15 years ago
Everyone understands the money that starting QB's make in this league.

Rodgers loses one or two nights of sleep after a loss, thinking of everything he could've done better.

And just to put it out there, Ted Thompson's ego is of comparable size to everybody else's, the world is in fact round, and Santa Claus doesn't really climb down chimneys.
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a little of both but to be honest no matter what i say you won't get it but, for the sakes of others I will clarify IMO players can be a little jealous of Rodgers because they busted their butts for a few years and didn't get the contract and then you turn around and see a guy that is starting his what 7th game and gets a huge contract. Now about your 2nd point it could be that Rodgers got his guaranteed money and he isn't out trying to prove he deserves it. Like i said these are just my opinions but people that watch football know players do these things, Look at a player in his contract year and they usually have better stats and the following year their numbers drop back down after they got there money.

But i know that Rodgers would never do that because he is all about the team and does nothing wrong and nothing is his fault to some people. So go ahead and make your bashes i have put up with them all year long.

"dhazer" wrote:

Oh calm down, Junior. I'm not gonna bash you, and you came in w/ an attitude that begs for a poor reaction, so I'm not sure why you're crying now.

A couple things, and do try to take them at face value. First off, I played football for years, so I have first-hand knowledge of what it takes to go out on that field and compete. I'm not saying you don't know, but you can save the "if you watch football" comments for someone else -- I watch football, I played football, I know football just fine, thank you.

Now, all I'm going to say is that I disagree with you. With the exception of a very few guys (one of whom a lot of people around here wanted to come and play for the Packers, for reasons I'll never understand), NFL players don't quit or stop putting forth the utmost effort because they're jealous of another player's salary (also, he may not have been starting, but I don't think it's fair to act like he sat around doing nothing for the last 3-4 years). They just don't -- for one, lack of effort can get you killed on the field, and for another they didn't dedicate their lives to the game to just loaf off when something didn't thrill them.

Similarly, I don't see Rodgers as not trying because he got paid. If anything, I think he's pressing too hard at this point because he wants to prove he's worth it, and that's led to some poor decision making on his part.

The bottom line is that you don't think he's got what it takes and I do. We'll see one way or another over the next couple years; all I'm suggesting is that you might want to give him a chance.
blank
dhazer
15 years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a little of both but to be honest no matter what i say you won't get it but, for the sakes of others I will clarify IMO players can be a little jealous of Rodgers because they busted their butts for a few years and didn't get the contract and then you turn around and see a guy that is starting his what 7th game and gets a huge contract. Now about your 2nd point it could be that Rodgers got his guaranteed money and he isn't out trying to prove he deserves it. Like i said these are just my opinions but people that watch football know players do these things, Look at a player in his contract year and they usually have better stats and the following year their numbers drop back down after they got there money.

But i know that Rodgers would never do that because he is all about the team and does nothing wrong and nothing is his fault to some people. So go ahead and make your bashes i have put up with them all year long.

"Cheesey" wrote:

You mean.....just like Brett Favre did?

"dhazer" wrote:

I dont get what your pointing at Cheesey as far as Favre. I remember Brett taking pay cuts and restructuring his contract to resign players or do i dare say it offer to pay Moss out of his contract? So i really don't understand what your getting at?
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
15 years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a little of both but to be honest no matter what i say you won't get it but, for the sakes of others I will clarify IMO players can be a little jealous of Rodgers because they busted their butts for a few years and didn't get the contract and then you turn around and see a guy that is starting his what 7th game and gets a huge contract.

It is possible that you are right, Dave, but I think it unlikely. His teammates need look no further than Aaron's contemporaries at the position to recognize that a starting caliber quarterback commands tall coin. The Romo signing early on would be helpful to mitigate any potential resentments along those lines.

Now about your 2nd point it could be that Rodgers got his guaranteed money and he isn't out trying to prove he deserves it. Like i said these are just my opinions but people that watch football know players do these things, Look at a player in his contract year and they usually have better stats and the following year their numbers drop back down after they got there money.

There is no evidence that this is the case in this instance. Upon reflection, I'm having a difficult time contemplating the idea that an NFL quarterback has ever rested on his laurels, so to speak. It is a concept that seems antithetical to the type of individual that finds himself an NFL quarterback in the first place. I think it fair to say that if one were to generalize about the make-up of quarterbacks, one would lean towards a term like "leader." Leaders lead in large part by example. Brett Favre would come to mind, and so far from what I have seen, so does Aaron Rodgers. I think this aspect of your "Aaron Rodgers is paid too much too soon gong show :icon_smile: " needs further review on your part.

imo

"dhazer" wrote:

There are those folks here and elsewhere, there is no doubt, but I would submit that reactionary logic and rhetoric runs both ways. I think you know that I, for example, always try to respect your opinion, but I think you also know that I think you get too wound up at times in the midst of your argument. It's a goose and gander thing, or pots and kettles, or me not having beer....
:thumbleft:
McPack
15 years ago
We haven't been the same team since the Titans loss. The bye week may have stolen what momentum was left after that loss. Too bad,because we were a solid team up to that point.
blank
dhazer
15 years ago
Ilike i see your points and i also said this was my opinion not facts and i wasn't getting all wound up, I was actually really calm just wanted to give the reasoning behind my thoughts, and you have been knocking everyone of my posts thats why i put in the comment about you not getting it. Noone here knows what goes thru these players minds but like i said when you get a stud WR saying i want to wait till the end of the season to discuss my contract and the next day Rodgers signs his. That only could have put doubt in some of the players minds about Rodger. I have no clue but it could happen. Also Foster i did say that its a known fact that players playing for their next contract seem to play better and once they get the contract their stats usually go down. I understood where both of you were coming from and i can see what your saying.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
15 years ago
Everyone in that locker room should know the "NFL Is A Business." I am pretty sure everyone on this team has an agent, and no Packers represent themselves.

Greg and Aaron have agents. Both of those agents have made their point to both of them. It was the right thing monetarily for Aaron and his agent to sign now. Just like it will be the right thing for Greg to let his value build to a boil.

I think the players in the locker room know this, and read nothing into it.

I think the theory that Aaron lost respect from some of the team for signing the big contract is born from dhazer's dislike for Arron period, because it makes no sense at all from a NFL Player standpoint.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago

Ilike i see your points and i also said this was my opinion not facts and i wasn't getting all wound up, I was actually really calm just wanted to give the reasoning behind my thoughts, and you have been knocking everyone of my posts thats why i put in the comment about you not getting it. Noone here knows what goes thru these players minds but like i said when you get a stud WR saying i want to wait till the end of the season to discuss my contract and the next day Rodgers signs his. That only could have put doubt in some of the players minds about Rodger. I have no clue but it could happen. Also Foster i did say that its a known fact that players playing for their next contract seem to play better and once they get the contract their stats usually go down. I understood where both of you were coming from and i can see what your saying.

"dhazer" wrote:

I can't really help the fact that I totally disagree with you on Rodgers, man -- it's not personal, but I just don't see what you see. I'm not knocking all your posts, I'm disagreeing with your takes on Rodgers. I see a young QB that's playing at a high level in his first year and logic dictates that he'll improve, and you see... something completely different, which to me smacks of a bias against him that doesn't have to do with football.

You're right, though: Neither of us knows what's in his head and his heart. For instance, you see Jennings waiting to sign as him being a team guy, whereas a lot of commentators have speculated that he's waiting because he'll probablty get more because he waited -- I tend to agree with you, but the bottom line is that nobody really knows, and we'll see what we see.

The only thing I'll say about the rest of your post is that I don't agree about it being a known fact that players play hard in their contract year and then coast after they get a payday. It's certainly happened, but you can also find plenty of instances where their play either stayed consistent or elevated after they got paid. Yeah, the media puts the guys who coasted in our faces all the time, because they love to drub up the whole "pro athletes are overpaid" crap, but IMO it's not any sort of given that Rodgers is coasting because he got paid. That's a biased assumption, which given your low opinion of him isn't very surprising.

Again, I've got no personal problem with you at all -- don't know you, so how could I? Do I disagree with you on Rodgers, and am I baffled as to what pisses you off so much about him? You bet.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

The bye week may have stolen what momentum was left after that loss.

"McPack" wrote:

This theory makes about as much sense to me as the idea that the Packers' struggles stem from the loss of "intangibles" that Favre brought to the table.

Less and less do I believe in "momentum." I think it's a phenomenon that everyone sees because everyone else sees it. If it exists, it's only because it's a self-fulfilling prophecy in the minds of the players themselves. It has nothing to do with, say, any known law of physics.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
15 years ago
I will say that the end of the story for this year came when Cullen Jenkins went down. When that happened our pass rush went out the window along with any hope of being a contender this year.

Now there are extenuating circumstances that places the loss of a season on one player as that should obviously not ever happen but in this case it did.
With Williams gone, Harrell coming into the season hurt, and KGB becoming a non-factor with the knee it was absolutely essential if this team was to succeed for Jenkins to play and at a high level.

We've created no pressure from the middle on early downs or from the right side on third down since he went out and the rest is history. We would be right there on the verge of a victory and the other teams QB could just stand back there and pick us apart without ever seeing any pressure. Game, set, match. Week after week.

I hope we put twelve freaking DL on the roster next year after this experience.
"The train is leaving the station."
Fan Shout
dfosterf (10h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (11h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (13h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (14h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (17h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (18h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Around The NFL / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.