Discussion Board
KRK
Quote:

According to ESPN's Rob Demovsky, the 2018 third-round pick suffered a torn pectoral muscle in Thursday night's preseason win over the Houston Texans.

Packers LB Oren Burks is believed to have a torn pectoral muscle, according to a source. More tests are scheduled to determine the course of action, but given that Burks was penciled in as a starter in the base defense, it leaves a hole in the D.

— Rob Demovsky (@RobDemovsky) August 10, 2019

Well that sucks....but better now than in game 1
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem
KRK
earthquake
Well, at least Ty Summers looked pretty good.
blank
gbguy20
So much for"not expected to be serious"
go.pack.go.
At least we addressed the situation high in the draft. Oh wait.
Signature made by me
UserPostedImage
SUPERBOWL XLV CHAMPS!!!!
earthquake
I'm guessing this means even more big nickel, with Josh Jones, Raven Greene and/or Ibraheim Campbell filling the hybrid safety/linebacker role. I wouldn't be surprised if this is essentially Pettine's base defense.
blank
Zero2Cool
Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

So much for"not expected to be serious"

And yet fans like you bitch when the staff doesn't answer what an injury is right away.
Live, Love, and Laugh -- never, NEVER, get mad on the internet.
UserPostedImage
Comments are said as a fan of the Green Bay Packers, nothing more, nothing less. Thank you for reading!
go.pack.go.
Literally had this same issue last year when Jake Ryan went down. And nothing was done to address the lack of depth. I figured it would be an issue yet again.
Signature made by me
UserPostedImage
SUPERBOWL XLV CHAMPS!!!!
Zero2Cool
Originally Posted by: go.pack.go. 

Because teams draft for the current year and know what injuries they'll sustain? Right.

You draft for the future and take best players. Why? Because you can't predict the future. Not rocket science.
UserPostedImage
Comments are said as a fan of the Green Bay Packers, nothing more, nothing less. Thank you for reading!
go.pack.go.
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Because teams draft for the current year and know what injuries they'll sustain? Right.

You draft for the future and take best players. Why? Because you can't predict the future. Not rocket science.

It was pretty well known that MLB was a need for us.
Signature made by me
UserPostedImage
SUPERBOWL XLV CHAMPS!!!!
gbguy20
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

And yet fans like you bitch when the staff doesn't answer what an injury is right away.

I mostly bitch when it takes 4 weeks to properly diagnose the injury. Anyway, Kevin football season is here now, I think it's time to relax your anger a bit.
Cheesey
It sucks.....but injuries happen.
UserPostedImage
earthquake

I mean, other than OL, Safety, Edge, and TE, I suppose ILB was a need. But how many needs can you really address in one offseason? Certainly there are limited early round picks, and I would say it is hard to argue that ILB was bigger a need than OL, Safety, or TE. Edge maybe, but Edge is more of a premium position in any case.
blank
Zero2Cool

And to you its a need and thus the team should reach? Brilliant lol

Draft the best players. If there's a similar grade you go for what you need. Try to remember they know the roster talent better than us. 😜
UserPostedImage
nerdmann

Gary can play inside. Frankly I'm looking at Josh Jones. Lot more speed on this D. We can cover TEs.

I love Burks, but he's not effective against the run.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
go.pack.go.
Originally Posted by: earthquake 

I mean, other than OL, Safety, Edge, and TE, I suppose ILB was a need. But how many needs can you really address in one offseason? Certainly there are limited early round picks, and I would say it is hard to argue that ILB was bigger a need than OL, Safety, or TE. Edge maybe, but Edge is more of a premium position in any case.

It was certainly a higher need than TE. We have Graham, Lewis, and Tonyan (who has shown us that he can play). I’m glad we picked up Sternberger but I do believe ILB was a much bigger need.

Signature made by me
UserPostedImage
SUPERBOWL XLV CHAMPS!!!!
beast
When you consider teams are playing more and more dime coverage then that 2nd ILBer position doesn't become such a need to me, because they can basically be replaced by a physical old school SS.

And that's basically what Burks and Curtis Bolton (the guy now getting 1st team snaps in Burks place) are basically old school SS that are being forced to move to ILB in the new school NFL.

And physically speaking, Josh Jones might be the perfect option! But... mentally, he might be the worst option, because (and I didn't know this until well after the draft), he doesn't want to be at LB and he plays like he just wants to see and react/attack... while he's extremely physically gifted, he's sometimes playing checkers while others on the field are playing chess... and that lack of mental football game will always hold his physical talents back, especially if that goes as far as the film room (right now, I assume it's only on the field).

But my point being, I considered another Safety more of a need than an ILB, because a good physical Safety is almost the same as the coverage ILB role in today's game.

And I didn't think ILB is that big of a need, unless you're trying to upgrade or replace Martinez, cus the 2nd ILB is basically a Safety.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
nerdmann
Word is, it won't require surgery. Heard he is day to day right now.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
gbguy20
Cool. I don't get it though.
buckeyepackfan
Sounds like everyone should prepare for Burks to be out for awhile.

Because the Packers do not yet have a timetable for Burks’ return, the linebacker could still end up on injured reserve. The team can place him on IR once final cuts conclude on Aug. 31, allowing Burks the opportunity to return to the roster once a minimum of eight weeks have passed.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
nerdmann
The rookies look good, but just like Martinez and Burks, they will need a year to get up to speed.