Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
7 Pages123>»

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
buckeyepackfan  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2018 4:38:29 PM(UTC)
Well, might as well get things started early.
First draft, no trades.
I smell Super Bowl!
😁😁😁

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 11: Allen, Josh, OLB, Kentucky (A)
Round 1 Pick 32: Harry, NKeal, WR, Arizona State (A)
Round 2 Pick 11: Abram, Johnathan, FS, Mississippi State (A+)
Round 3 Pick 10: Conrad, CJ, TE, Kentucky (A+)
Round 4 Pick 11: Tega Wanogho, Prince, OT, Auburn (A+)
Round 4 Pick 17: Winovich, Chase, DE, Michigan (A+)
Round 5 Pick 11: McCoy, TJ, C, Florida (A+)
Round 6 Pick 11: Rypien, Brett, QB, Boise State (A+)
Round 6 Pick 21: Patrick, Jacques, RB, Florida State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 11: Boyd, Kris, CB, Texas (A+)

Your Future Picks:
2019 Round 1 Pick
2020 Round 1 Pick
KRK  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 6:11:19 AM(UTC)
1. Tyler Biabasz - C-G Wisconsin. Immediate upgrade at right guard and depth at center. A mauler. Very bright
(Note, I also want them to sign free agent Roger Safford Rams LG)
1a. Jachai Polite - FL Edge rusher with a great Motor and good at setting an edge
2. Micheal Deiter - OT Wisconsin could start today...a minimum, a very solid and will provide much needed back up(if
(if they get these 4 guys, bring back their D line, and keep Pettine, and a decent HCwe would go to the Super Bowl)
3. Drew Tranquill Notre Dame
After that, I want an ILB with wheels from a major conference
wpr  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 7:44:37 AM(UTC)
Even though it's picking a defensive player first AGAIN, Josh Allen would be a nice fit.
Nonstopdrivel  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 8:39:35 AM(UTC)
KRK said: Go to Quoted Post
1. Tyler Biabasz - C-G Wisconsin.

Do you really think an offensive lineman is worth spending a first-round pick on? I'm not being snarky; I'm genuinely curious.
gbguy20  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 9:32:15 AM(UTC)
If we actually hit on the pick, then yes.
beast  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 10:23:43 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel said: Go to Quoted Post
Do you really think an offensive lineman is worth spending a first-round pick on? I'm not being snarky; I'm genuinely curious.

It depends on how well they play... I'd take another Bak in the first round.

That being said, I don't think I'd take an interior OL in the first unless I thought they were a potential future NFL hall of famer! Like Jack Conklin SOOO reminded me of Steve Hutchinson... though also depends on scheme, the more power running we plan on doing, the more I might be willing to use a high pick on an interor OL.
KRK  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 11:02:11 AM(UTC)
Hell yes OL is worth a number 1. We have made very poor decisions in the last few drafts and FA, and have not allocated resources to the position. We thought that 12 was so good, we could win with anyone up there. NOT SO

If we have a solid wall, we are frigging golden. Our young RB’s wiuld shine and we could actually coniser running on 3rd and 4th and short...which opens up play action.
earthquake  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 11:53:20 AM(UTC)
beast said: Go to Quoted Post
It depends on how well they play... I'd take another Bak in the first round.

That being said, I don't think I'd take an interior OL in the first unless I thought they were a potential future NFL hall of famer! Like Jack Conklin SOOO reminded me of Steve Hutchinson... though also depends on scheme, the more power running we plan on doing, the more I might be willing to use a high pick on an interor OL.

Yeah, a top 15 pick for a G may be a reach. Most G's don't go in the first round and if they do, it's towards the end of the round generally. In 2017 the first G off the board was at 38, and the next two went 63 & 64. The top OT went at 20. In 2016 there were 4 OTs in the top 16, but the first G went at 28. In 2015, the top G was 28 as well. So that's an average position of 31 for the top rated G over the last 3 years.

Edit: Whoops, I left out 2018. The colts picked a G at 6 in 2018. So that's an average position of 24 for the top rated G in the last 3 years.

Going back further, in 2014 the Cowboys took Zack Martin at 16, and he seems to be pretty good. In 2013 there were 9 OL in the top 20, 5 OTs and 3 Gs, so that was a pretty exceptional year for OLs. In 2012 we're back to normality with Gs at 24, 28, 40 and 44. 2011, 23 and the next off the board is at 55. 2010 we have another mid round G at 17, but no other Gs until the 3rd round.

If there is a top 3 OT at 15, that would make sense. A G with the Saint's 1st round pick would make sense if they are the top rated at the position. A top 3 G with the 2nd round pick would make some sense too.

So yeah, a G at ~15 or so? If it's a transcendent sort of player at the position sure. I don't know enough about any of the players coming out to really say. Reaching a bit might make sense if it's a very good player and it isn't generally a good year for OL, for instance if there is a big drop off after that first guy.

Here's a random sample of interior OLs from mock drafts:

18 ,26, 42 Cody Ford (G)
21, 45, 48, 67 Chris Lindstrom (G)
32, 38, 48 Tyler Biabasz (G/C)
46, 49 Elgton Jenkins (C)
50, 51, 78 Erik McCoy (C)
54, 69 Beau Brezschawel (G)
58, 96 Connor McGovern (C)

It looks like most of these guys are projected as 2nd round prospects or so. But again, I don't know enough to have opinions on any specific player.
KRK  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 12:10:07 PM(UTC)
Tyler Biabasz could immediately start at guard and be a great backup for linsley
earthquake  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 12:33:04 PM(UTC)
Tyler Biabasz could immediately start at guard and be a great backup for linsley

That certainly may be true. But will he be gone before 32, or even 47?

At 15 there should be a starting caliber player at OT, DL, EDGE, WR or CB. Do you pass up one of those positions for a G?
KRK  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 12:52:10 PM(UTC)
there will also be excellent edge rushers at 32...for a 10 year starter G/C, yes I would.

That notwithstanding, if there was a stud RT, I would take him in Round 1 as long as I was going to get a stud FA at guard.
TheKanataThrilla  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 1:15:01 PM(UTC)
The Colts drafted 2 OL in their first 3 picks last draft. Granted Nelson is considered a once in a generation type of Guard, but the difference has been huge on their Offense.

It is actually quite laughable to see an old draft grade on the Colts where the Guard picks were both given D's by SI. Proof that immediate Draft grades mean nothing.
KRK  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 1:21:56 PM(UTC)
IMO, re-examime personnel needs for 2019, clearly they are:
1. O line
2. O line (repeat intended)
3. Edge Rush
4. ILB
5. Safety
5. Depth everywhere (except perhaps DL)

Draft priorities are adjusted depending on FA’s signed.
gbguy20  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 1:55:49 PM(UTC)
No reason we can't use the saints pick on an og if that makes you feel better
KRK  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 1:58:14 PM(UTC)
ok, I feel better now :-)
...as long as we have already signed Safford or Massey pre-draft.
Nonstopdrivel  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 3:23:00 PM(UTC)
That raises an interesting question: what is the earliest date that teams are allowed to sign free agents?
isocleas2  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 4:57:00 PM(UTC)
Seems like a somewhat weak draft for offensive linemen. I know the packers need to draft a right guard/tackle but you don't want to reach. It might be smart to draft an edge rusher and pass catcher early and focus on the line on days 2+3.
buckeyepackfan  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 5:04:45 PM(UTC)
Round 2 for me.
One trade down in 1st.

Went offense early.

Your score is: 30780 (GRADE: A+)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 25 (OAK): Brown, AJ, WR, Mississippi (A-)
Round 1 Pick 27 (OAK): Fant, Noah, TE, Iowa (A-)
Round 1 Pick 32: Abram, Johnathan, FS, Mississippi State (A)
Round 2 Pick 11: Allen, Zach, DE, Boston College (A+)
Round 3 Pick 10: Miller, Christian, OLB, Alabama (A)
Round 4 Pick 2 (OAK): Hyatt, Mitch, OT, Clemson (A+)
Round 4 Pick 11: McGovern, Connor, C, Penn State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 17: Anderson, Rodney, RB, Oklahoma (A+)
Round 5 Pick 11: Ridley, Riley, WR, Georgia (A+)
Round 6 Pick 11: Huggins, Albert, DT, Clemson (A+)
Round 6 Pick 21: Rypien, Brett, QB, Boise State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 11: Connelly, Ryan, ILB, Wisconsin (A+)

Your Future Picks:
2019 Round 1 Pick
2020 Round 1 Pick
beast  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 6:45:39 PM(UTC)
earthquake said: Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, a top 15 pick for a G may be a reach. Most G's don't go in the first round and if they do, it's towards the end of the round generally.

Edit: Whoops, I left out 2018. The colts picked a G at 6 in 2018. So that's an average position of 24 for the top rated G in the last 3 years.

Going back further, in 2014 the Cowboys took Zack Martin at 16, and he seems to be pretty good. In 2013 there were 9 OL in the top 20, 5 OTs and 3 Gs, so that was a pretty exceptional year for OLs.

Yes power run / run first teams have often taken Gs in the 1st as they need someone that has the power to consistently win and be good enough in pass protection. But most teams don't...

2018 was supposed to be a GREAT year for power OGs with a number of them going before the Packers 2nd selection and the one picked at #6 was hyped as the best in over a decade and best player in the entire draft by some... just that his position isn't as valued as QB, RB, CB and pass rushers (and some thought the RB was better).

Unless the Packers are going to be a power run first team, I wouldn't use a 1st round pick on an interior OL and NFL teams usually don't either
beast  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 6:57:20 PM(UTC)
Hell yes OL is worth a number 1. We have made very poor decisions in the last few drafts and FA, and have not allocated resources to the position. We thought that 12 was so good, we could win with anyone up there. NOT SO

If we have a solid wall, we are frigging golden. Our young RB’s wiuld shine and we could actually coniser running on 3rd and 4th and short...which opens up play action.

What are you talking about? Almost no one thought that... and your blindly blaming the OL for the entire offenses struggle is pure madness.

With the exception of the RG the OL has been solid... not great but solid and Rodgers holds the ball and can't find anyone open. That's not always on the OL ...
Rss Feed