hosemeoff
15 years ago
This is an interesting discussion. I do wonder what metrics are used to determine luckiness. For example, Green Bay has 6 Touchdowns on D (most in the league) and the league average is 1.4. These 4 and half TDs above the average equals about 32 points. GB is also barely ahead of the curve in ST TDs, so there's a couple more points in our favor, which could also explain our perceived unluckiness in scoring differential above.

The point is, in games like baseball that truly only require 1 player at any moment in time to execute perfectly it is probably easier to apply a statistical model to predict success. In football there are 11 players at any moment in time that must execute, which makes the statistics much fuzzier. They don't record failures to execute (errors) in football (at least not on the scoreboard for all to see).

I've always liked the saying "luck is when preparation meets opportunity," and unfortunately I think our offseason preparation has yielded the unluckiness we are experiencing in our opportunities. Does anyone still believe that Corey Williams wasn't worth a little more money (please no snide comments about his perceived lesser production in Cleveland since he only has .5 sacks in a vastly different D scheme - he was an outstanding player in GBs scheme)?
blank
IronMan
15 years ago

I've always liked the saying "luck is when preparation meets opportunity,"

"hosemeoff" wrote:

I like that. +1
15 years ago

This is an interesting discussion. I do wonder what metrics are used to determine luckiness. For example, Green Bay has 6 Touchdowns on D (most in the league) and the league average is 1.4. These 4 and half TDs above the average equals about 32 points. GB is also barely ahead of the curve in ST TDs, so there's a couple more points in our favor, which could also explain our perceived unluckiness in scoring differential above.

"hosemeoff" wrote:

I see what you're trying to say, but I think it's irrelevant, unless defensive points didn't matter towards determining which team won or lost a game.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

I see what you're trying to say, but I think it's irrelevant, unless defensive points didn't matter towards determining which team won or lost a game.

"hosemeoff" wrote:

I think someplace in there you have to factor margin of victory into this "luck" equation.. take the Bears game in which we win by hmmm 35 coupled with a 23 point victory over the pathetic Lions and normalize the margin.. because that this is an anomaly all by itself..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
DarkaneRules
15 years ago
I think the Lions win and Saints loss can cancel each other out, but the Bears win is a pesky one.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
15 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

I think someplace in there you have to factor margin of victory into this "luck" equation.. take the Bears game in which we win by hmmm 35 coupled with a 23 point victory over the pathetic Lions and normalize the margin.. because that this is an anomaly all by itself..

"hosemeoff" wrote:

REALLY hard to determine, but you make a good point about why this statistic is at the very least troublesome. There are also games where we may have had a big lead and loosened up on defense, allowing some points. Or games where our offense went into a different mode based on the score, scoring less.
UserPostedImage
HoustonMatt
15 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

"hosemeoff" wrote:

I tend to agree with this statement and it's one of the reason why Pythagorean Records works so well in baseball, but has yet to be applied to football. Simply put - sample size. Pythagorean Record is based on the premise that run distribution should even out around the mean over the course of the season. Sound premise in a 162 games season where on 22-3 victory is blip on the total radar. However, a large margin of victory or loss over the course of a 16 game season holds a lot more weight.

BUT, not necessarily in the Packers case. You could just as easily use the Saints loss to "cancel out" the Bears win and still get a fairly normal distribution. That's kind of pointless though as I'm not suggesting we use the data I originally posted as an end all be all statistic. It simply points to a larger trend that many people on this board and around football have noticed - that the Packers ARE a better team than their record would show and that all other things being equal, the Packers should have a much improved record next year.

As for dhazer's question about whether or not this meant the Packers were lucky last year.....yes, it does. The article states that using the same formula for last year's numbers showed the Packers as being the luckiest team in football.

It's also great to see some other statistically-inclined board members here. I forget who posted the chart, but thanks for running that regression model.
blank
HoustonMatt
15 years ago

Tennessee: +147 (12-2)
NY Giants: +128 (11-3)
Baltimore: +112 (9-5)
Pittsburgh: +110 (11-3)
Philadelphia: +96 (8-5-1)
Carolina: +89 (11-3)
NY Jets: +66 (9-5)
Tampa Bay: +62 (9-5)
Atlanta: +55 (9-5)
Minnesota: +52 (9-5)
Indianapolis: +49 (10-4)
New England: +48 (9-5)
San Diego: +44 (6-8)
Dallas: +44 (9-5)
New Orleans Saints: +39 (7-7)
Green Bay: +32 (5-9)
Chicago: +29 (8-6)
Arizona: +28 (8-6)
Miami: +14 (9-5)
Buffalo: 0 (6-8)
Houston: -24 (7-7)
Washington: -35 (7-7)
Jacksonville: -38 (5-9)
Denver: -40 (8-6)
San Francisco: -46 (5-9)
Cleveland: -73 (4-10)
Seattle: -95 (3-11)
Kansas City: -132 (2-12)
Oakland: -143 (3-11)
Cincinnati: -184 (2-11)
Detroit: -204 (0-14)
St. Louis: -228 (2-12)

If net points mean anything, GB and San Diego are the two unlucky teams, and Denver is the lucky team.

I wouldn't feel wrong saying that San Diego should have a better record than they do this year, either.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

This is just a fantastic chart. Of the teams with positive point differentials, only 2 have losing records. Of the teams with negative point differentials, only one has a winning record. If you'd like to ignore point differentials, do so at your own peril. But the evidence exists that win-loss record and point differential have about as strong of a correlation as one could find.

Looking at this, you have to ask two questions: Why do San Diego and Green Bay have such poor records and why does Denver have a good record? Those are the only three anomalies. The Denver/San Diego question can partially be answered by Ed Hochuli. Without that clearly blown call gifting Denver a win, those two teams sit at 7-7.

So what about Green Bay?

I think the crux of the debate lies in the usage of the word "luck". It has a certain negative connotation to some people and I think it gets misconstrued a bit.

Luck, in this sense, isn't the same as luck in the sense of flipping a coin or pulling an inside straight. Those are event which are purely random an of which an individual has zero control.

Luck in the sense that we're using the term is a little different. It's tough to explain, so if anyone else can do it better than I, please do so. I'll try to do it with a few recent examples.

1. The Steve Smith catch
2. The Edwards fumble returned by the Jets for a TD
3. The Eagles ST fumble last year against us that gave us the go ahead score
4. Sage Rosenfels' meltdown against the Colts in the final 5 minutes
5. Mario Williams' sack on third down to knock us out of FG range

None of these events were purely random or individually strange. You'd expect all of them to happen in one form or another over the course of the season. What's significant is not that these things happen, but in what scenario they occur and how many times you're on the losing end. Even though Steve Smith is expected to make that catch from time to time, more often than not, he won't. The fact that he made it against us and with very little time remaining in the game could be considered a bit "unlucky." Mario Williams should be expected to get about one sack vs Rodgers, but he can't control when he gets that sack any more than our line can control when we give it up. If that were the case, then we would obviously try to give up our Mario Williams sack very early in the game, while he would try to save it for the most crucial point (even though he can't possibly know that until after the fact) of every game. So you could say that we got a bit "unlucky" that his sack occurred on the down it did, where on the field it did, and at what point of the game it did.

Basically, in all sports (and life) positive and negative things happen and you can't really control when they occur. You just hope they the bad comes at the most preferable time. Sometimes all the bad comes at reasonably acceptable times. Sometimes it comes at the worst time possible. That is kind of what we mean by "luck."

Hopefully that makes sense. If not, I'm happy to try to explain further.

EDIT: Moving the concept outside of the realm of sports might help. Take this example. You're in between jobs and have no extra money lying around because you've exhausted your savings while looking for work. Then you get in a little fender bender that you caused. The fender bender was completely your fault and you were in control of every action that led up to it. But you certainly didn't plan for it to happen while you were broke. You say, "it's just my luck that this would happen now." It's not that the fender bender was completely beyond your control, but the timing of it kind of was. Of course you'd be expected to get in a fender bender at some point in your life, but if you could control when it happened, you'd take your fender bender right after you received your tax refund and had some extra money around. But you can't control it, so in a sense, you got a little "unlucky."
blank
Since69
15 years ago
Some favorite quotes:

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
Benjamin Disraeli (no, not Mark Twain)

"42.7% of statistics are made up on the spot"
Anonymous

"90% of statistics can be made to say anything."
"Anything?"
"50% of the time..."
Direct TV commercial

"Good Christ, I hate statistics!"
Since69
UserPostedImage
15 years ago
Statistics are a tool, not Scripture. People who understand statistics understand the limitations, and the value.
-Me, just now.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (16m) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (15h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (15h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (16h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (16h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (17h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
33m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.