Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

It's all about having a QB who throws for nearly as many INT's as TD's but has that enigmatic "leadership" quality that inspires his team to play out of their asses and make freak defensive plays for the win.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

I couldn't agree more. It's always convenient to ignore the cold facts and retreat into the realm of "intangibles."
UserPostedImage
Packnic
15 years ago

I do think it's possible that Favre's leadership has been missed this season. The thing is, that leadership may have been missed even if Favre had come back. I thought he relinquished leadership of the Packers when he announced his retirement and did not change his mind until late June.

"Greg C." wrote:

brilliant. Favre signed over his leadership when he retired. Leaders don't quit.

I can't wait to put this season behind us. good things are in store.
blank
yooperfan
15 years ago
The Green Bay Packers have a definite leadership vacuum and it starts at the top.
Ted Thompson is a poor communicator which is a very bad quality for a leader.
Mike McCarthy is big on excuses and "we will fix it" statements, but things don't get fixed and in fact have gotten worse over the course of this season.
The missing element in Green Bay is a LEADER.
It turns my stomach that McCarty looks like a whipped dog on the sidelines and that Thompson has gone imcommonicado in the 2nd worat season in 16 years.
It's sad that the 2 worst saesons in those 16 yaers ahve happened under Thompsons watch..
15 years ago
Hahaha... As well as tied for the best regular season in team history.

GM isn't a leadership role, in the sense you're using the term. This is why we wanted to separate the GM and HC, so that one could coach and lead and the other could take care of business without getting the two confused.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago

It turns my stomach that McCarty looks like a whipped dog on the sidelines and that Thompson has gone imcommonicado in the 2nd worst season in 16 years.

"yooperfan" wrote:

Part of that is probably a good thing, Ted got himself and the Packers in more trouble last year by speaking publicly than he prevented.

There is no doubt in my mind that there were severe communication voids with the Packers prior to this season.. somethings make that very clear (trying to void fanning the debate flames).

So honestly, I don't think him speaking is a blessing at this point, now that doesn't mean he should completely disappear like he has.

I truly hope he has a end of the season message that reverts the sounds that a season such as this will not be tolerated and a something the evokes confidence to this fan base / owners.

Just do it via a "word smithed" and "polished" press statement and then bust your ass to fix the roster holes on this team.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
chibiabo
15 years ago
:magnifyglass: Best to just admit this team has way too many just average NFL players on it. Other then two offensive standouts on the line; rest mediocre.
Some very good receivers, not very talented TEs and barely adequate RBs no one is a real stand-out smash mouth player.
Defensively only one above average lineman, some slightly above average LBs, but no real standout. Two very good corners who are a bit long in the tooth and safeties that are perhaps a bit more then average.
Time to look to next season and come down hard on the coaching and GM. They have to get players in so many spots I doubt they can fill all the vacancies, certainly not in the draft which has been a week spot since Ted Thompson took over. This draft GB should have some decent opportunities to shore up at least one or two spots, if Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy and the coaches really do their homework. Looking for substantial improvement in '09. If not, both Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy should be replaced along with most of their coaching assistants.
blank
MattG04
15 years ago

Rodgers has played well, but absence of Favre's quiet leadership has hurt the Packers more than some in the organization admit

[img_r]http://media.jsonline.com/images/199*145/brett1213081.jpg[/img_r]Green Bay - By any measure, the Green Bay Packers' season has been a disappointment, a boiling mixture of unfulfilled potential, missed opportunity and chronic late-game failures.

Something has been missing from a team that 11 months ago was a field goal away from playing in the Super Bowl. The Packers have been in every game but one this season and yet they have lacked the spark or the confidence or whatever it is that they had last year that got them over the hump in so many close games.

It's easy to pass their 5-8 record off on injuries or misfortune or youth.

But what if the missing ingredient is Brett Favre? Not the touchdown passes, yards and interceptions he contributed; rather the aura, unspoken leadership and broad shoulders he provided for a team learning to win again.

For 16 years, he was the face of the organization, and when he had the ball in his hands with the game on the line, the atmosphere was electric whether it was home or away. Was he going to pull off a come-from-behind miracle or was he going to throw one of those bone-headed interceptions?

Either way, the focus was on him, and his teammates' job - perceived or otherwise - was to be there when he needed them. It didn't matter if you played on offense or defense, you didn't want to be the guy who let him down.

"He was a leader to us also," cornerback Jarrett Bush said of the defense. "He's Brett Favre. That's saying enough right there. We tried to play at his level. We did that for the most part. I don't know if there's a void (now). We've just got to adapt. He's not here anymore, 'OK, we have to find a way to win.' "

As Favre said in his retirement news conference in March, it was getting harder for him to carry the weight of expectation on his shoulders, so it was only logical to wonder how the burden would be spread when he left. Players like him only come around once a generation, and to think that his successor, Aaron Rodgers, without a single start under his belt, would be able to fill the void was a pipedream.

On the field, Rodgers has about matched Favre's statistical output from last season, showing the potential to be a great quarterback for years to come. But Rodgers hasn't even been close to providing the same presence. The Packers have had an opportunity to win in the final minutes of six games this season, and they have failed to pull it out each time.

By comparison, in Favre's first extended action with the Packers, he led the team to a dramatic come-from-behind victory over the Cincinnati Bengals with a 35-yard pass to Kittrick Taylor with 13 seconds left. The following year, he erased a dismal 24-interception season with one 40-yard, last-minute miracle touchdown throw to Sterling Sharpe against Detroit in the playoffs.

There is no stamp of credibility like success, and Favre had plenty of it right from the start. Rodgers has tried to assume a leadership role, but he doesn't have the body of work Favre did to back up his efforts. He said he has tried to be a leader, but he needs help.

"Our good players need to have the confidence, and maybe it takes somebody saying something, maybe it takes a coach," Rodgers said last week. "I'm not really sure what it is. It's a different dynamic than any other team I've been on. It's been interesting to watch and also be a part of it.

"But guys have to realize they have an opportunity to lead. I don't know what they want from me all the time. I'm trying to be the best leader I can. I'm trying to lead by example, which I think is the most important thing a leader can do. But other guys need to make the most of their leadership opportunities as well."

The biggest mistake general manager Ted Thompson might have made in constructing this team was to underestimate how Favre's presence would be missed around the organization. Thompson's decision to go young again left the team with only a handful of veterans to assume leadership roles.

One of those players, long-snapper Rob Davis, eventually was let go also. In a Journal Sentinel poll last year that asked players to select the team's best leaders, Favre was first and Davis was second. Davis was retained as player programs director, but he's not in uniform on game day and doesn't have a locker.

Instead of adding a few grizzled veterans who might have helped in the transition, Thompson, who did not return a phone message left with him last week, signed no player with more than four years experience. As a result, the Packers were the youngest team in the NFL on opening day for the third straight year. Just before the trading deadline he had one last chance to add a player with tremendous credibility, but he passed on paying a premium price for Kansas City tight end Tony Gonzalez.

The veterans left to carry the weight had acquiesced to Favre in the past and probably were as unsure as the younger players what their leadership role should be this year. How many times this season have you seen a defensive player gather his mates on the sideline and demand accountability? Who, other than Rodgers early last week, has stood up and publicly urged his teammates to look in the mirror and make sure they're being honest with themselves?

It just hasn't happened.

"I think there is a transition period," Rodgers said of Favre leaving. "I think guys need to give more of themselves. They need to realize there's an opportunity to be a leader. Before, there might not have been that opportunity (because of Favre). But it's not about one person; it's about everybody in here picking up the slack."

Leadership is not easily quantifiable. Ask just about any player in the Packers locker room and he'll tell you that Favre rarely spoke to the team. In his latter years, he wasn't even in the locker room that much.

In his late 30s, Favre had little in common with a bunch of first-, second- and third-year players. But on Sundays, that changed, and he drew the attention of every television camera, photographer's lens and pair of eyes in the stadium. It didn't mean he came through all the time, but there was an air of confidence with him in charge.

"I think one thing you have to understand, Brett never spoke," receiver Donald Driver said. "He was never one of those guys who was verbal. He just played. That's how he led. I think that's how some guys think that's their leadership. That was 4. He never said anything to guys. He just went out there and played. Guys, they looked at it and said that's how they're going to perform."

When he took over a dismal 4-12 team at the end of the 1991 season, former Packers general manager Ron Wolf began retooling the roster with a keen eye on locker room chemistry. He and coach Mike Holmgren avoided character risks until they had built a team with players who could police those questionable ones.

Critical to it all was finding players the others could follow.

"You want real leaders to emerge on offense and on defense," Wolf said. "We had that with Favre and (LeRoy) Butler. It really helps when the quarterback is the leader. For us, Favre was a leader. And Butler, besides being a very good player, was really a leader.

"I think it's important that the leader of your team be a leader in the locker room, that they listen to him at the critical time. As Brett got better and better his play spoke for him. I think there's a respect there for what a guy is."

When Reggie White joined the team in 1993, the team gained another veteran leader. Within a year or two, Favre started to exert his leadership more and before long the Packers had a locker room full of veterans capable of pulling rank whenever necessary.

"Reggie was one of those guys who was vocal, but he got it done on the field, too," said former Packers defensive end Vonnie Holliday, who was drafted in 1998 and played one season with White. "It was an incredible opportunity to have that tutelage.

"When he left, there were other leaders still there. I looked at Dorsey Levens as a leader. There were older guys around, guys like Frank Winters. I don't think it was the same situation as Brett leaving and you're left with a young team."

Holliday said his current Miami Dolphins team changed overnight when veteran quarterback Chad Pennington was brought in. He said a young offense that was unsure of itself suddenly had someone with experience, knowledge and a solid work ethic to follow.

"That's something our young offense needed," Holliday said. "It's the reason they're playing so well."

Not every player in the locker room agrees that the absence of Favre has left a leadership void. Some think the close losses come down to performance, not the fact there is a first-year starter at quarterback or a majority of young players on the roster.

They point to Mark Tauscher, Charles Woodson, Aaron Kampman and Driver as leaders they turn to. None is considered a vocal leader but speaks with his performance and dedication.

"To say one guy could change what's going on, I don't think you can say that," receiver Ruvell Martin said. "I was here in 2005. We were 4-12 and Brett was here then. We're all professionals. Everybody leads. It's more of a team spirit."

Maybe so, but it's hard to argue that something hasn't been missing from this team. The way it looks now, there will be plenty of time during the off-season to figure out whether it was Favre's leadership.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

They way I'm interpreting the large quote above from Rodgers is that hes putting off to other people to step up and not himself, as much as I like the guy and respect his consistent play this year is that a leader should take it upon himself, not put it off on other people. I know hes TRIED, but he has not done, what great leaders do, and what we need him to do in order to be successful in the future. I hope that I might just be reading that wrong, but thats what it sounds like to me, just my 2 cents
blank
Timmons
15 years ago
Where was Brett's leadership when we went 4-12?
blank
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
"I was here in 2005. We were 4-12 and Brett was here then. We're all professionals." -- Ruvell Martin
UserPostedImage
MattG04
15 years ago
I second that, playing with one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever life inspires players, ask the former teammates of Joe Montana, Steve Young, hell even Peyton Manning. Legendary players make average players, good players! Intangables are a real part of the game, plain and simple, I truly believe that imho.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
32m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.