buckeyepackfan
5 years ago

Is your first name Richard ? I ask because you act like a .... .

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Smokey, you made me laugh.
As far as your question, he is still Packer property.
Packers control his rights since they drafted him.
He decides he wants to try to play it would be in Green Bay unless they cut/release him.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
gbguy20
5 years ago

Is your first name Richard ? I ask because you act like a .... .

Can we keep things positive please? Thanks!

But some theories revolve around the facts that Madison's former teammate (and reportedly Madison's best friend) committed suicide with a former teammates gun. The gun owner reportedly had no knowledge that the guy had his gun. Madison is a very avid hunter (sometimes with guns).

The rest is speculation, other than I believe Madison was out of town/state doing football work the week of the incident.

Some are wanting to connect those dots, others don't... but either way, he should get the benefit of the doubt until we know more.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Whoa....I had never heard any of that. I wonder how far off that speculation really is. Guilt can d a number on people.
buckeyepackfan
5 years ago

Every GM has good AND bad drafts, including Ted.
What bothered me was his lack of going after free agents that could have pushed us over the top several years.
The year we went 15-1, had we filled a couple holes on defense and even had an “average “ defense, we could have won it all.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Cheesey The Giants kicked The Packers butt in the playoffs.
There was not a FA that Ted could have signed that would have made a difference.

The Giants were the better team that night.

What always baffled me was that Ted would not get credit for resigning The Packers FA's.

The ones he let go were almost always high on the list for other teams.

KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
Yes, that game #4 absolutely sucked in 2nd half, esp at crunch time, which was true in the latter half of his career in many playoff games.

To the thread....if you are not going to sign FA's...one has to do the math...
[list]
  • Step 1 - 22 starters and lets say a punter and PK = 24[/list][list]
  • Average Career length of a starter 6 years (I am pulling this out of the air, but I bet I am not too far off)[/list][list]
  • So it follows that our need at least 4 starters out of each draft[/list]
  • Clearly that draft fell woefully short, as did many others. The thinking was apparently, that given enough supplemental draft picks, plus UDFA's, with awesome scouting and player selection, you didn't need FA's....and when you have either not so awesome scouting or poor player selection....the rest is history.

Packer History suggests that the addition of key FA's is what is necessary to supplement an imperfect draft outcome. When a team doesn't participate meaningfully in FA, its chances of getting to the top are de minimis.
    In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
    wpr
    • wpr
    • Preferred Member Topic Starter
    5 years ago

I think the problem with the 2015 draft was people were saying WTF while the draft was happening. I remember our chat was absolutely stunned with the first 2 selections.

Many pundits and fans were thinking Erick Kendricks and we ended up drafting a safety to play CB and a converted basketball player in the second round. Kendricks turned out to be a great pick for our rivals and we ended up with a guy playing out of position that had issues in the locker room.

Looking through the draft there were not many great players that year. Unfortunately, you can be sure when the fans and draftniks draft you better players than the ones the GM picked you are gonna hear about it.

It is the same reason why everyone is so hard on Kevin King. The fan base wanted Watt. If the fan base thinks they draft better than the GM we have a problem.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

It's the first few rounds that make or break a draft. I don't care about the players taken in rounds 4-7. It's more or less a crap shoot. But Ted acted like he was in Vegas and gambled big time with his first two choices in a year he couldn't afford to take that risk. When he didn't re-sign his CBs he didn't have a good plan to fall back on. If we know it was a down year for talent why in the world wouldn't he know that a year earlier when he had the chance to keep the players he already had?
    Nerd I don't hate Ted. I am simply saying 2015 wasn't a good year for him in part because he tried to out think the rest of the league and grab guys and put them into the wrong position. There has been enough other players taken who excelled in one sport but it doesn't translate to them being good in football.
    UserPostedImage
    Zero2Cool
    5 years ago
    The 2015 wasn't really that great, was it? Our first two picks, (hindsight speaking) I would rather have Landon Collins and Tyler Lockett.
    UserPostedImage
    beast
    5 years ago

The 2015 wasn't really that great, was it? Our first two picks, (hindsight speaking) I would rather have Landon Collins and Tyler Lockett.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

At the time I wanted CB Ronald Darby, WR Tyler Lockett and DE Danielle Hunter.

But your right, 2015 was know for being a weaker draft class even before the draft. Which the Seahawks GM traded their 1st round pick (and more) for TE Jimmy Graham, sighting they only had 12 players with 1st round grades that year.

Whoa....I had never heard any of that. I wonder how far off that speculation really is. Guilt can d a number on people.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Well the Packers are trying not to talk about that stuff out of respect for the people involved. It came from people that either follow or were researching Washington State info.

But yeah at minimum a good friend committed suicide... also I forgot, the friend was found to have CTE which a lot of people are blaming on football

(Though that's partly because they've basically only test football players, as last I've heard, the CTE studies still don't have a control group baseline)

But there are a couple of articles about the player, with Madison being mentioned as pretty close to him (at least as far as the team goes). "They were just absolute best friends" , and despite the other player being a QB, he said he's learning from Madison yes, the Cougars’ starting right tackle is the player he tries to mimic his game after.  
    UserPostedImage
    Smokey
    5 years ago

Smokey, you made me laugh.
    As far as your question, he is still Packer property.
    Packers control his rights since they drafted him.
    He decides he wants to try to play it would be in Green Bay unless they cut/release him.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Cole Madison's rights are acknowledged, but why has he done as he has ? What troubles this fellow ?
    UserPostedImage
    KRK
    • KRK
    • Veteran Member
    5 years ago
    Guys,

I sincerely feel bad for the kid, but let's call a spade a spade here..the kid hasn't played a down in the NFL and hasn't played football in a year. Waiting for him to be the answer at RG is like believing in Santa Claus.

If he comes back and is great...fine, but mentally we have to move on.
    In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
    buckeyepackfan
    5 years ago

Cole Madison's rights are acknowledged, but why has he done as he has ? What troubles this fellow ?

Read some of beasts posts, tells the story.

Everyone handles the death of a family member or close friend in their own way.

Let's just hope the young man can recover and get on with his life, whether footbsll is in his future, imho, is not the most important thing.
    Fan Shout
    dfosterf (15h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
    dfosterf (15h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
    dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
    dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
    beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
    dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
    Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
    Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
    Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
    Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
    Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
    Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
    Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
    Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
    Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
    Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
    Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
    beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
    Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
    dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
    Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
    Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
    Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
    dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
    Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
    Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
    Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
    dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
    Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
    Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
    Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
    Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
    Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
    Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
    beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
    beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
    Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
    Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
    buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
    Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
    Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
    Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
    Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
    Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
    Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.