Dulak
5 years ago

LaFleur PC 

Not sure if others saw this, but thoughts?

Personally, I've been intrigued by the potential, but the PC worries me. The HC needs to be a strong leader, be demanding of men, set a tone. He came across as nervous, unsure, and lacking vision. I was especially concerned about his response to the question about the defensive/ST philosophy.

I get it's just a PC and he hadn't even met his new bosses 96 hours ago...but he still came across as very meek, a coordinator/position coach, but not an authoritative leader.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Problem with hiring a young guy that has never been a HC before. Teams might want the next Mcvay - but just because he is young and he was 'associated' with mcvay doesnt mean he will be mcvay.

Perhaps the reason why belichick does so well compared to his underlings is #1 he commands respect from his vast knowledge and experience and he knows what he is doing.

I havnt seen the press conference yet but will check it out.

I find it really strange in the NFL when it comes to practically anything - writers or people talking about things seem to try to link anything to make the it appear that something good will happen like our new coach - so he worked with mcvay so therefor we will get as many wins as him.

Or last year before the season started - where was the packers situated in the 'power rankings' because this this or that? and where were we really? ...

anyways - Im a bit skeptical when it comes to someone replacing MMc ... granted I felt a bit that way with capers too and well Im glad we changed.

I hope Matt LaFleur does well obviously its just I dont share all this optimism because x y z in his past ...

- edit - watched the pc - Im glad Mark and Brian feel quite confident they got the right guy; and after watching their press conference looks like the got the right guy out of whom they interviewed. I know many said Josh Mcdaniels was the top candidate - from what I read Josh's family played a roll in his decision to dis the colts job; and I think the packers were looking for a guy where his family was supportive.

I thought Matt LaFleur did a nice job with the PC - yes perhaps a bit on the inexperienced side but hey seems like a likable guy.
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

Perhaps the reason why belichick does so well compared to his underlings is #1 he commands respect from his vast knowledge and experience and he knows what he is doing.

Originally Posted by: Dulak 

Bellichick does so well because he coaches his coaches.
UserPostedImage
sschind
5 years ago

I didn't think he came across as sincere. He kind of came across as inauthentic to me. I mean, can he hit that "family values" talking point a little harder? lol

I think he's gonna be fine, hope he threepeats. Just sayin. Probably just nervous.

EDIT: He gets better as the PC goes on. Murphy's not bad either. I think Gute really has some potential to show some leadership on this team. He seems to have his head on his shoulders.

My first impression of Matt is that his danger is the "smartest guy in the room" complex. If he can avoid that and just get it done, he'll go very far.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

You are right on the family values thing but since he started out with that I kind of give him a pass because he was more than likely pretty nervous and that is understandable. Every article you read about him being hired mentions his meteoric rise or the improbable time frame he took to become a HC. I hope he never comes out and says he didn't expect to get the job but it wouldn't surprise me in the least looking at this as a practice interview for later on in his career. Not that he didn't take it seriously because he obviously did just that he may not have expected to get the job.
Zero2Cool
5 years ago
The more I hear clips, the less confident I am in our new head coach. I am one to always try an give benefit of doubt and be positive, but something just feels off. I listen to other head coaches and they have a sense of command about them where Matt seems like he's walking on eggshells. I really need to hear more from Matt to get this first impression erased as quickly as possible. As of now, I'm not really excited to see the Packers play.

It's just a lot of little things ... like the 'I fully intend on calling the plays' and the numerous times that he said something and looked over at Brian and Mark as if to ask "is this ok to say?" and his comments about his chat with Aaron Rodgers.

I am certainly open to be swayed ... but as of now ... I'm just not that confident.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
5 years ago

Bellichick does so well because he coaches his coaches.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Great you mentioned Bellichick, I'm hoping that is the kind of press conferences we get from Lefleur once April 1st comes around.

I don't need to know all the inside information that is being spewed about now by the CEO.

Do the fluff, throw out a whole lot of missinformation and put his plan together.

We as fans don't need to know everything!
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
porky88
5 years ago
I don’t care about how he sounds in a press conference. Can he get results on the field? By all accounts, LaFleur was on his way to becoming a head coach, but I do fear that teams are hiring guys before they are ready in hope of finding the next Sean McVay. One year of play-calling worries me, but I do like how he cut his teeth under the Shanahan’s.
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
Handling the press and press conferences are acquired skills, and the kid doesn't yet have them yet because he hasn't had to have them.

Per previous posters, I couldn't care less if he is somewhat ambiguous about his answers...maybe the man actually thinks about things before making decisions. And perhaps he doesn't make knee jerk decisions just to sound authoritative, macho, or tough.

Can he get a staff that coaches and implements his vision....can he get players to play when it counts....we shall see.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (9h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

23h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.