Discussion Board
Zero2Cool
Or maybe because ya just weren't that good?
Michael David Smith wrote:

Tony Mandarich is included on any list of the biggest draft busts in NFL history, and he says his story is a cautionary tale not for NFL scouts who struggle to identify the top prospects coming out of college, but for NFL players who struggle with substance abuse. Mandarich said in a long interview with [more]

Continue Reading @ Michael David Smith 

KRK
A bust indeed.

But give the guy credit for coming back and playing effectively for the Colts. The staff in Green Bay at the time was too blind to recognize he could be a serviceable guard even though he wasn’t a tackle.
Cheesey
We COULD have had Barry Sanders!!!!
Waaaaaaaah!!!!!![what]
Instead we got a bust.....and the kind of bust you WANT to see.😂
Zero2Cool
I still don't see how Packers get blamed. The world was certain he'd be a All-Pro safe pick for a decade. It just goes to show Mandrich fooled everyone. I'm a huge Barry Sanders fan and sure it'd have been nice to watch him 16 times a year, but ... I am glad he went to the Lions and not Packers. Barry would have extended Lindy Infante career and we would most likely not have landed Ron Wolf, Mike Holgrem and Brett Favre. Then again, maybe a better trio would have been had? Maybe Barry extends Infante's career through 1995 and we hire Bill Belichick in 1996? 😉
Mucky Tundra
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I still don't see how Packers get blamed. The world was certain he'd be a All-Pro safe pick for a decade. It just goes to show Mandrich fooled everyone.

Coulda swore I read a quote once from Jimmy Johnson saying that if GB was #1 and drafted Aikman and Dallas had #2 they would have jumped all over Mandarich
buckeyepackfan
Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

We COULD have had Barry Sanders!!!!
Waaaaaaaah!!!!!![what]
Instead we got a bust.....and the kind of bust you WANT to see.😂

1.Aikman
2. Mandarich
3. Barry Sanders
4. Derrick Thomas
5. Deon Sanders

Which one of those guys IS NOT in the HOF?
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Zero2Cool
Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

1.Aikman
2. Mandarich
3. Barry Sanders
4. Derrick Thomas
5. Dion Sanders

Which one of those guys IS NOT in the HOF?
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Actually, two.

#2 and #5 are not int he Hall of Fame. 😝
Rockmolder
Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

Coulda swore I read a quote once from Jimmy Johnson saying that if GB was #1 and drafted Aikman and Dallas had #2 they would have jumped all over Mandarich

I read some stuff that it wasn't a question for any team in the league... He was just the best O-line prospect anyone had ever seen work out, in addition to having 1st round tape (albeit mid-first round).

Not like JaMarcus Russell, where there were red flags before the draft, but just unanimous praise.

I don't think this'd happen today. I mean, looking back at it, it's rather obvious that work-out was steroid-aided. He'd be kicked off his college team before even making it to the Combine.
nerdmann
He also drank stagnant pond water while hunting in the UP. Got amoebas.

Alcoholism was a big issue too, iirc.
PackerTraxx
I remember reading an article in the MJS that every team in the League, except one, would have drafted him number 2 behind Aikman. The one team that wouldn't have taken him at 2 would have taken him number 1. That team was Minnesota, wish that had worked out for them!!!
Cheesey
A pick and money wasted.
But it’s ancient history now.
Maybe had we picked a better player, we wouldn’t have got Favre a couple years later, and no SB 31 title.
nerdmann
Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

A pick and money wasted.
But it’s ancient history now.
Maybe had we picked a better player, we wouldn’t have got Favre a couple years later, and no SB 31 title.

I'd take the Mandarich pick over Bruce Clark.

Clark, Mandarich, Brent Fullwood, Rich Campbell?

Who was that LT Wolf took that turned into a complete bomb?
wpr
Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Are you talking about Sherrod who shattered his leg?
Mucky Tundra
Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

John Michels?
Pack93z
From my collegiate fan hood... Mandarich was a beast in college.

He was dominate. Destroyed people. But he was also technically flawed.

But you didn't see that at first in the tape... you seen a guy mauling people. In the running game he destroyed people.

I get why we coveted him... but we also we blinded by that lust. So were the remainder of the teams in the league.

Mandarich today, with all the platforms out there to get and analyze footage.. I think he would have been exposed for his lack of fundamentals.

Also, someone else nailed another issue with it all.. we couldn't accept that he might not be a tackle in the NFL. In ways, we still were stubborn under Campen.
KRK
Your stubborn assessment is correct, but Campen started his tenure in 2004 and Mandarich was drafted in 1989.
Zero2Cool
Originally Posted by: KRK 

was Campen the line coach then?

No, he was a player, but we still love to blame James Campen regardless. I do it all the time. But, I know really nothing about OL other than how to tell by their stance if its run block or pass block.
KRK
Z2C said:
Quote:

But, I know really nothing about OL other than how to tell by their stance if its run block or pass block.

This part of the issue with the coaching. Unless its an obvious passing situation or short yardage, we shouldn’t be able to tell.
Pack93z
Originally Posted by: KRK 

Your stubborn assessment is correct, but Campen started his tenure in 2004 and Mandarich was drafted in 1989.

No.. he was the Center. ;)

One Charlie Davis was the Oline Coach.. came from Cleveland. I think he broke his teeth as a Oline coach here.

My reference to Campen was he could be stubborn as well with players.. but no direct correlation to TM. Should have framed that a bit better, Campen was the last OL coach here... and had the same stubborn trait.
buckeyepackfan
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Actually, two.

#2 and #5 are not int he Hall of Fame. 😝

Prime Time was inducted into The Pro Football HOF in 2011!
🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
Zero2Cool
Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Prime Time was inducted into The Pro Football HOF in 2011!
🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

Check ya spellin' mate!