mi_keys
15 years ago

Couple of things i thought were interesting. I typed "Ted Thompson" in the search bar on yahoo.com. First thing that comes up in the search help area is "Fire Ted Thompson"

And your point is?

Anyway, you're wrong about him "taking a 4-12 team to 8-8 and then 14-4, before this year's mediocre 5-7".

No actually, that happened.

Rodgers has 3-5 good receivers and an O-line which is intact from last year and should be improving.

Or maybe signe a free agent we could use at o-line

So the o-line is great when we're talking about how much it's helped Rodgers... but it's horrible when it comes to the job Ted Thompson has done.

Thompson took over right after the 2004 season which we were 10-6. In fact we were no worse than 10-6 for 4 years before Ted Thompson came to town. After Ted Thompson took over, and took all Favres support away, he had his worst season ever and the packers won 4 games. Once he gave Favre some of the support take away from him, they went 8-8, 13-3. Dumped Favre adn you see what we now have.

You clearly have no idea how awful Sherman was as a GM and how completely and utterly he corroded our team so once a couple of those few remaining Wolfe players were let go (of whom most have done dick since leaving) the team collapsed (though a whole lot more happened that season to just compound every problem). Also, as someone else said he didn't "dump," Favre, he retired. But I'm (and everyone else for that matter) sick of discussing that whole mess.

This IDIOT gives Aaron Rodgers a HUGE contract after proving nothing.

Really!? Really!? Rodgers has his flaws. Rodgers has made his mistakes. But to say he's proven nothing is so absolutely ludicrous I can't believe I'm actually giving you the time of day. Rodgers is arguably under more pressure than any other qb in the league this year and through 12 games he has more total touchdowns than Favre had through 12 games last year (24 to 22) and the same number of total turnovers (13). Anyone who tells you they thought he'd play this well this year is lying to your face. I mean, when was the last time a quarterback came in and played this well after a legend left, Steve Young? It's proven to be one of the most difficult things for a player to do in the NFL, fill a legend's shoes, and Rodgers has done an admirable job to say the least. Also, when was the last time a quarterback played this well in their first year for the Packers? Rodgers has things to learn and improve upon, such as his two minute drives to come back and win (as discussed ad nauseam in another thread), but he has proven more than any of us could've hoped for this year.

Problem is this, he does nto have the confidence in his drafting ability which is why he stockpiles a bunch of picks so that hopefully one will work out. If he doesnt have the ability to see the real talent in the draft, maybe he shouldnt be handling it.

Aaron Rodgers
Nick Collins
Brady Poppinga
AJ Hawk
Greg Jennings
Jason Spitz
Will Blackmon
Johnny Jolly
Brandon Jackson
James Jones
Aaron Rouse
Korey Hall
Mason Crosby
Jordy Nelson
...just to name some of the players he's brought in through the draft.
Born and bred a cheesehead
yooperfan
15 years ago
I'll give you Arron Rodgers, Greg Jennings and Mason Crosby as good picks, the rest including #5 overall pick Hawk are marginal at this point.
The jury is still out on Jordy Nelson.
And then there is Justin Harrell, #1 pick, he has bust written all over him.
Then you have Barbre and Giacomoni, they were great picks to upgrade the offensive line.
All GMs hit and miss. Ted has done a good job at making this team younger and adding depth, I just don't think at this point he has been good at adding NFL caliber quality starters.
Gravedigga
15 years ago

Couple of things i thought were interesting. I typed "Ted Thompson" in the search bar on yahoo.com. First thing that comes up in the search help area is "Fire Ted Thompson"

"mi_keys" wrote:

And your point is?

My point is that nobody likes him except a few select people who he probably pays to spread good word about him.

Anyway, you're wrong about him "taking a 4-12 team to 8-8 and then 14-4, before this year's mediocre 5-7".

No actually, that happened.

No, like i said. We were 10-6 before the grey haird freak came to town. He got rid of our lineman and replaced injured starting running backs and receivers with guys named Taco and Samkon who cant cut it in Div 2 football

Rodgers has 3-5 good receivers and an O-line which is intact from last year and should be improving.

Or maybe signe a free agent we could use at o-line

So the o-line is great when we're talking about how much it's helped Rodgers... but it's horrible when it comes to the job Ted Thompson has done.

I said the O-line is intact. I didnt say it was a great line. But Favre had a career low in sacks with the line and with his passing threat, the opposing defenses played off the ball more allowing us to run the ball.

Thompson took over right after the 2004 season which we were 10-6. In fact we were no worse than 10-6 for 4 years before Ted Thompson came to town. After Ted Thompson took over, and took all Favres support away, he had his worst season ever and the packers won 4 games. Once he gave Favre some of the support take away from him, they went 8-8, 13-3. Dumped Favre adn you see what we now have.

You clearly have no idea how awful Sherman was as a GM and how completely and utterly he corroded our team so once a couple of those few remaining Wolfe players were let go (of whom most have done dick since leaving) the team collapsed (though a whole lot more happened that season to just compound every problem). Also, as someone else said he didn't "dump," Favre, he retired. But I'm (and everyone else for that matter) sick of discussing that whole mess.

Like i said, 4 years before Ted Thompson came here. 12-4, 12-4, 10-6, 10-6. Once he got here, 4-12, 8-8, 13-3, 5-7. But go right ahead. Get on your knees guys and praise the mad genious for saving our franchise. I'm not sure what dimension some of you guys are in.

This IDIOT gives Aaron Rodgers a HUGE contract after proving nothing.

Really!? Really!? Rodgers has his flaws. Rodgers has made his mistakes. But to say he's proven nothing is so absolutely ludicrous I can't believe I'm actually giving you the time of day. Rodgers is arguably under more pressure than any other qb in the league this year and through 12 games he has more total touchdowns than Favre had through 12 games last year (24 to 22) and the same number of total turnovers (13). Anyone who tells you they thought he'd play this well this year is lying to your face. I mean, when was the last time a quarterback came in and played this well after a legend left, Steve Young? It's proven to be one of the most difficult things for a player to do in the NFL, fill a legend's shoes, and Rodgers has done an admirable job to say the least. Also, when was the last time a quarterback played this well in their first year for the Packers? Rodgers has things to learn and improve upon, such as his two minute drives to come back and win (as discussed ad nauseam in another thread), but he has proven more than any of us could've hoped for this year.

He has proven he can lead us to 5-7 thus far. Hardly worth a pre-mature 65 mil contract. Doesnt Ted Thompson take a hard line stance when it comes to contracts? But for his golden boy, he gives him an extension and over pays him.. Why? Jennings deserved an extension. Some of that money he spent could have gone to suring up our pathetic O-line and getting a vet qb behind rodgers or maybe a legit pass coverage linebacker or two instead of going garage sale hunting for 50 cent linebackers. Remember Ryan Grant, Javon Walker, Al Harris & others as well who wanted contracts. It took them almost threatening to hold out to get him to even give them a small increase in pay. But Rodgers shows himself to be a decent qb maybe and Ted Thompson gives him Brady & Manning type money. Huge risk for a very inconsistent quarterback.

Problem is this, he does nto have the confidence in his drafting ability which is why he stockpiles a bunch of picks so that hopefully one will work out. If he doesnt have the ability to see the real talent in the draft, maybe he shouldnt be handling it.

Aaron Rodgers - UNPROVEN
Nick Collins - DECENT
Brady Poppinga - DECENT
AJ Hawk - DISSAPOINTING FOR #5 OVERALL
Greg Jennings - VERY GOOD
Jason Spitz - NOTHING SPECIAL
Will Blackmon - GREAT RETURNER
Johnny Jolly - PURPLE DRANK
Brandon Jackson - NICE BACKUP
James Jones - NOT A DIFFERENCE MAKER
Aaron Rouse - GOOD BACKUP PROVEN NOTHING AS STATER
Korey Hall - DOES HE EVEN PLAY
Mason Crosby - AVERAGE KICKER
Jordy Nelson - UNPROVEN
...just to name some of the players he's brought in through the draft.

Jury is still out on all of them except for Jennings. I dont see a pro bowler or future pro bowler except for Jennings. For the most part, they are guys who add depth and can be an occasional spot starter. You are trying to list all of his draft picks as some kind of amazing thing. Just because we do not have a better player in place to start, does not make them a legit starter. By your logic, Jamarcus Russell and Fitzpatrick in Cincinatti are great players just because they are starting quarterbacks. Dont work that way. I think it's really cute how you happened to omit Harrell by the way. While we're at it, 2nd rounder Terrence Murphy, Marviel Underwood, Daryn Colledge(2nd round), Abdul Hodge(3rd round), Brian "bust" Brohm(2nd round), Patrick Lee(shown nothing). I really like how you forgot to mention these ground breaking draft picks. So basically, he drafted a bunch of busts, a bunch of below average players and one or two gems and some people want to label him a genious. I'm glad I got a chance to look this stuff up. Confirms what I already knew about him. Go Jets!!
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
go.pack.go.
15 years ago

I'll give you Arron Rodgers, Greg Jennings and Mason Crosby as good picks, the rest including #5 overall pick Hawk are marginal at this point.
Then you have Barbre and Giacomoni, they were great picks to upgrade the offensive line.
All GMs hit and miss. Ted has done a good job at making this team younger and adding depth, I just don't think at this point he has been good at adding NFL caliber quality starters.

"yooperfan" wrote:

So what are you saying about Hawk? He isn't ready to start in the NFL?
UserPostedImage
dhazer
15 years ago
plain and simple heres the one stat that sticks out 0-5 in final 2 minute drives i say enough said on Rodgers. He is over paid and we are stuck with it till Ted Thompson does the leap out of the skybox.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
dingus
15 years ago
"Like i said, 4 years before Ted Thompson came here. 12-4, 12-4, 10-6, 10-6. Once he got here, 4-12, 8-8, 13-3, 5-7. But go right ahead. Get on your knees guys and praise the mad genious for saving our franchise. I'm not sure what dimension some of you guys are in."

And where did those stellar records get us those 4 years? 1 and done except for one.
blank
dingus
15 years ago

plain and simple heres the one stat that sticks out 0-5 in final 2 minute drives i say enough said on Rodgers. He is over paid and we are stuck with it till Ted Thompson does the leap out of the skybox.

"dhazer" wrote:

He's a first year QB. Don't you think he deserves some time to grow?

You obviously don't remember Lord Favres first couple of seasons.
blank
Gravedigga
15 years ago

"go.pack.go." wrote:

So what are you saying about Hawk? He isn't ready to start in the NFL?

"yooperfan" wrote:

I think what he's saying is that you expect more than "a guy who is able to start" when you draft a linebacker at #5. You can not miss when you take a linebacker that high. Just being an average player is a big miss at this point.
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
go.pack.go.
15 years ago
Who was a better LB that they could have taken?
UserPostedImage
Gravedigga
15 years ago

Who was a better LB that they could have taken?

"go.pack.go." wrote:

At the end of the day, Ted Thompson is a "best player available" kind of person. Look at this link showing the first round of the draft.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/index 

There are many better players than hawk in that draft. There were at least 12 first rounders drafted after Hawk i'd rather have on the roster. Impact players, studs, pro bowlers and future pro bowlers who cost much less than Hawk. Hawk will never be a pro bowler. I'm glad we have him and he is decent and i like him but thats the truth. Some of the others i dont know who they are so i cant comment.
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said