warhawk
15 years ago

Want the only stat that matter to me in this little debate you guys have going.

9-7 to ?-9.

If you look at the season records of each QB.. Brett only had one losing one.. Rodgers has his quota full already.

QB's get more glory or blame than they deserve.. but if you insist on comparing them endlessly.. wins are what matter in the end.. did you find a way to win more than you lose.

It is arguable that this team, the 08 team had more talent than the early 90's teams.

I expect Rodgers and the Packers to bounce back win wise next season.. the kid has a poise about him and some fire burning within him.. I think this losing season might be something that drives him going forward.. kind of a hidden blessing to ensure a long and prosperous career.

"pack93z" wrote:

and hopefully a better than lousy playoff record too. I think also there is more to it than wins although that is how the general public will look at it.

This year for example. What is different from last years 13-3 team numbers wise?

Was there a big drop off in:
Passing yards-nope
Passing percentage-nope
Passing TDs-nope
INt/s-nope
Passing first downs-nope

Was there a drop off in:
Close games where the D held on-yep
points allowed-yep
sacks-big yep
pressures-big yep

overall punting-yep
kick coverage-yep

I find it kind of ironic that the one position where the numbers are very parrallel to last year is in the QB spot and that last years QB did about what this years did numbers wise but people have all these questions about this QB.

I mean statistics over a couple of games can be misleading but numbers over basically an entire year tell many more truths than lies. The truth is here we have gotten the same basic production out of the QB but we have failed to match the production in a lot of other areas from last year.

I guess what I am saying is a lot of the barking may be going up the wrong tree. All I know is when I go into statistics and click on "Passing Offense" the Green Bay Packers are higher up there than I would have imagined going into this season.
"The train is leaving the station."
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago
I guess I don't understand why we're still comparing the two, especially in terms of this season. Their respective situations are too different to do that, IMO.

But what the hell - maybe this is all a part of the process of purging the whole Favre Fiasco from our collective system, or something. Seems like an endless circular argument to me, but if it has to happen, okay.
blank
Pack93z
15 years ago
Warhawk.. I agree there is more to in than wins.. but in the end, the team and their perceived leader as a QB will be judged up that.

Just win Baby.

Team to me... top of the organization to the water boy on the sidelines.. if you have breakdowns anywhere in the process we see the effects on Sunday.

That is the nuts and bolts of it.. the makeup of this team this year just didn't have enough to win more than they lost.

That is the end game.. the dynamics are countless.. but those two series of numbers is all we see.

I love the underbelly stuff.. the x's and o's of the game more than I like the end results.. and I can tell you this year that was we have lots we can build upon but a number of things that need work.

Confidence and swagger being one.. fundamentals and focus being another.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

did you find a way to win more than you lose.

"pack93z" wrote:

That's what is so fundamentally wrong with this argument. It accepts the premise that ultimately, the QB is the one who finds the victory, rather than the team as the unit.

I'd be curious to see a statistical analysis of every game of Favre's career and see how many of them he objectively "won."

But it wouldn't matter. The fanatics would give him the credit for engineering every victory anyway. It's so boring.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
15 years ago

did you find a way to win more than you lose.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

That's what is so fundamentally wrong with this argument. It accepts the premise that ultimately, the QB is the one who finds the victory, rather than the team as the unit.

I'd be curious to see a statistical analysis of every game of Favre's career and see how many of them he objectively "won."

But it wouldn't matter. The fanatics would give him the credit for engineering every victory anyway. It's so boring.

"pack93z" wrote:

If ever a year showed you win as a team and lose as a team it's this year for the Packers. How many games did Rodgers walk off the field late in the game with a lead only to stand on the sidelines and watch the defense piss it away?

Of course I never have bought into that "judge the QB by his wins" crap anyhow. I thought one of Brett Favre's best years was '05 when he was out there slinging it all over the place with nearly every good player we had sitting on the sidelines hurt. He showed courage and leadership and never gave up and I rooted louder and harder for him that year than in some when we made the playoffs.

I thought Brett Favre walked off the field a "winner" way more often in '05 than any won/loss record shows but hey, that's me. Not everyone probably feels the same I'm sure.
Pack93z
15 years ago

If ever a year showed you win as a team and lose as a team it's this year for the Packers. How many games did Rodgers walk off the field late in the game with a lead only to stand on the sidelines and watch the defense piss it away?

"warhawk" wrote:

Curious, how many times did Rodgers lead a drive that would have put a cushion on the lead late in a game?

I haven't looked it up or tried to be cute.. I really wonder how many times Rodgers and this offense had an opportunity to seal away a victory with an additional score late.. instead of playing the we can't stop the routine on defense.

I don't pin the losses to Rodgers alone.. we as a team didn't pick each other up when the other segment failed. And neither the offense or the defense gave the other a margin of breathing room.. minus one game.. the Bears game. Neither unit ran hot together.. if the defense was on.. the offense struggled.. or vicey versey.. it never clicked.

I like the future of the Packers.. without a doubt, we have work to do and points of players games that need refining and growth.

As a board, we seem to think anytime a player is criticized that it is throwing them under the bus.. when in fact it is merely a acknowledgment of areas of the game in which it can be improved upon.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
I think the intellectual quality of our discussions would rise exponentially if every post containing the phrase "Brett Favre" or any permutation thereof (outside the appropriate section, obviously) were automatically screened out.

Yes, I'm an asshole for saying this. Yes, I'm comfortable with that.
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
15 years ago
You aren't an asshole. We are all just ticked off that our team sucks right now. We just need to win the last two games.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
warhawk
15 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

Curious, how many times did Rodgers lead a drive that would have put a cushion on the lead late in a game?

I haven't looked it up or tried to be cute.. I really wonder how many times Rodgers and this offense had an opportunity to seal away a victory with an additional score late.. instead of playing the we can't stop the routine on defense.

I don't pin the losses to Rodgers alone.. we as a team didn't pick each other up when the other segment failed. And neither the offense or the defense gave the other a margin of breathing room.. minus one game.. the Bears game. Neither unit ran hot together.. if the defense was on.. the offense struggled.. or vicey versey.. it never clicked.

I like the future of the Packers.. without a doubt, we have work to do and points of players games that need refining and growth.

As a board, we seem to think anytime a player is criticized that it is throwing them under the bus.. when in fact it is merely a acknowledgment of areas of the game in which it can be improved upon.

"warhawk" wrote:

Well, we averaged 26.5 points a game which I would think would be enough, don't you? Regardless of what drive they got them.
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
I would be curious to know if a team that has scored as much as the Packers have this season has ever had such a bad record in the history of the NFL.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (7h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (7h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (8h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (8h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (23h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (23h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (23h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
29m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

22h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.