wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago
Nothing new here.
People have been saying for years that Rodgers is still bitter about not being drafted by SF even though he came out and said that he was upset in 2005 but he got over it. He also said I can't play my whole NFL career carrying a grudge around. (My version.)
Mike and Aaron had a few disagreements. I am sure every QB/HC have had a few.
As far as the contract extension, it a two edge sword. Teams with future HoF players especially QBs have this burden. Very few teams walk away from a QB who still clearly has a few years left in the tank. They pay up and watch the face of the organization fade. Ignore the Favre-Rodgers fiasco, look at the way people lost their mind in SF when they let Joe Montana go to KC even though he missed all of the 1991 and most of the 92 seasons and Steve Young was the league MVP in 92. Franchise QBs tend to retire with the team that drafted them.
Waiting to extend Rodger's contract wold only have cost them more money as salaries escalate.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
5 years ago

Speak for yourself, and let others speak for themselves. What you say would not have been true of me. I've long been vocal in my opposition to the absurdly large contacts that get handed out to quarterbacks.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Sorry Non....I guess I have to go back to putting “JMO” at the end of all of my posts.
Didn’t mean to offend you.

Like WPR said, most teams that have future HOF QBs either go out on a limb and sign them to big contracts, or end up losing them and going back to being mediocre.
(Oh....it’s not exactly as he said, but kind of like he said).
UserPostedImage
earthquake
5 years ago

I was saying at the time, don't give it to him. I've also been calling for Mike to hold Aaron accountable, for years.

Hopefully the recent moves will solve the majority of our problems.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Hmmm, so you're saying you've said this stuff before? I must have missed it the first 8,701 times.
blank
Zero2Cool
5 years ago
Aaron's radio show he said he liked to give Mike a hard time about the whole draft thing. He also said it isn't a big deal. I'm guessing others saw him having fun with it and took it as he isn't over it and holding a grudge about it.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago

Aaron's radio show he said he liked to give Mike a hard time about the whole draft thing. He also said it isn't a big deal. I'm guessing others saw him having fun with it and took it as he isn't over it and holding a grudge about it.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Aaron's grudge holding is well known.

At his best, it fuels him. At it's worst, it may become destructive of his own team.

Maybe it was for the best. Maybe Mike really was "complacent." Fact is, if Aaron's mental problems continue with the new coach, everyone is gonna be looking at HIM as the problem. Aaron doesn't want that.

Therefore it is in Aaron's best interest to shut his pie hole, get down with his new coach, and prove Mike wrong by going out and getting some rings. He has no other way out at this point. If this fails, it's gonna be put on HIM, right or wrong. (And probably rightly so, imo.)
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

Aaron's grudge holding is well known.

At his best, it fuels him. At it's worst, it may become destructive of his own team.

Maybe it was for the best. Maybe Mike really was "complacent." Fact is, if Aaron's mental problems continue with the new coach, everyone is gonna be looking at HIM as the problem. Aaron doesn't want that.

Therefore it is in Aaron's best interest to shut his pie hole, get down with his new coach, and prove Mike wrong by going out and getting some rings. He has no other way out at this point. If this fails, it's gonna be put on HIM, right or wrong. (And probably rightly so, imo.)

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Aaron isn't talking about this stuff. So, how is it him who needs to shut his pie hole?
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
Pro Football Talk pontificated

As ProFootballTalk points out, Green Bay kind of painted itself into a corner with the huge deal and may have made a massive mistake.

Well I guess if PFT says it, it HAS to be true.

What drivel...(with all due respect to Dr. NonStopDrivel, hereinafter known as DrNSD) these same 'experts' were bitching about Rodgers' contract status hand-cuffing our free agency strategy because there was no certainty. Now that there is certainty, it was a mistake....irritating second guessers. Notwithstanding, I am not including and greatly respect the opinions of Nerdmann (and others) who AT THE TIME, said it was a mistake....we simply just disagree.

Earthquake (herein after EQ) elucidated:

The flip side to this whole premise is that, had they not sorted out the contract, not only would they be dealing with the McCarthy drama, a new HC, they would also be playing chicken with their star QB. If you think what's gone on in the last years was dysfunctional, you don't even want to know what that would have looked like.

AMEN...SPOT ON If anyone was worried about Rodgers' leverage over this last coaching decision, how much more leverage might he have had if he had not signed a contract.

Further, EQ noted:

. In 2 or 3 years the contract could look like a steal, it could look fair, or it could look terrible.

Absolutely correct!!! They made the call, and I for one am glad they did.

In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
dyeah_gb
5 years ago
I was opposed to a big contract with AR. He was coming off his second broken collar bone and the only data post surgery was the panthers game where he performed very poorly. With a franchise tag we could have kept Aaron Rodgers for at least two years without resigning. When you are looking to make your QB the highest paid player in the league, the franchise tag can be a discount.

Last year's draft seemed like a great opportunity to start developing the heir-apparent like we did at the end Favre's time in GB. Trying to capture lightening in a bottle three times in a row is going to require major smarts on both the management and the coaches.

I think it was a stupid move and may come back to haunt Gute depending on how 12 performs. He bet alot on one player. To his credit Gute also is making moves to try to inject talent at positions of need to lessen the burden on Aaron Rodgers and make the team more competitive.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
Cheesey
5 years ago
Was giving him the big contract a gamble? Yes. But he still is one of the best QBs in the NFL. I for one am not in a hurry to return to the 1970s and 1980s, where we considered beating the Bears one game made it a good season.
The younger people on this site have no idea what it’s like to be long time losers. They are used to the Packers being competitive.
The chances of getting another great QB to follow Favre and Rodgers is slim at best.
Look at all the teams in the NFL that have drafted QB after QB, HOPING to get one that would be their franchise QB, only to have another bust.
We have been so fortunate.
We just had 2 bad seasons. Imagine having that for the next 20 or so years.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago

Aaron isn't talking about this stuff. So, how is it him who needs to shut his pie hole?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

When it comes to changing plays in the huddle. When it comes to telling rookies they need to "earn his trust" by not running the play that was called.

One might even suggest it was Aaron who was spreading all the bad rumors about Mike getting massages. And oh yeah, maybe now he can make his pie hole not open on the topic of Alex Smith.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (4h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (15h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (15h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (21h) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.