Zero2Cool
5 years ago

Micheal Rodney, spreading the click bait bullshit every writer who needs followers.

45 of the 53 sacks last year came after 4.5 seconds.

Let's not let facts get in the way of your bullshit Micheal!

Hopefully Aaron decides he wants to run Lefleurs offense this year, that should take care of most of the problem.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

You accurately explain Michael Rodney, and then say something like the quote below which is exactly what Rodney does! Come on man!!

Aaron got his hand picked coach, he probably doesn't want to embarrass him and get him fired
Packers will be fine.

UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

The Packers were in the middle of the NFL both in terms of success rate of running on 1st and 10 (per attempt) and success in making it on 3rd and short when rushing.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

Where does it say per attempt on the 1st and 10 stat? ... that looks like a total ... which completely chaning the outlook of the stat.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?year=&type=Rushing&range=NFL&rank=016 

I wasn't, thanks for posting these stats! I've been telling you the OL/rushing isn't as bad as you're saying.

Percentage/Average Stat
#2 in yards per carry
#1 in first down per carry
#18 in stuffs per carry
#13 on percentage 3rd and short conversion
#3 in TDs on runs percentage inside the 3 yard line
#32 in rushing percentage
#2 on yards per carry of the first 10 rushes in a game
#11 on yards per carry of the 11-20 rushes in a game
Other than the stuffs, the Packers are in the top 13 in all rushing percentage/average numbers

Total stats (which are strongly effected by the fact the Packers are #32 in rushing attempts)
#14 in rushing first downs
#6 in fumbles lost (negative stat), HORRIBLE considering the low rushing attempts... and looks like most were on QBs as the Aaron Jones and Williams totaled for 1 all year)
#15 in rushes over 10 yards
#27 in stuffed (negative stat) (being #32 in rushing attempts helps this stat)
#21 in rushing yards on 1st and 10 (not surprising considering low rushing attempts)

These numbers are telling as it concerns ability to run the ball when it counts , and it would seem the Packers were not horrible, just average.

If you look at the percentage / average, I would say the efficiency was above average... the biggest problems were 1) Not enough run plays were actually run (that's on the play callers), 2) The fumbles stat is horrible (most on the QBs) 3) The stuff per carry rate ... but the rest of the percentage / average stats looked good.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, The need (at least) a very good, and I would prefer dominant right guard and adequate back up at right tackle.

I think we'd all want dominating players at every Packers position and adequate back-ups at them all too! 😁
It's what brings us together [cheers]
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
5 years ago

You accurately explain Michael Rodney, and then say something like the quote below which is exactly what Rodney does! Come on man!!

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I think I explained myself when I replied to whomever called my statement a crock of shit!!!!!

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
go.pack.go.
5 years ago

I think I explained myself when I replied to whomever called my statement a crock of shit!!!!!

He did not “hand pick” his coach. He may have been consulted with after he was interviewed, just like all of the 9 players on that committee they made (can’t remember what they called it).

Regardless, wouldn’t you rather Aaron approve of the coach & get along with him, as opposed to not liking the hire & butting heads with him the entire time? Only makes sense & I personally am glad that his opinion may have been part of the hire.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

I too think your statement is a crock of shit. You phrased it as if it is fact, and it is not a fact, it is your cynical (my opinion of your opinion) opinion. You're free to state it, of course, but yeah, to say he hand picked Matt LaFleur? No. Nothing even comes close to supporting that opinion, yet you keep throwing it down our throats as if it's fact.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
5 years ago

Where does it say per attempt on the 1st and 10 stat? ... that looks like a total ... which completely chaning the outlook of the stat.

I wasn't, thanks for posting these stats! I've been telling you the OL/rushing isn't as bad as you're saying.

Percentage/Average Stat
#2 in yards per carry
#1 in first down per carry
#18 in stuffs per carry
#13 on percentage 3rd and short conversion
#3 in TDs on runs percentage inside the 3 yard line
#32 in rushing percentage
#2 on yards per carry of the first 10 rushes in a game
#11 on yards per carry of the 11-20 rushes in a game
Other than the stuffs, the Packers are in the top 13 in all rushing percentage/average numbers

Total stats (which are strongly effected by the fact the Packers are #32 in rushing attempts)
#14 in rushing first downs
#6 in fumbles lost (negative stat), HORRIBLE considering the low rushing attempts... and looks like most were on QBs as the Aaron Jones and Williams totaled for 1 all year)
#15 in rushes over 10 yards
#27 in stuffed (negative stat) (being #32 in rushing attempts helps this stat)
#21 in rushing yards on 1st and 10 (not surprising considering low rushing attempts)

If you look at the percentage / average, I would say the efficiency was above average... the biggest problems were 1) Not enough run plays were actually run (that's on the play callers), 2) The fumbles stat is horrible (most on the QBs) 3) The stuff per carry rate ... but the rest of the percentage / average stats looked good.

I think we'd all want dominating players at every Packers position and adequate back-ups at them all too! 😁
It's what brings us together [cheers]

Originally Posted by: beast 

That's a pretty throrough analysis.

I think our o-line is pretty good and while I really like the breakdown and these stats, I also find it hard to say that they prove our O-line's worth. Mainly because no one actually respects the run game when you always abandon it in critical situations and the fact that every defense respects Rodgers' ability quite a bit.

It's the same as with Coleman for the Falcons or Kamara for the Saints. Defenses, understandably, just don't respect the run. None of those runners got over 200 carries on the year, while posting 4.6, 4.8 en 5.5 ypc.

Again, I think our O-line is pretty good, though, and that the sensationalist headline used by Micheal Rodney is pure BS. Haven't read it any further, as I refuse to get him more ad revenue by posting bullshit clickbait.

That said, if you just look at the PFF numbers, it's pretty clear our guards can use an upgrade, much like the eye-test already proved to most. Bell, especially, is nowhere near a starting-caliber player.

LT - David Bakhtiari - 88.4 (Nr. 1 T)
LG - Lane Taylor - 64.3 (Nr. 25 G)
C - Corey Linsley - 73.7 (Nr. 7 C)
RG - Byron Bell - 47.4 (Nr. 72 G)
RT - Bryan Bulaga - 75.0 (Nr. 20 T)

I just don't agree with KRK about agressively pursuing guards, who hold very little positional value, early on in the draft or spending big in free agency. It's a hole you can fill with a day 2 selection or just a cheap guy in FA. I'd love to see us get a guy like Levitre in for a year and just draft two T/Gs on day 3.

Levitre should come relatively cheap at 33 years of age and having lost the 2018 season to injury and guards is pretty much the position to draft and develop.
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
RM said

I just don't agree with KRK about agressively pursuing guards, who hold very little positional value, early on in the draft or spending big in free agency.

I think you’re half right. Is my understanding that Lane Taylor was hurt a lot of the year. He was decent in previous years. So let’s assume that’s the case. But I fundamentally disagree that the position has a weak value such that you can scheme around a weak link at right guard and expect to be a top level offense. I’m not saying you’re wrong and I’m right, I’m saying we have a difference in philosophy.

I also believe that there’s something fundamentally to be improved about the way our line run blocks. Perhaps it’s scheme, and perhaps it’s coaching. If our general manager and the new head coach didn’t believe that, Campen would still be here.

However, IMO, if you want to have a Super Bowl caliber offense, you can’t keep patching has/beens and never-weres at the right guard position.

My preferred move would be to get Massey at right tackle from the Bears, weakening them and strengthening us. You slide Bulaga into right guard, thus strengthening two positions and giving yourself a back up at right tackle. Plan B is Saffold from the Rams.

In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Smokey
5 years ago
KRK, I half agree with you. As great as Bulaga has been, time waits for no man. He also has become more injury troubled too. A ready starting OT from the draft is difficult to come by. The step up to the NFL level, to me, is like going from catching a 6 lb Bass to landing a 600 lb Tuna. The weight and endurance training alone requires from 1 to 2 seasons. Also the greater speed of the game requires an adjustment s well. That is why GB and other teams acquire good linemen from the top quality colleges and get them ready to replace a Bulaga or other in the near future.

If I were building a team from scratch, I'd begin with the BEEF on the O and D lines. They are the foundation of a team and all else grows from the strong roots that the lines must furnish. I'd cheer if GB were to choose a OT first in the April draft, but I suspect that an Edge Rusher will be GB's first choice. That is also a great way to go as well.

Perhaps the FA market will resolve this choice and make GB's first draft pick a more agreed upon one.
UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

It's the same as with Coleman for the Falcons or Kamara for the Saints. Defenses, understandably, just don't respect the run. None of those runners got over 200 carries on the year, while posting 4.6, 4.8 en 5.5 ypc.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

Packers and Falcons were two of the three teams (Steelers were the other) that ran the ball less than 35% of the time... so of course if it's not balanced defense are going to focus on the one that offenses are doing the clear majority of the time...

As for the Saints, I don't think we can say teams don't respect Kamara... he touched the ball 275 times, that's one touch short of doubling the next higher Saints weapon (which was another RB), so in some respects that Saints (Rams and Patriots) offenses is/are built around getting the RB going to opening up the passing game for Michael Thomas and Alvin Kamara.

And less than 15 players in the NFL had 200 carries... less than 10 had 220 carries... again that's more a coaching decision of going with a single featured RB or multiple RBs and injuries. David Johnson, Jordan Howard and Peyton Barber all got over 230 carries and less than 4 yards per carry... I don't think defenses necessary respect them, heck I wasn't even sure what team Barber was on... and I was more concerned about a different Bears RB (Tarik Cohen) when we faced them.

As I believe KRK said, reportedly Taylor was banged up though out the year... but he seems to be an average NFL starting OG (we have just gotten used to above average OGs with Sitton/Lang), but I honestly believe simply running the ball more often and having short pass plays, would help the OL a hell of a lot... all these 3.5+ extending the play forever is putting max pressure on the OL... and the OGs (who are less talented) are at times failing to hold up.

But I fundamentally disagree that the position has a weak value such that you can scheme around a weak link at right guard and expect to be a top level offense. I’m not saying you’re wrong and I’m right, I’m saying we have a difference in philosophy.

Philosophy has absolutely nothing to do with it.... because scheme around implies you're actually willing to look outside what you want to do... while philosophy implies what you want to do...

When one is actually willing to scheme around (and not locked into a single philosophy, or unwilling to consider anything outside their philosophy), a single weak interior OL is easiest position to scheme around...

My preferred move would be to get Massey at right tackle from the Bears, weakening them and strengthening us. You slide Bulaga into right guard, thus strengthening two positions and giving yourself a back up at right tackle. Plan B is Saffold from the Rams.

I'll never understand why fans some want to move the better pass blocker to OG and the worse pass blocking to OT... it makes absolutely no sense to me.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
In fairness, I don't think the Molder of Rocks was saying that guards don't have much value to the scheme or the offense. I think he was saying that they don't have much financial value and that therefore there's no point in wasting money chasing talent in the high rounds of the draft. Equivalent talent can be obtained more affordably in later rounds or in free agency.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (16h) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (21h) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM