Discussion Board
Zero2Cool
Ha! Jokes on Raiders!!
Michael David Smith wrote:

Packers President and CEO Mark Murphy says his team's efforts to trade for Khalil Mack a year ago were thwarted primarily by the Raiders' perception that the Bears would have a higher first-round draft pick. Murphy told 105.7 The Fan that the Packers made a big offer to the Raiders for Mack, but the Raiders [more]

Continue Reading @ Michael David Smith 

Live, Love, and Laugh -- never, NEVER, get mad on the internet.
UserPostedImage
Comments are said as a fan of the Green Bay Packers, nothing more, nothing less. Thank you for reading!
buckeyepackfan
Sometimes yhe best trades are the ones you didn't make!

Packers are better off.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
nerdmann
Bears gave up too much.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Bears gave up too much.

Agreed.

On the flip side is it possible that GB would have had an improved defense and the bares a weaker one if Mack played 4 hours to the north? 5 1/2 game difference is a lot over a 16 game season. But it is easy to pretend GB would have been 3 games "better" and Chicago 3 games "worse". If so, Oakland would have been right. They forgot the improvement factor Mack brought to the teams.

Like John Wayne said in The Undefeated,
Col John Henry Thomas wrote:

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon; windage and elevation.

O God, Thy Sea Is So Great And My Boat Is So Small
gbguy20
I'm glad we didn't make the move to be honest.
DoddPower
I can't imagine Mack wouldn't have swung both teams records at least a little.
beast
Well if Mack had gone to the Packers instead of the Bears, then the Packers probably would of had the better record... as there lost a number of close games where Mack might of been the differences maker...

But as I believe I said during the Mack to Packers talk, that price is just too much, two 1st round picks AND all the money. I mean we could of had

~ OLB Khalil Mack ($23.5 million per year)
~ 2020 2nd round pick (estimated slightly less than $1.7 million per year)
~ 2020 conditional 5th round pick (might not get because they're having success)
for about 25.2 million per year (maybe a bit more with the conditional pick)

OR

~ OLB Za'Darius Smith ($16.5 million per year)
~ OLB Rashan Gary (slightly less than $4 million per year)
~ CB Ka'dar Hollman (slightly less than $675 thousands per year)
~ 2020 1st round pick (estimated slightly less than $4 million per year)
~ 2020 3rd round pick ((estimated slightly less than $967 thousands per year)
for less than $26.2 million per year

Also could switch Za'Darius Smith ($16.5) out and put in OLB Preston Smith ($13 million per year) and it might look even better.

America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
sschind
We will never know if it would have been a good or bad trade for the Packers. All we can do is speculate and make rationalizations as to why it is a good thing we didn't get him. In the next few years if the Packers defense makes a big improvement we can argue that we were better off without him but we can't know how much better, or worse, we may have been with him.

I am perfectly OK with us not getting him. The picks and the money were simply too much but I would not have been crying in my beer if we had made the trade either. It all depends on how the defense develops from here on out and I like the way it is shaping up.
Every team has fans that fans of other teams point to and say "all their fans are assholes" Don't be one of those fans.
Cheesey
Maybe had we got Mack, maybe we wouldn’t have had all the changes we had. We have a new coach and a lot to look forward to.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I can't imagine Mack wouldn't have swung both teams records at least a little.

That season was a throwaway season anyway. Mike got his way, and showed us what he had, which was nothing whatsoever.

Give up 2 #1's to add three wins and still miss the playoffs? Not worth it. Going forward it won't have been worth it either. 👍
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
KRK
This is a really interesting thread with some great perspectives.

I think the most interesting is that if we had been 3-4 games better, we would still be with the old regime. For that reason alone I am glad it didn't happen.

Its like when I was hot on this girl Trixie Laroux....I would have liked to........but she turned down my overtures.... it didn't happen, even though I wanted it to.....and now I have a wonderful wife.

As BPF banged out:
Quote:

Sometimes the best trades are the ones you didn't make!

even if you wanted to make them.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem
KRK
TheKanataThrilla
If Mack is on the Packers chances are Aaron doesn't get hurt. Healthy Aaron and the whole season is probably different.

Then again, the way the season went down helped make the coaching changes we should have made a couple of years ago.
"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
beast
Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

If Mack is on the Packers chances are Aaron doesn't get hurt. Healthy Aaron and the whole season is probably different.

I honestly think Rodgers injury as the cause of the struggled season is being overblown, the guy looked like his normal great self at times early on when he had veteran WRs to work with and that was right after the injury.

Rodgers sucked more, not around the injury time, but when he had to play with the rookie WRs whom he wasn't on the same mental page as and didn't seem to trust half as much, as Rodgers (especially in the Seahawks game) almost refusing to throw it to the RB unless it was a design play to get the running back open (cus the Seahawks didn't even pretend to cover the RBs if they didn't go so far down the field, and left them wide open cus they knew Rodgers wasn't looking there).
Mike McCarthy didn't use designed plays to get guys open, so it was all up to Rodgers and his chemistry and trust with guys, and Rodgers struggled to take any chances with the rookies, instead deciding to hold onto the ball even longer looking for something better.

Which is one thing Rodgers has to get better at, as this new system will have a lot of designed plays to go to specific areas or passing to the RB instead of scanning the entire field looking for the best down field matchups. So Rodgers might actually have to take the ball out of his hands more often and trust others for the greater good of the system.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
warhawk
I agree that the Packers probably win a couple more games with Mack last year. I was not in favor of this move because this team was not one player away from being a contender. There were multiple holes to fill in the starting lineup and lacking depth at several positions.
Mathews and Perry were killing us with what they were being paid, we had no safeties, and the Oline was very thin at both G spots and swing T. These areas have been addressed in FA along with talent in the draft that probably wouldn't be on this team had they won a couple three more games.

Put it this way I don't think Pettine is crying over the fact he has the Smith's and Gary to work with and not Mack. I wonder if Savage would be on this team had they gotten Mack and won a few more games.

I just see this team winning more games this year and years to come the way it's trending with no Mack in the picture. Admittedly, I am not big on mortgaging high draft picks and particularly at this juncture with where the team stood talent wise. It robs a team of depth and potential. I get it with the Bears and Trubisky still on a rookie contract. Thanks but no thanks.

"The train is leaving the station."
Zero2Cool
What games would Mack have tilted in our favor? The Vikings game?
UserPostedImage
Comments are said as a fan of the Green Bay Packers, nothing more, nothing less. Thank you for reading!
sschind
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

What games would Mack have tilted in our favor? The Vikings game?

What games would he have tilted in our favor? Its difficult if not impossible to say. What games could he have tilted in our favor? Who knows, maybe all of them. A sack, a strip sack, a fumble recovery an extra pressure here or there all could make a big difference. Especially if they happen on a drive that resulted in an eventual TD for the opposing team. They may have recovered or they may not have. There is simply no way to know which games may have ended differently if we had Mack. Who knows, we may have even lost more.

Every team has fans that fans of other teams point to and say "all their fans are assholes" Don't be one of those fans.
Zero2Cool
Originally Posted by: sschind 

What games would he have tilted in our favor? Its difficult if not impossible to say. What games could he have tilted in our favor? Who knows, maybe all of them. A sack, a strip sack, a fumble recovery an extra pressure here or there all could make a big difference. Especially if they happen on a drive that resulted in an eventual TD for the opposing team. They may have recovered or they may not have. There is simply no way to know which games may have ended differently if we had Mack. Who knows, we may have even lost more.

I guess I can't really remember a game last season where I thought dang if our defense was just a little better on the pass rush we'd have won. I felt the offense was big issue.
UserPostedImage
wpr

I guess I can't really remember a game last season where I thought dang if our defense was just a little better on the pass rush we'd have won. I felt the offense was big issue.

If for no other reason, Aaron wouldn't have faced such a tenacious pass rush in week 1. He wouldn't have been hindered with an injury and would in all probability been more effective all year.
Zero2Cool
I don't think Mack would have put us over the edge. We couldn't even make the playoffs without him. Now if we got to the 2nd round of the playoffs, I'd be thinking ya on to something.

We were far more than a Mack from being contenders.
UserPostedImage
wpr

I don't think Mack would have put us over the edge. We couldn't even make the playoffs without him. Now if we got to the 2nd round of the playoffs, I'd be thinking ya on to something.

We were far more than a Mack from being contenders.

Absolutely. My only contention is that GB MIGHT have had a better record than the bares. But it is all conjecture. You know, the stuff that makes up 90% of the internet discussion boards. My original comment was more than likely GB would not be 6 games better but they might have been 3 games better (9-6-1) and da bares 3 games worse (9-7). It wouldn't have all been because of Mack. A healthier Rodgers would have been a factor as well.

Would I have wanted Gute to make the deal Chicago did and give away so much? No. But that is another issue for another thread. And this site does have space for a few more threads.