UffDaVikes
15 years ago
You guys have been the best in the NFCN over the past decade at developing talent internally through the draft. It seems to me that unless you have lost your core of scouting and development personnel that you would be better served by sticking with the draft and developing your players unless there is a hole in the roster where the development just didn't work.

But you are in a much better position financially than my team in that respect and my guess is if we don't cash in by the end of next year we are going to be losing the expensive acquisitions without any payoff for the investment.

Obviously in the early 90's when your team has many issues and they went aggressively after guys like White, Jackson, Favre etc it paid off and got the ball rolling, but what maintained the team was the draft, not huge FA signings.

Don't get me wrong, I would rather see your team spend every penny on high dollar FA's and have them not work out, but I might be a little biased.
UserPostedImage
macbob
15 years ago
Can't see us being able to go after a top-of-the-line free agent acquisition without losing one or more of our own 2010 free agents (Jennings, Collins, Kampman, Pickett)--likely more than one, as we're going to have difficulty signing all of those guys even without going after an addition.
UserPostedImage
macbob
15 years ago

It's not that hard to resign Greg Jennings, Aaron Kampman, and Nick Collins and then sign Albert Haynesworth and Jordan Gross. It can be done and I believe should be done or some sort of version of that.

"porky88" wrote:

Personally, I expect it's going to be difficult enough to sign Jennings, Kampman, and Collins (along with Pickett, Spitz, Colledge, Blackmon, and Chillar, not to mention Atari Bigby in 2009).

If you can rehire our own guys AND preserve enough cap space to go after Hayneworth and Gross, then you're hired. Go to it.
UserPostedImage
dhpackr
15 years ago
a GM with some common sense!
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
Cheesey
15 years ago

a GM with some common sense!

"dhpackr" wrote:

Which we have,.........so maybe we will get one or two.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
15 years ago

Can't see us being able to go after a top-of-the-line free agent acquisition without losing one or more of our own 2010 free agents (Jennings, Collins, Kampman, Pickett)--likely more than one, as we're going to have difficulty signing all of those guys even without going after an addition.

"macbob" wrote:

Out of those four players, I'd rather re-sign Greg Jennings, then Kampman, Collins, and then Pickett. Also, if we're going to sign some premier FAs then we need to sign our own, already proven on this team, before we go out and sign some big names.
UserPostedImage
porky88
15 years ago

It's not that hard to resign Greg Jennings, Aaron Kampman, and Nick Collins and then sign Albert Haynesworth and Jordan Gross. It can be done and I believe should be done or some sort of version of that.

"macbob" wrote:

Personally, I expect it's going to be difficult enough to sign Jennings, Kampman, and Collins (along with Pickett, Spitz, Colledge, Blackmon, and Chillar, not to mention Atari Bigby in 2009).

If you can rehire our own guys AND preserve enough cap space to go after Hayneworth and Gross, then you're hired. Go to it.

"porky88" wrote:

If I was hired I wouldn't resign Spitz, Pickett, Colledge, and Chillar.

Bigby would be on a tryout for 09. Blackmon would be brought back if he's reasonable.

Pretty much my plan would be

Sign Nick Collins to a long term contract extension.

Sign Jordan Gross and then release Chad Clifton to clear cap space.

Sign Albert Haynesworth and then release Ryan Pickett to clear cap space.

Sign a fairly solid guard. I have to assume one is out there and move Daryn Colledge to 2nd string tackle or sign Vernon Carey to replace Mark Tauscher at right tackle.

Draft a pass rusher with the first pick such Orakpo.

Trade up into late round 1 and draft Jason Smith to play right tackle or pending what's done in free agency I'd consider Duke Robinson and preferably Alex Mack as well for an interior lineman.

Even with all those moves I'm all but certain Green Bay should still have enough room to give contract extensions to Greg Jennings and Aaron Kampman sometime during 2009.

If worse comes to worse I'd use the franchise tag on Greg Jennings and then negotiate a contract in 2010.
macbob
15 years ago

"porky88" wrote:

"macbob" wrote:

Bigby would be on a tryout for 09. Blackmon would be brought back if he's reasonable.

Sign a fairly solid guard. I have to assume one is out there and move Daryn Colledge to 2nd string tackle or sign Vernon Carey to replace Mark Tauscher at right tackle.

Trade up into late round 1 and draft Jason Smith to play right tackle or pending what's done in free agency I'd consider Duke Robinson and preferably Alex Mack as well for an interior lineman.

Even with all those moves I'm all but certain Green Bay should still have enough room to give contract extensions to Greg Jennings and Aaron Kampman sometime during 2009.

If worse comes to worse I'd use the franchise tag on Greg Jennings and then negotiate a contract in 2010.

"porky88" wrote:

That's real easy to say IF there are no other options out there for those players. But with 31 other teams out there bidding against you for those guys services, it's not as easy as you make out.

It's nice to have a wish list, but this is pretty much a fantasy bordering on a miracle. Think your post should have been in the "You have been blessed with one hypothetical wish..." topic.

I say again, if you can pull it off, you're hired.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago

I seen a good point about this could be the last capped year and we better lock up the guys now. But the bad thing is don't you think the players and agents know this also? If you were to become a FA in 2010 would you sign a contract now when you know that when your contract is up that you could get insane money then?

"go.pack.go." wrote:

Well, they could always wait until 2010 if they wanted to be a dick about it.

"dhazer" wrote:

It is a possibility that players would wait until 2010. But that is a gamble on their part. Assuming 2010 is uncapped they would make out. But my guess is that neither the players or the owners want it to go uncapped. There will be a new CBA and there is a good chance that the split is not going to be as beneficial to the players. Which will more than likely cause a slight tightening of the players salaries.

It is a roll of the dice either way.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
zombieslayer
15 years ago

"porky88" wrote:

Sounds good except I won't get rid of Pickett. We learned the hard way that the Packers work the heck out of our DTs and we need every good DT we can get, especially considering I think most of us agree Justin Harrell is a bust. At least Cullen Jenkins will be back next year.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
dfosterf (18h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (19h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (22h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (22h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14m / Around The NFL / beast

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.