wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
15 years ago

Do you realize you just called me a liar?

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

Whoa, really bad choice of words to start my post you quoted.

What I meant to refer to, with the "I don't think so" bit is the part where you said: "Even if they kick the FG if they run the ball 3 times it is still poor play calling."

I don't think so, with regards to that. It'd be completely idiotic (and out of character for me) to call you a liar when you say you would do something regardless. Didn't mean to imply that at all. Sorry.

"wpr" wrote:

It's all right. I know that is not what you normally would say. It is late. I took your statement too literal.
In the past I would have been more inclinded to back up the coach's decision to play for 3. When Crosby missed those 2 or 3 kicks before half time earlier in the year I was not one of the posters who complained. Now I am saying there is a pretty solid track record for Crosby and center and holder (and now linemen) to choke under pressure. In baseball if the closer hasn't been doing his job for a couple of weeks you don't keep going to him (and still expect to win) Mike should have done something else tonight.
No hard feelings on my part. I hope none on yours.
I am headed for bed.
UserPostedImage
Jakest3r
15 years ago
On another note, Mike Montgomery's half sack he scored with Pickett in the 3rd Q I believe; constructed the greatest after-sack taunt of all-time.

Despite the loss, it was the highlight of the night for me.
blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
15 years ago
I turned my computer on to say just one more thing.
The Bears defense is good against the run (7th) and poor against the pass (28th).
Mike Brown left the game with an injury and further weaked their pass coverage. Why not go after them at their weak point?
UserPostedImage
IronMan
15 years ago

Why not go after them at their weak point?

"wpr" wrote:

Bad coaching.
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago
Interesting note from McCarthy's press conference:

(On why he didn't call a play-action pass, instead of three straight runs)
MM: It was an option. We had those as options, run and pass options ...

Mike McCarthy called a run/pass option play that basically let Aaron decide whether to run or (play-action) throw based off the look the Bears' D gave him.

So perhaps Mike McCarthy doesn't deserve all the blame...
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Fred
15 years ago

This is exactly what I've been advocating as well. I don't understand why everyone assumes that when we say "Go for the TD," we mean toss the ball into the end zone on every play. All we're saying is make a concerted effort to keep moving toward the end zone, instead of deliberately stalling to kill time and kick a field goal.

If you happen not to get it into the end zone on third down, so be it -- you kick the field goal. But at least you TRIED to put it out of reach. And you've killed time off the clock to boot.

"djcubez" wrote:

That's exactly spot on. I've seen this scenario so many times.

1. We get the ball and we throw a pass for maybe 3-5 yards. Second down we throw for the first.

2. Another first and ten but this time we run it. Loss of 2. So on 2nd and 12 we do the obvious and pass, but Rodger's gets sacked/throws an incompletion/throws it away. 3rd and 12 we do a run or dump off pass. Fourth down we punt.

Stubborness. It's costing us so much. If only we could call plays a little more aggressive. I believe Rodger's playing style as a QB is much more aggressive than his coaches, and they're not using it to their advantage.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

This is why I think BF was so valuable last year, but no one wants to give him credit.

Favre would audibilize or options out of alot of plays called by Mike McCarthy based on the look of the defense.

Also, the Packers should have had more points and put it away earlier because the Bears turned the ball over 2 times.
blank
packer98
15 years ago
This defense is terrible at maintaining any level of quality play. Granted I do not think our personnell is all that great, but guys do not make plays when it needs to get done. I think Sanders and Stock need to go, then we need a hell of a good draft. No reaches such as Harrell!!!!! A top notch FA would not hurt either. Opinions???
blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
15 years ago

Mike McCarthy: It was an option. We had those as options, run and pass options ...

Mike McCarthy called a run/pass option play that basically let Aaron decide whether to run or (play-action) throw based off the look the Bears' D gave him.

I expected him to say that. Like a girl he is hiding behind his QB. A 1st yr QB at that. Like I said last nite, I want a coach with some guts. Call a pass play not an option. Call a pass play that the QB rolls out of the pocket for the run option. Take some of the blame for the cr@ppy plays.
When they maxed potected Rodgers had all nite to pass. Given the time the receivers were getting open. The Bears coverage was lousy. A coach has to be able to recognize it and take a stand and make the right calls.

Since this team has been anytthing but NFL caliber during the 4th Q this year there is no way that McCarthy should have expected them to act like a NFL caliber team. The good coaches make adjustments from game to game and from play to play. Mike McCarthy has not done this all year long. Poor coaching on his part.

Any way no one will change anybody else's mind. I say Mike McCarthy lost the game. He has been like a deer in the head lights for most of the year. If they fire him (and I know they won't) it would be fine with me. I know it means starting over and learning a new system. They can't fire 53 players and start over just get a new coaching staff. It would show the players they are serious about winning and that everyone including the HC is responsible for their actions and perhaps the players would feel like they have to perform for a whole game or they will be next.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago
I was thinking. Why didn't McCarthy at least challenge that 4th down run by the bears. There was enough time left that the TO would not have been necessary, but by doing so would have shown that coaching staff had some faith that the D held. In not doing so, sort of deflated the D even more.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
IronMan
15 years ago

Mike McCarthy: It was an option. We had those as options, run and pass options ...

"wpr" wrote:

I expected him to say that. Like a girl he is hiding behind his QB. A 1st yr QB at that. Like I said last nite, I want a coach with some guts. Call a pass play not an option. Call a pass play that the QB rolls out of the pocket for the run option. Take some of the blame for the cr@ppy plays.
When they maxed potected Rodgers had all nite to pass. Given the time the receivers were getting open. The Bears coverage was lousy. A coach has to be able to recognize it and take a stand and make the right calls.

Since this team has been anytthing but NFL caliber during the 4th Q this year there is no way that McCarthy should have expected them to act like a NFL caliber team. The good coaches make adjustments from game to game and from play to play. Mike McCarthy has not done this all year long. Poor coaching on his part.

Any way no one will change anybody else's mind. I say Mike McCarthy lost the game. He has been like a deer in the head lights for most of the year. If they fire him (and I know they won't) it would be fine with me. I know it means starting over and learning a new system. They can't fire 53 players and start over just get a new coaching staff. It would show the players they are serious about winning and that everyone including the HC is responsible for their actions and perhaps the players would feel like they have to perform for a whole game or they will be next.

Thats the problem with this team. NO ACCOUNTABILITY. NONE. How in the hell does it take 13 effing weeks to cut Frost? Other players see this. And they have no reason to fear for their jobs, if someone is allowed to play like shit for 13 weeks with no consequences. Its bad for morale.