KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
5 years ago
Beast said:

But it's football, you can't be strong at every position, there just aren't enough good players and cap space to go around.

I suppose...but $5mm signing bonus we reportedly are paying Graham could go a long way to getting a stud RG. I think the money is better spent there.

I think generally, on offense, I am more inclined to spend less on the "skill positions" and spend more on the "fat and uglies."
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
KRK
  • KRK
5 years ago
this is probably a post that both beast and I can agree with, if that’s possible :

https://lombardiave.com/2019/01/29/packers-compare-super-bowl-teams/2/ 

Offensive line

The Patriots have one of the best offensive lines in the NFL. Shaq Mason is a stud at right guard, Trent Brown is a good left tackle, and there are no major holes. Tom Brady’s and Josh McDaniels’ love of getting rid of the football early certainly helps.

The Rams offensive line is good, if not great. Andrew Whitworth is one of the only left tackles in the league who may be as good as David Bakhtiari, and former tackle Rodger Saffold is also a top pass protector at left guard.

The Packers gave up 53 sacks this year, though much of that was more a product of Rodgers and Mike McCarthy than faulty pass protection. Bakhtiari and Bryan Bulaga are outstanding, and Corey Linsley is very good. The right guard spot was a catastrophe this year.

Overall, this unit is a touch below what the Rams and Patriots have, but they’re one right guard away from once again being among the best in the league
Smokey
5 years ago

Brady gets rid of the ball fast. That’s why he isn’t hit much. Rodgers needs to take the short pass that gains 6 or 7 yards and not always look for the long ball. I can’t count the amount of times I have seen Aaron Rodgers have a guy open short, and he ignores him and holds the ball, forcing the o-line to have to block longer then they should have to.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

When Rodgers chooses not to check down to a slot receiver or RB he has a good reason that we don't always see. Film study has showed him that throwing this or that short pass has a good chance of getting picked off. A Safety or LB is known to pick or disrupt that play, but it does not appear so to the fan as they don't know as much as the Pro's do. Also, QB's don't want to "hold" the football. The #1 reason QB's "hold" on to a football is that their receivers are covered. If 1 or more WRs can't get open within a 3 to 4 second window, the QB is in jeparity.

GB's new offensive system will place more upon the running attack, while at the same time more sweeps and short passes will be run. The change will come from having players in place to block as soon as the receiver catches the football. The long ball will still be a part of the playbook, but it should not be such a desperation play as in seasons past.

I can't say just which WRs, RBs, and TEs that HC LaFleur will want or not want. Adams is the only lock that I see among them. What we don't see is the hard work that is being done right now regarding this and other team/player issues. I'm glad that they are quiet about their plans for the 2019 Packers. I believe that Allison will come back strong, and the 2nd yr WRs will shine in the new Packer offense. An offense that relies on good blocking from it's TEs. I could see Graham/Perry used in trade deals to acquire a TE or Edge Rusher or WR from another team. Fackrell and Burks could become more visible as they return with Martinez and Ryan.

GB's new offensive system will be modeled to look much like the current LA Rams offense. Even with injuries to players like Cooper Kupp and even to Gurley they have found their team playing in a SB game. GB can do this too next season if good decisions, as have already been made, continue.

[cheers]

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
5 years ago
Smokey, that may be true sometimes. That we can’t see everything. But many times replays showed a guy wide open short, where throwing right away to him would pick up yardage.
Plus that would open up guys long, as the D has to honor the short pass. You think defenses don’t know that Aaron Rodgers ignores the short pass? If I can see it, you KNOW defense coaches see it.
He used to hit guys fast coming across the middle, and that has been missing for years now.
Hopefully the new scheme will take that kind of play into consideration.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
5 years ago
I'll ask Aaron when he and Danica return home from their New Zealand trip. He might say that he did not trust his receivers or that he can't see everything all of the time or that Monday morning QBs always have the right decisions. I'm sure that loads of replies can be given.

He could even say "RELAX" and stop trying to do his job. 😁
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
5 years ago
No one can see everything. But has his eyesight got so bad the last couple of years that he suddenly is far sighted??? 😂
He USED to be able to hit the guys short. Maybe a trip to the eye doctor is needed!
UserPostedImage
Smokey
5 years ago

No one can see everything. But has his eyesight got so bad the last couple of years that he suddenly is far sighted??? 😂
He USED to be able to hit the guys short. Maybe a trip to the eye doctor is needed!

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Short passes don't always come soft and accurate. All too often they are thrown because pressure is breathing down your neck and the short pass is your safety valve go to. HC LaFleur's system will be different from past GB Offenses and the short pass should be a more regular part of the offense. Much of that will depend on WRs, TEs, and RBs that can get open and catch footballs. Blaming a QB because his supporting cast aren't doing their jobs is like blaming the road because the rain got the road wet.

Watch the SB and observe the Rams Offense, that is where GB's Offense is headed. They are unpredictable and have the personal to execute well run plays.
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
5 years ago
Smokey, some good points.

In the past most of our passes to RB's were dump offs. I would like to see more planned schemes to hit our guys in stride and let them rack up some YAK
Smokey
5 years ago

Smokey, some good points.

In the past most of our passes to RB's were dump offs. I would like to see more planned schemes to hit our guys in stride and let them rack up some YAK

Originally Posted by: KRK 

Yes, we like to YAK. [frust]
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago

YAK

Originally Posted by: KRK 

Yards after kickoff? 😕

UserPostedImage