obi1
15 years ago

Damn....nonstop, and brnt........and many others in this thread......you guys put alot of thought into your posts. What you guys have written would shame any of the "Oh yeah? If FAVRE was here, you'd see!!!" posts that have become way too familiar here.
Pointing out how we averaged 9 wins a season, one SB win in 16 years, the comparisons to what the Patriots have done.........pointing out how the defenses were huge.......I wish that some of the people that came here would open up their minds and actually THINK about these facts, instead of just ignoring them.
But that would destroy their arguments......so i doubt that will ever happen.

"Cheesey" wrote:

Gee Cheesey, I agree with you. may be from the other side.
blank
Cheesey
15 years ago

Damn....nonstop, and brnt........and many others in this thread......you guys put alot of thought into your posts. What you guys have written would shame any of the "Oh yeah? If FAVRE was here, you'd see!!!" posts that have become way too familiar here.
Pointing out how we averaged 9 wins a season, one SB win in 16 years, the comparisons to what the Patriots have done.........pointing out how the defenses were huge.......I wish that some of the people that came here would open up their minds and actually THINK about these facts, instead of just ignoring them.

"obi1" wrote:

"Cheesey" wrote:

OB1......some people think that i hate Favre because of what all happened. Thats just not true. He's a great player, and i loved having him here. To me at least, it seemed his attitude changed in his later years. He seemed to me at least, to have changed in his humble self, to more of a "prima donna". I can understand that happening. After all, he kept getting everyone constantly telling him how great he was. That HAS to affect a person. I still like the guy, but he's not here, not one of "us" (Packers) anymore, and i think it over inflated his ego. Just my opinion of course.
I still wish him well, and hope some day he comes back here and mends fences.
I can't help but wonder that if the Jets stumble and don't make the playoffs if all the "hero worship" he's been getting will fall around him. After all, I doubt that the New York fans will cut him as much slack as he got when he played here.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

We never have had the over offensive or defensive talent that the Pats or Colts have.

"brnt247" wrote:

This may be true of the Colts to some extent, but it's not true of the Patriots. The only major marquee offensive player the Patriots have had over that span was Randy Moss, and he didn't appear on the scene until last season, when they went undefeated. By and large, the Patriots have gotten it done with a bunch of unheralded players, and as players have left, they've continued to plug holes with more unheralded players. It's most impressive and a model more teams would do well to examine. I think it's the model Ted Thompson is emulating, but he has yet to have the same degree of sustained success the Patriots have enjoyed.

Even for the Patriots, it's been an up-and-down ride:

Season     Record    Div Rank    Postseason Result
1998         9-7        4th     Lost wildcard round
1999         8-8      T-4th
2000         5-11       5th
2001        11-5      T-1st     Won Superbowl XXXVI
2002         9-7      T-1st
2003        14-2        1st     Won Superbowl XXXVIII
2004        14-2        1st     Won Superbowl XXXVIX
2005        10-6        1st     Lost divisional round
2006        12-4        1st     Lost AFC championship
2007        16-0        1st     Lost Superbowl XLII

I find it amazing that in 1998, the Patriots were fourth in their division and still made the playoffs, while in 2002, they were tied for first in the division and missed the playoffs entirely!

Interestingly, the Patriots are currently on pace to set the NFL record for fewest penalties assessed in one season .
UserPostedImage
brnt247
15 years ago
I was talking about the Patriots defensive talent and the Colts offensive talent. Even with that said, the majority of the Patriots success can be found in their coaching and schemes. The defense is what won them their championships. Harrison, McGinest, Seymour, Bruschi, Colvin, Law, Milloy, Vrabel, and Samuel were the players that I was referring to.
blank
JackoPack
15 years ago
I don't know.I'm new here. But why do i feel that if Brett Favre were still here he would be recieving all the blame and people would want to run him out of Greenbay?
Why do I also feel that people are more willing to make excuses for Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy and Rogers rather then Bret Favre. Ted Thompson has been here 4 years already and people are saying give him time. give him time. how much time does he need? If it were Sherman or anyone else they'd be calling for his head by now.
i don't understnad this.
blank
JackoPack
15 years ago
This reminds me of the 1970s mentality. Just wait til next year. Why is everyone accepting medeocrity?
Why is Ted Thompson so special and getting special treatment?
Doesn't seem right to me. Yes, we are this bad and Ted Thompson was suposed to be a defensive guru and look at our offensive line after four years. Its not very good. Why have faith in this guy?
blank
4PackGirl
15 years ago
allow me to be the first to say...WELCOME TO THE SITE, jack! glad to have you here with us.

back to the topic - i personally give a free pass to NO one. but i'm also not willing to throw everything away on one season. changes are needed & i'm sure will be addressed. instant gratification will NOT get you a dynasty type team. patience, growth, & slowly building up players in key positions will get you the dynasty team, imho.
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
Believe it or not, we're not entitled to success every single year. It's not realistic, and it doesn't happen for ANY team. This isn't the NFL of the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s, when dynasties ruled decades. Teams that are bad one year can be great the next, while teams that win Superbowls rarely make the playoffs the following year anymore. Bill Cowher ran the Steelers for something like 15 years and won one Superbowl. Jeff Fisher has coached the Titans for almost as long and is having the best season of his tenure there.

There are 32 teams in this league. Every team can't win the Superbowl every year. It boggles my mind that people are calling for Ted Thompson's head, simply because we haven't won it all in his first four years (even though we DID get one errant throw away from the big dance last season!). Impatience is the order of the day. Yet this itchy trigger-finger syndrome will lead to a revolving door that will do nothing but guarantee us that which the fans are decrying so loudly: mediocrity.

Give the man some time!
UserPostedImage
obi1
15 years ago

"Cheesey" wrote:

"obi1" wrote:

OB1......some people think that i hate Favre because of what all happened. Thats just not true. He's a great player, and i loved having him here. To me at least, it seemed his attitude changed in his later years. He seemed to me at least, to have changed in his humble self, to more of a "prima donna". I can understand that happening. After all, he kept getting everyone constantly telling him how great he was. That HAS to affect a person. I still like the guy, but he's not here, not one of "us" (Packers) anymore, and i think it over inflated his ego. Just my opinion of course.
I still wish him well, and hope some day he comes back here and mends fences.
I can't help but wonder that if the Jets stumble and don't make the playoffs if all the "hero worship" he's been getting will fall around him. After all, I doubt that the New York fans will cut him as much slack as he got when he played here.

"Cheesey" wrote:

I am also like you. I think the WORLD of Brett Favre but I like the Packers a lot more.

I always thought Favre stuck around for the records and concocted the whole trade thing...

However, Favre's affect on the 2007 Packers team was a positive one and in my heart, I believe that... Can I substantiate it? Only by my previous experiences in a different sport.

HERO worship might have something to do with the team rallying around him in 2007. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Do you think that Favre roots for the Packers?
blank
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
I doubt it.
UserPostedImage