Zero2Cool
4 years ago
Sad news.

The Green Bay Packers say Zeke Bratkowski, the quarterback who backed up Bart Starr during the team's 1960s dynasty, has died at his Florida home. He was 88.

Continue Reading @ ESPN 

ESPN wrote:

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago
Zeke certainly had a long and productive life but it's still very sad.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
4 years ago
I met him at an autograph signing back in June, 2009, 4 months after my open heart surgery.
There were only a few people there, and Zeke didn’t seem too excited to be there. I started telling him how much I appreciated how he backed up Bart Starr, and how I knew that when he came into a game that the team wouldn’t miss a beat under his leadership.
With that, he kind of lit up, and we started really talking. I told him about my heart surgery and how just a couple weeks after it that I went to the Packer Fan Fest. He then told me about his open heart surgery, and we ended talking like old friends.
It was a really fun experience.
Us old guys are losing our childhood heroes.
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
New York Times had a very nice Obit:
Zeke Bratkowski, Packer Quarterback but Not a Starr, Dies at 88

He had all the tools to lead a team and often excelled on the field, but he was fated to serve as the understudy to the future Hall of Famer Bart Starr.

By Richard Goldstein Nov. 12, 2019

Zeke Bratkowski was an outstanding passer with a keen football mind; he played at quarterback for 14 seasons in the N.F.L.; and he later engineered passing attacks as an offensive coach for six pro teams, including the Jets.

He spent seven seasons with the Green Bay Packers, mostly under Coach Vince Lombardi in the 1960s, when Lombardi transformed a long-moribund franchise into pro football’s dominant team.

But for all his talents, Bratkowski faced a formidable obstacle: He was the backup to the Packers’ future Hall of Famer Bart Starr, stepping in when Starr was injured or being rested, on teams that won three consecutive National Football League championships.

Bratkowski died on Monday at 88 at his home in Santa Rosa Beach, in Florida’s Panhandle. His wife, Mary Elizabeth Bratkowski, said the cause was a heart attack.

His death came six months after Starr died at 85.

Bratkowski had made the most of his opportunities.

His signature moment came when the Packers faced the Baltimore Colts in a playoff for the 1965 Western Conference title. Starr incurred chest and rib injuries on the Packers’ first offensive play while trying to stop a Colts defensive player from returning a fumbled reception for a touchdown. Bratkowski came in, completed 22 passes for 248 yards and steered Green Bay to a 13-10 overtime victory. The Packers went on to defeat the Cleveland Browns in the N.F.L. championship game.

Earlier that season, Bratkowski twice entered games in the third quarter with the score tied. He led the Packers to victories both times.

He replaced Starr several times during the 1966 season, and in the last game, when he was the starting quarterback for the first time that season, he took the Packers to a 27-23 triumph over the Los Angeles Rams. Green Bay went on to defeat the Dallas Cowboys for the N.F.L. championship.

In 1967, Bratkowski led the Packers to a victory over the Atlanta Falcons after Starr sustained a bruised shoulder, and he started two games that season. He played briefly in Super Bowl I, when the Packers defeated the Kansas City Chiefs, and in Super Bowl II, when they beat the Oakland Raiders.

Bratkowski with the quarterback Tim Tebow in 2010 during a Pro Day for N.F.L. scouts at the University of Florida, where Tebow had won the Heisman Trophy. Bratkowski was an offensive coach for several N.F.L. teams in his later years.Credit...Phil Sandlin/Associated Press

Edmund Raymond Bratkowski was born on Oct. 20, 1931, in Westville, Ill., to Kasmer and Elizabeth (Kraninock) Bratkowski, and grew up in nearby Danville, not far from the Indiana border. His father worked in a zinc factory, and his mother pressed clothing for a jacket company.

His father, who played semipro baseball, recruited his son to he his team’s batboy and bought him a baseball uniform bearing the name and image of Zeke Bonura, a slugging first baseman for the Chicago White Sox, resulting in his son’s nickname. (Baseball’s Zeke, actually named Henry John Bonura, evidently got his nickname in high school, when he was known as “Physique” for his impressive build.)

Bratkowski starred in the offensive backfield on Schlarman High School’s football team in Danville before gaining a football scholarship to the University of Georgia, where he was transformed into a quarterback by the Bulldogs’ coach, Wally Butts.

“Coach Butts worked with me before practice, during practice and after practice,” Bratkowski told the magazine Georgia Trend in 2008. “He had me throwing the football when it was dark. He stayed on my back every day, telling me how to grip the ball, pinpoint receivers, dodge oncoming defensive linemen.”

Playing at Georgia from 1951 to 1953, Bratkowski threw for 24 touchdowns and 4,863 yards and was also an excellent punter.

The Chicago Bears selected him in the second round of the 1953 N.F.L. draft as a “future” pick. When they signed him to a three-year contract in September 1954, George Halas, the Bears’ owner and coach, called him “the best quarterback in college ball in years.”

After his rookie season, Bratkowski served in the Air Force and then played with the Bears from 1957 to 1960. He was traded to the Rams in 1961 before being obtained by the Packers in October 1963.
Marc Stein's Newsletter

Marc Stein has covered Jordan. He's covered Kobe. And LeBron vs. the Warriors. Go behind the N.B.A.'s curtain with basketball's foremost expert.

Bratkowski played for Green Bay through the 1968 season, became an assistant coach with the team, then returned as Starr’s backup in 1971. He was later an assistant under Starr when he became the Packers’ head coach in 1975. In addition to the Packers and Jets, he was an assistant with the Bears, the Baltimore and Indianapolis Colts, the Browns and the Philadelphia Eagles

In his pro career he threw for 65 touchdowns and 10,345 yards and ran for five touchdowns.

In addition to his wife, who was born Mary Elizabeth Harman, he is survived by a son, Bob, who had been a longtime offensive coordinator in the N.F.L., mostly with the Seattle Seahawks and the Cincinnati Bengals; a daughter, Kathryn Bratkowski; a sister, Patricia Stitt; three grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren. Another son, Stephen, died before him.

Bratkowski was among several Packers from the Lombardi era, including Starr, to die in just over a year. The others included the lineman Forrest Gregg and the fullback Jim Taylor, who are both, like Starr, in the Hall of Fame.

Starr and Bratkowski studied game films together, conferred on the sidelines and became friends.

“Bart and I could play off each other,” Bratkowski told George Bozeka, the editor of “The 1966 Green Bay Packers” (2016). “It was like one single mind.”
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (15h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (16h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (16h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (19h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (22h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (22h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (22h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (22h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (22h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (22h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (22h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (22h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (22h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (23h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (23h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.