for the 2014 loss in Seattle. But there is one man who owns the Packers inability to get to another Super Bowl.

As last season's 3-8 record without Rodgers and this years 4-7-1 record with an injured, less effective Rodgers this season make abundantly clear, the roster has deteriorated for years.

Ted Thompson's run after the 2010 Super Bowl was not good, not good at all.
buckeyepackfan
5 years ago
The Packers won more football games than any other NFC team while Ted was GM.

Now because The Packers didn't win another SB, cannot be put on Ted.

Bad breaks, injuries, bad Karma, whatever you want to call it.

Shit happens, dont blame Ted!
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Zero2Cool
5 years ago
I think expectations are unrealistic. We bucked up 2014 and should have at least been in the Super Bowl.

2011 we didn't have the defense to win it all.

Every year, there is just one Super Bowl winner. You need luck sometimes and we had it on our side in 2010. 2014 we created bad luck. 2016 we were simply over matched.

Four NFL teams never even made it to a Super Bowl.
Twenty NFL teams have won one or less Super Bowls.
I'm thankful I have been able to witness (via TV) two Super Bowl victories.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago
Everyone knows we were robbed in '09. 2014 was on Mike.

This year was on the starting QB who has missed one yard passes to Equinimeus for like 6 weeks in a row.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
buckeyepackfan
5 years ago

Everyone knows we were robbed in '09. 2014 was on Mike.

This year was on the starting QB who has missed one yard passes to Equinimeus for like 6 weeks in a row.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

What makes you think The Packers were robbed?

There was no guarantee they would have won either year had they made it to The SB.

Did Mike tell Burnette to kneel down, no it was Peppers.

Did Mike tell Bostic to try and catch the onside kick?

Was it Mike who froze on the lame duck pass put up that scored the 2pt conversion giving Seattle a 3pt. Lead? HaHa

Yea but just blame it all on Mike.

He did what every coach would do, run the ball 3 times to make Seattle burn their timeouts.

How would Mike know there would be a shanked punt on 4th down?

After all that it took a great escape from Carson Palmer, something he never did, and another rookie mistake by Rollins to let Fitzgerald be wide open.

Let's blame Mike!

You just keep letting these things eat at you.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
gbguy20
5 years ago
Blew 2 opportunities and got robbed in 09. So yes, 1-3 more.
nerdmann
5 years ago

What makes you think The Packers were robbed?

There was no guarantee they would have won either year had they made it to The SB.

Did Mike tell Burnette to kneel down, no it was Peppers.

Did Mike tell Bostic to try and catch the onside kick?

Was it Mike who froze on the lame duck pass put up that scored the 2pt conversion giving Seattle a 3pt. Lead? HaHa

Yea but just blame it all on Mike.

He did what every coach would do, run the ball 3 times to make Seattle burn their timeouts.

How would Mike know there would be a shanked punt on 4th down?

After all that it took a great escape from Carson Palmer, something he never did, and another rookie mistake by Rollins to let Fitzgerald be wide open.

Let's blame Mike!

You just keep letting these things eat at you.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Uncalled facemask in '09.

Against Seattle, Mike got emotionally tense, like he always does. For some reason, people think I mean he called conservative plays, or something like that. That's not to what I am referring.

The WHOLE TEAM emotionally contracted. They all knew what was coming, and it became inevitable.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
macbob
5 years ago
Yes (to answer the thread question).
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
2 more, to amplify on the thread answer
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Fan Shout
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
43m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

19-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.