Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 5:51:58 PM(UTC)
https://theinsidezone.co...-101-offensive-personnel

“21” Personnel
As explained, “21” would mean 2 backs and 1 tight end, leaving you with 2 wide receivers. This personnel is also named as “regular”. This is pretty balanced personnel as you have 2 wide receivers with the option to use your tight end or running back in the passing game but also the tight end and fullback for the running game.

Here is how it can look on the field:
UserPostedImage

This is the Denver Broncos using “21” personnel. In this particular play, Denver run the ball with running back CJ Anderson. The opposing defense respect a possible pass play with a single high safety.

“11” Personnel
“11” personnel (also named “Posse”) is very popular in the NFL as it is very versatile. “11” meaning 1 running back and 1 tight end, so that leaves you with 3 wide receivers. When people see 3 wide receivers, they think “passing play” but its not always the case. You still have a tight end on the field who can block in the run game but you can also use wide receivers as blockers (crack toss, crack sweep) with an option to run trick plays like reverses or end around plays. Let’s look at this personnel’s versatility:

UserPostedImage

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are in “11” personnel. This is a common look when using “11” personnel with your X, Z and slot receiver in the game with the tight end lined up as an in-line Y.

UserPostedImage

The Pittsburgh Steelers are in “11” personnel but this lineup is different from the previous photo. In this play, the Steelers have a running back in the backfield but they have lined up the tight end on the outside on the line of scrimmage. In this play, the Steelers are using a “four verticals” concept, the post route from the slot looks to attack between the safeties.

UserPostedImage

The Minnesota Vikings are in “11” personnel and operate the play out of a bunch formation. Using sail concept against the New Orleans Saints, this is the game winning miracle in the 2018 NFL playoff game.

“12” Personnel
“12” personnel, also called “Ace”, is very popular in the NFL for the running game due to the extra tight end. “12” personnel uses 1 running back and 2 tight ends, using 2 tight ends on the line of scrimmage gives you 7 big blockers. The New England Patriots used “12” personnel very well as they were able to use it heavily in the passing game.

Here is a look at how it can be used:
UserPostedImage

This is the Atlanta Falcons using “12” personnel in the redzone. They line everyone tight showing a possible run play like crack toss or crack sweep. What they actually do is use wider receiver Julio Jones to run an end around but will receive the ball through a pass and not a hand off.

“22” Personnel

This is a very run heavy personnel as there are 2 running backs (can be 1 running back, 1 fullback) and 2 tight ends. This personnel is also called “Tank”. It can also be called “Tank Plus” which is when they have an extra offensive lineman in instead of a second tight end.

Here is a look:
UserPostedImage

Here is the Denver Broncos using “22” personnel who have a tight end on either side of the offensive line. This run heavy look gets the Indianapolis Colts to have 9 defenders in the box.

Other Personnel groupings
“13” personnel (Heavy) – 1RB, 3TE, 1WR

“00” personnel – 0RB, 0TE, 5WR

“01” personnel – 0RB, 1TE, 4WR

“02” personnel – 0RB, 2TE, 3WR

“10” personnel – 1RB, 0TE, 4WR

“20” personnel – 2RB, 0TE, 3WR

“23” personnel – 2RB, 3TE, 0WR

KRK  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2019 9:39:08 AM(UTC)
excellent post

I wonder whether offenses make tendencies so much easier to track when they always use the same players at the same positions.

Why not use regularly a TE in the backfield instead or a running back? The can block, they can routes out of the backfield (heck they could run it or catch a screen as well.) This tactic would confuse defenses and potentially allow more advantageous match-ups. (Like when we innovatively used Montgomery out of the backfield) Beast has an excellent write-up on receivers out to the backfield in PAYTON BREES thread.

Further if the offense were to motion TE's or WR's out of the backfield, it further confuses defenses and force match-ups in the offenses favor.
Smokey  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2019 8:10:12 AM(UTC)
Z2C, you have presented one of the best threads that I've seen in a long while. Your opening post needs to be carefully studied by myself and this forums members. It can not only educate many that truly need the education, but elevate the level of intelligence in many post as it should lower the amount of disagreements. I tried to present a similar thread not long ago. It profiled the offensive philosophy that HC LaFleur will be using with the Packers. I offer that article again as I believe that it fits perfectly in this thread.

http://www.espn.com/blog/san-fr...lt-by-shanahan-and-mcvay

GoPackGo !
Rss Feed
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Fan Shout
Cheesey (9h) : Yup. They blew it. They had their chances. They never should have lost.
wpr (9h) : #6 ranked Wisconsin lost to pitiful Illinois. I guess they won't make the playoffs. Oh snap.
Zero2Cool (13h) : Chiefs have signed veteran DT Mike Pennel and released DT Terrell McClain, per source.
buckeyepackfan (18-Oct) : opposing QB is David Kizor. Deshones little brother
buckeyepackfan (18-Oct) : Listening to local HSFB opposo
Zero2Cool (18-Oct) : Rodgers still does QB sneak play.
Dulak (18-Oct) : I remember when rodgers used to do those was like his staple ... now he doesnt - doesnt want to get messed up
Dulak (18-Oct) : Not unlucky Kevin ... the QB sneak is one tough thing to do especially for a little guy like mahomes ...
Zero2Cool (18-Oct) : Packers are ruling out Davante Adams vs. the Raiders
Zero2Cool (18-Oct) : Yeah, Aikman was saying Mahomes won't be running due to his ankle injury. Then plays later, QB sneak, and gets hit awkward. Unlucky.
Dulak (18-Oct) : If you guys watched the game; I think the announcers were talking about how he hurt his ankle and needs to be careful with it and then like a couple plays later he does a QB sneak (which is often pret
TheKanataThrilla (18-Oct) : Of course he also misses their game against the Vikings
TheKanataThrilla (18-Oct) : Mahomes out 3 weeks. Will not play against us. We definitely catch a break there.
TheKanataThrilla (18-Oct) : It is an amzaing thing about football. Looked like a pretty simple QB sneak.
Nonstopdrivel (18-Oct) : Patella dislocation—that can be excruciating.
Zero2Cool (18-Oct) : Sure hope the Madden curse didn't bite Mahomes.
Zero2Cool (18-Oct) : @adamteicher They're bringing the cart on the field now for Mahomes.
Zero2Cool (18-Oct) : jerks
buckeyepackfan (17-Oct) : Detroit claims Tra Carson.
Zero2Cool (17-Oct) : Say goodnight to Za'Darius Smith's third-down sack celebrations. He said Matt LaFleur is clamping down on them. Per PackersNews
Cheesey (17-Oct) : Gbguy, you don’t look so good. Time for a SICK DAY!
gbguy20 (17-Oct) : turns out I have to work during the raiders game. how the heck did i manage to schedule myself for that??
Zero2Cool (16-Oct) : Packers signed CB Tremon Smith to practice squad
Zero2Cool (16-Oct) : Packers inquired about Emanuel Sanders.
gbguy20 (16-Oct) : should have been cut in march
Zero2Cool (16-Oct) : averaging fewer yards per target and is on pace to catch fewer passes and gain fewer yards than in 2018.
Zero2Cool (16-Oct) : @zachkruse2 Jimmy Graham had a tough first season in Green Bay in 2018. Through six games in 2019, he's averaging fewer yards per catch, catching a lower percentage of targets, averaging fewer yards p
FLORIDA PACKER88 (16-Oct) : Josh Reynolds ccould be an option as well, seems to run crisp routes and gets good action as a slot,
FLORIDA PACKER88 (16-Oct) : Kupp is most likely off limits, but Cooks or Woods with some decent contracts might allow them to recoup a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Not sure its something we should/would do, but something to think ab
FLORIDA PACKER88 (16-Oct) : Shot in the dark here...but with the Rams dealing...wonder if one of their wideouts might be on the table to recoup a pick?
buckeyepackfan (16-Oct) : Packers Defense had ONE - 5yd penalty called against them all night! FANTASTIC!
Zero2Cool (16-Oct) : Crazy.
Zero2Cool (16-Oct) : Rams acquired Jalen Ramsey from the Jaguars in exchange for a 2020 first-rounder, a 2021 first-rounder, and 2021 fourth-round pick
Mucky Tundra (16-Oct) : Jalen Ramsey traded to the Rams for 2 1st rounders!
Zero2Cool (15-Oct) : Green Bay leads the NFL in “beneficiary yards” this season, which is when a team’s opponent is called for a penalty. The Packers have accrued 501 yards through penalties.
Zero2Cool (15-Oct) : Packers being down 13 and win. They've done it more than anyone in some years. Gotta look that up
Zero2Cool (15-Oct) : Packers' win on Monday night was the first time in 2019 and only the 13th time since 2010 that a team turned the ball over 3 or more times without producing a takeaway and still won the game.
gbguy20 (15-Oct) : oh you guys are referring to the refs. i forgot all about that already
Porforis (15-Oct) : Don't deserve that W... But also haven't deserved a lot of Ls. How many times have we been hosed? Not always even but it roughly evens out
Cheesey (15-Oct) : Our D held them to field goals. Only one TD
Cheesey (15-Oct) : How many times have we been hosed by the refs?
Cheesey (15-Oct) : Yup, true dat. But I’ll take it!!!
gbguy20 (15-Oct) : not sure how you can argue that Kevin
Zero2Cool (15-Oct) : Didn't deserve that W.
buckeyepackfan (14-Oct) : Good Evening Packer Fans! Gamenight! Go! Pack! Go!
Zero2Cool (14-Oct) : True, Packers win, they will have 3 wins already and ain't even half-through season!
Zero2Cool (14-Oct) : Packers lose, then Lions are 1st place alone. Tie helps them.
Porforis (14-Oct) : Minnesota is 4 -2. Packers are 4-1. Yes they'd still hold the tiebreaker over MN if the season ended after tonight but bottom line is, let's win!
Cheesey (14-Oct) : If Packers win, then the worst they can do in the division is 50%
Zero2Cool (14-Oct) : Geez, I guess so. Packers would be .667 Lions would be .700
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2019 Packers Schedule
Thursday, Sep 5 @ 7:20 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
BRONCOS
Thursday, Sep 26 @ 7:20 PM
EAGLES
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Cowboys