Cheesey
15 years ago

I doubt it.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I agree. I think he WANTS the Packers to tank.
If not, he wouldn't have made such a push to try to go to the Bears or Vikings.
He's probably laughing.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
The worse the Packers do this season, the more of a hero -- and martyr -- he seems to be.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
15 years ago

Believe it or not, we're not entitled to success every single year. It's not realistic, and it doesn't happen for ANY team. This isn't the NFL of the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s, when dynasties ruled decades. Teams that are bad one year can be great the next, while teams that win Superbowls rarely make the playoffs the following year anymore. Bill Cowher ran the Steelers for something like 15 years and won one Superbowl. Jeff Fisher has coached the Titans for almost as long and is having the best season of his tenure there.

There are 32 teams in this league. Every team can't win the Superbowl every year. It boggles my mind that people are calling for Ted Thompson's head, simply because we haven't won it all in his first four years (even though we DID get one errant throw away from the big dance last season!). Impatience is the order of the day. Yet this itchy trigger-finger syndrome will lead to a revolving door that will do nothing but guarantee us that which the fans are decrying so loudly: mediocrity.

Give the man some time!

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

ANOTHER great post!
UserPostedImage
dhazer
15 years ago
I'm watching espn classic right now and they have the 5 reasons you can't blame Jerry Krause for the demise of the Bulls and damn did it seem eerily similar to the Packers. The team is winning granted we were only winning division titles like the bulls won championships but the main reason was because Kraus wanted the credit for making a winning team he didn't like it that MJ was getting the credit, just like i believe Ted Thompson wants the credit and not let Brett keep getting it. Thus the reason Ted Thompson wanted Brett gone (IMO). Like they said it was all about ego with Krause and i see the same thing with TT. This is just my honest opinion but i thought it was wild how close these 2 seem to be, Both teams with a bigger then life player and both with a GM with an ego. I just hope we don't end up like the Bulls and have been poor at best.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
macbob
15 years ago

All I know is that in the 10 seasons after the Packers last made it to the Superbowl, their regular-season record was 97-63-0 (.606), for an average of 9.7 wins against 6.3 losses per year. In that span, the Packers have made it to the NFC Championship game twice, losing both times.

By comparison, the Colts went 105-55-0 (.656) over the same span (despite Peyton Manning's disastrous 3-13 rookie campaign), an average of 10.5 wins against 5.5 losses per year. In that span, the Colts have made the AFC Championship twice and won the Superbowl once.

For further comparison, the Patriots are 108-52-0 (.675) in that span -- and an incredible 86-26-0 (.767) with Tom Brady at the helm -- having appeared in the Superbowl 4 times, winning 3 of them!

The Packers' record the past ten years may have been a model of consistency, but it was hardly scintillating.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Good lord.

You must not have been a Packer fan through the 70s and 80s. If you had, you couldn't possibly have made the comments you made (either that, or you have alzheimers and can't remember those years).

Averaging--not just one year, but AVERAGING just short of 10-6 over the last 10 years IS scintillating. The average NFL fan/team doesn't come anywhere near that kind of record. That's the record of one of the elite teams in the NFL during that period.

You've been spoiled by the team Ron Wolf and co set up and the fabulous run we've had over the last 16 years brought to you courtesy of Brett, Reggie, Ahman Green, Leroy Butler, Donald Driver, Mike Holmgren, Mike Sherman (ok, I thought he was running the team into the ground as a GM, but he was a pretty good coach--not perfect, but pretty good).

Good lord--model of consistency...
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
You're right. I wasn't a fan in the 70s and 80s. I was born in 1981 and raised without TV. My first Packers game was the loss to San Francisco in the NFC championship. The next season I started listening to the games on the radio, huddled in my room with the volume low so my parents wouldn't hear. Until I left home, that was how I experienced the Packers.

But that's beside the point. My point was that Favre idolization aside, there are teams who have better regular season records and better postseason success in the past decade than the Packers.
UserPostedImage
CDNRodgersfan
15 years ago
The great thing about this leageu of parity is you can go down in a hurry but come back just as quick. In the years before FA you'd have a good run but once you had a bad year it usually meant hard times for the next 5 years. These days you may fall from glory hard and fast but you can return the next year right back to the top. Just look at the NFC south where the last 4 years the last place team has returned to be first. I guess all I'm saying is it wouldn't surprise me if we were right back to 13-3 next year
dhazer
15 years ago

The great thing about this leageu of parity is you can go down in a hurry but come back just as quick. In the years before FA you'd have a good run but once you had a bad year it usually meant hard times for the next 5 years. These days you may fall from glory hard and fast but you can return the next year right back to the top. Just look at the NFC south where the last 4 years the last place team has returned to be first. I guess all I'm saying is it wouldn't surprise me if we were right back to 13-3 next year

"Cdnfavre+Rodgersfan" wrote:

Ya parity tell that to the Lions lol.

i don't see 13-3 next year here is our opponents

HOME

1. Chicago Bears
2. Detroit Lions
3. Minnesota Vikings
4. San Francisco 49ers
5. Seattle Seahawks
6. Baltimore Ravens
7. Cincinnati Bengals
8. Same place finisher from NFC East
Dallas Cowboys
New York Giants
Philadelphia Eagles
Washington Redskins

AWAY

1. Chicago Bears
2. Detroit Lions
3. Minnesota Vikings
4. Arizona Cardinals
5. St. Louis Rams
6. Cleveland Browns
7. Pittsburgh Steelers
8. Same place finisher from NFC South
Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

I'd make an early prediction of 8-8 and Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson gone.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
15 years ago

I'd make an early prediction of 8-8 and Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson gone.

"dhazer" wrote:

That pick is as premature as...
[youtube]4pXfHLUlZf4[/youtube]
Born and bred a cheesehead
CDNRodgersfan
15 years ago
My point wasn't that I'm predicting we'll go 13-3 but my point was there's been a lot bigger surprises every year about a team being down and coming back with a big year. Oh and the Lions are the exception to evry rule. LOL