Discussion Board
greengold
If spotrac is correct, Packers paid him $72,000 guaranteed as an UDFA? $7,000 signing bonus plus $65,000 guaranteed salary. That would certainly make him a priority UDFA if true.

What do you guys think? I know his dad was an Outland Trophy winner. Hadn't heard about this, just stumbled upon at Spotrac.

https://www.spotrac.com/...kers/greg-roberts-29376/ 
Nonstopdrivel
I wouldn't read too much into it. The terms of his deal amount to little more than shifting cash from one envelope to other. The Packers seem to have sweetened the pot just a little to ensure he signed with them, but that doesn't necessarily indicate he's a high priority. After all, the minimum contract a rookie UDFA can sign totals $1.755 million over three years , and he's signed for $1.762 million. That $7,000 spread over three years barely amounts to a rounding error. There's no reason to think that the terms of his contract will confer a special advantage over any other rookie when it comes to making the final roster.

Hat tip to greengold for the corrections to my math.
Nonstopdrivel
It looks like Roberts misbehaved his way  out of being drafted. He was suspended twice in college and ejected from a game  last November for throwing a punch. Given that at one time he had been considered at least a sixth-round talent, that punch alone probably cost him millions. Hopefully, falling out of the draft was a wake-up call for the young man, and he'll work his ass off for the Packers to earn a second shot at success.

Nonstopdrivel
Incidentally, it's pretty funny to compare the incident from the two different camera angles. In the first video, you could be forgiven for getting the impression that the ref had thrown himself into the fray in retaliation for the punch, while in the second video, it's obvious that the Iowa State linemen interposes himself instantly and all but pushes the official out of harm's way.
Nonstopdrivel
My verdict: practice squad.
greengold
Greg Roberts Sr. was no angel either if I remember correctly. 😁

The total contract is actually only $7000 over the minimum (amount of the signing bonus.) Total contract is meaningless, I was just looking at $72,000 guaranteed. Seems like a lot to throw away on someone with almost zero chance of making the team. Or is that just my inner Ted Thompson coming out? 🤣

Nonstopdrivel
You're right; I miscalculated the value of a minimum UDFA contract.

Roberts' salary for all three years is exactly the NFL minimum, so the $7,000 signing bonus is the only extra cash he's getting. His cap hit for each year is $2333.33 above the NFL minimum for that season, which is simply the prorated value of his signing bonus. And that's not even getting into the fact that the 2021 figure is bogus anyway, since the CBA expires after the 2020 season.

This may be a total coincidence, but I find it intriguing that the Packers are guaranteeing him the value of exactly nine weeks of 2019 rookie practice-squad salary. I'm not sure what, if anything, to make of that.
wpr
Looks like a PS guy. My concern is that he's 23. The better players come out early thus they're 20-22 yo. The guys who won't be high draft picks stay and wait.
Quote:

NFL Media analyst Lance Zierlein believes that Baylor DE Greg Roberts is a prime candidate for a practice squad.
Roberts (6'5/254) was never a consistent part of the Baylor defense -- at least statistically, but there were some flashes that suggested he was an NFL-caliber player. "Good-looking defensive end with natural play strength who moves like a big, stand-up OLB in space," Zierlein writes. He does have some concerns about Roberts, like his inconsistent space play and rush plan. Still because of his height and athleticism, he has a chance to be a Day 3 pick and is a "prime candidate" for the practice squad, according to Zierlein

SOURCE: NFL.com 

Users browsing this topic
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Vikings make Gary Kubiak offensive coordinator
Zero2Cool (4h) : I wouldn't mind Robbie Anderson
gbguy20 (13h) : i want mike lafleur
gbguy20 (14h) : yeah that seemed promising as well. i know much less about him.
beast (18h) : I'm thinking we sign the Jets WR that we looked into trade for
gbguy20 (18h) : peter bukowski says we should trade for Robert Woods. i like that idea.
gbguy20 (20h) : on its face those numbers sound terrible. though i wonder what our situation comes out to
gbguy20 (20h) : will be available in FA. lets get him.
gbguy20 (20h) : the coeboys have 110 mil invested in 9 players next year. none of them are named dak, cooper or jones. add the 30+ expected for dak and it comes to 78% of the expected cap. im assuming cooper will ve
Zero2Cool (23h) : Sad ... Mr. Peanut.
Nonstopdrivel (22-Jan) : I've been joking for years that they should give something like this a try, but I never thought I'd see it happen.
Nonstopdrivel (22-Jan) : Holy shit, NFL is adapting a rule from rugby for the Pro Bowl.
Porforis (21-Jan) : Same, NSD.
Zero2Cool (21-Jan) : FEAR THE MOTHERFUCKING DEER YO!
Nonstopdrivel (21-Jan) : These Bucks are running roughshod through the NBA. I wish basketball inspired me with a tenth of the passion that football does.
Mucky Tundra (21-Jan) : How did Andy Reid celebrate yesterdays win? “I had a cheeseburger and went to bed.”
Zero2Cool (21-Jan) : Spend it on OG or WR, those are the too biggest needs. WR obviously clear 1 need.
KRK (21-Jan) : I rather spend the money on the interior of both lines and ILB
RickLM (20-Jan) : Yes. Hunter Henry is someone I want. How do you feel about Corey Littleton? I think he's worth a look too.
Zero2Cool (20-Jan) : Sign TE HUNTER HENRY
Zero2Cool (20-Jan) : Henry Ruggs III to Packers at 30.
Zero2Cool (20-Jan) : Kris Richard for DC?
beast (20-Jan) : Nope, 72 and we don't have the CBs for his system
Zero2Cool (20-Jan) : Wade Phillips for DC?
Cheesey (20-Jan) : Must have been a Chicago fan
Zero2Cool (20-Jan) : bear?
Zero2Cool (20-Jan) : “I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.” – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Zero2Cool (19-Jan) : Packers Chat Room - initialized.
Zero2Cool (19-Jan) : Unless the Packers make it.
PhoenixPackerFan60 (19-Jan) : Chiefs in SB. It's their year this year.
Zero2Cool (19-Jan) : Shout enter button sucks while viewing forum, no workie.
Zero2Cool (19-Jan) : Shout works great.
buckeyepackfan (19-Jan) : Check
Zero2Cool (19-Jan) : @mattschneidman #Packers punter JK Scott (illness) is expected to play in today’s NFC Championship Game after being added to the injury report as questionable yesterday, per source.
Mucky Tundra (19-Jan) : Can't count them out after last week but I doubt Vrabel will make poor choices like O'Brien did
Mucky Tundra (19-Jan) : Chiefs falling behind early again
Cheesey (19-Jan) : On any given day. If we didn’t belong, we wouldn’t be here.
Zero2Cool (19-Jan) : Matt LaFleur might have lost play calling duties to Arthur Smith if he didn't get GB HC job. Crazy
Zero2Cool (19-Jan) : Play clean game and Packers can win easily
PhoenixPackerFan60 (19-Jan) : I think they have a chance. Not a good one, but a chance.
PhoenixPackerFan60 (19-Jan) : Every single prognosticator on TV says Packers don't belong in this game. Every one is baffled by the 14 wins. Even a couple said this team is an 8-8 caliber team or 9-7, at best but somehow stumb
gbguy20 (19-Jan) : t-minus 7 hours
gbguy20 (19-Jan) : game day.
Zero2Cool (19-Jan) : Let's fucking go!!!
gbguy20 (19-Jan) : fuck yes. ALL IN!
Zero2Cool (19-Jan) : #Packers activate safety Raven Greene from IR
Zero2Cool (18-Jan) : I remember Dotson arriving in the airport with a leather jacket. The guy looked like a difference maker. he was just average, but that was enough
Mucky Tundra (18-Jan) : Now I'm getting nostalgic over the 96 line: Jones, Dotson, Brown and White
Mucky Tundra (18-Jan) : tbf=to be fair
Mucky Tundra (18-Jan) : i remember being bummed about losing Jurko to Jaguars but quickly got over it with Santana Dotson
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2019 Packers Schedule
Thursday, Sep 5 @ 7:20 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
BRONCOS
Thursday, Sep 26 @ 7:20 PM
EAGLES
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Cowboys
Monday, Oct 14 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
RAIDERS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 7:20 PM
Chiefs
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
Chargers
Sunday, Nov 10 @ 3:25 PM
PANTHERS
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 7:20 PM
49ers
Sunday, Dec 1 @ 12:00 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 8 @ 12:00 PM
REDSKINS
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 12:00 PM
BEARS
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Lions
Think About It
Think About It
Recent Topics
31m / Green Bay Packers Talk / PackerTraxx

39m / Green Bay Packers Talk / PackerTraxx

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / KRK

22-Jan / Around The NFL / beast

21-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

21-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

21-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / gbguy20

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2020 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.