macbob
15 years ago
Don't need a blockbuster FA. This team isn't that far off. We lost 7 games by 4 pts or less. Need to work on the DL and OL, but we're in fairly good shape at the skill positions. Would rather focus on resigning Jennings, Collins, etc first, so we don't create some additional holes that we have to fill.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
15 years ago

LT was is it bashing saying Ted Thompson won't sign any big name FA? Its the facts man just the facts lol. Sure bring up Woodson but cmon Woodson him self said we weren't his first choice. Ted Thompson signs the basement free agents.

"dhazer" wrote:

of course its the fact but my god its 3 months away.

Thats all I meant, I rather not sit here for 3 months seeing that crap every single day...
macbob
15 years ago

LT was is it bashing saying Ted Thompson won't sign any big name FA? Its the facts man just the facts lol. Sure bring up Woodson but cmon Woodson him self said we weren't his first choice. Ted Thompson signs the basement free agents.

"dhazer" wrote:

I agree that Thompson doesn't go after the biggest name free agents. He's avoiding the feeding frenzy at the beginning of FA, when players are bid up to astronomical levels. He waits for the frenzy to die down, and then goes after whoever's left and tries to get them at a reasonable price.

That's exactly what he did with Woodson. And the fact that Thompson was able to get Woodson to come to GB even though GB wasn't his first choice tells me that he did a great job when he pursued Woodson.

And if Woodson is a 'basement' free agent, then I'd be happy if Thompson signed a whole team of 'basement' free agents.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

We lost 7 games by 4 pts or less.

"macbob" wrote:

We lost to the team with the best record in football by 3 points in overtime.

For all of you saying it's a "fact" that Ted Thompson won't bring in a big-name free agent, until February 27 rolls around, it's nothing more than pure speculation -- and spiteful at that.

If I had my druthers, we'd table all such discussions until we have more substantive data on which to base our analyses.
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago
I don't see how we can say that we KNOW Thompson will or won't do anything. We know that his stated preference is to build through the draft and with second-tier FA signings. We know that in the time he's been here he's been true to that stated preference, mostly - I'm not keen on the revisionist history when it comes to Woody, though. I recall that only a few people looked at that signing poorly when we got him and I personally was elated.

What we're looking at now - a team about which you can say they're only a few pieces away (as many of you have illustrated far better than I could) - this is a new situation for the team under Thompson's control, so I'm willing to admit that I don't know what to expect. Heck, for that matter, he left Seattle at a similar juncture, so you can't look there for proof, either. It certainly seems clear that 1-3 FA signings (1 big splash, the other two more like what he's done already, i.e. Grant) are in order for this team, and I sure as hell hope he's able to see that and acts accordingly.

If not, perhaps I'll join in the ranks of the fans who don't think Thompson's the guy to get the job done. But I'm certainly going to give him a chance to at least prove it.

Put another way: He has the opportunity to do the right thing; shake the snow-globe. Tell McCarthy that whether or not he wants to be loyal to his guys, Sanders and Stock are gone. Go out and find a guy with a vision for the defense and the ability to bring that vision to the field. Give him total control over the defense. Go out and get one guy on the Peppers/Haynesworth level, someone we can look at and confidently say "That just made our team better". He's got a lot of work to do, for sure - more than any of us would have guessed about 4 months ago. But I'm at least going to give him a chance to do that work before I conclude that he can't do it.

EDIT: Nonstop said it better and with fewer words.
blank
nathaniel
15 years ago
I just wonder how Ted Thompson views the last few seasons. 4-12, 8-8, 13-3, 6-10. Given those records, which season looks like the "fluke" season? IMHO, it looks like it's the 13-3 season.

I'm not saying we didn't earn that 13-3 record, but Ted Thompson has to notice that changes need to be made in places other than the draft. I'm also not implying that we need to go out and sign the biggest FAs we can find, but we need to take a good hard look at what's available. Granted, injuries did play a part in our bad D play this season, but coming back healthy with all the same guys can't be the only answer here. Trades seem like a better option to me than signing FAs for a ton of money. We are a very young team with a lot of guys with big upsides. Can we let a few of them go if a good deal presents itself?
blank
porky88
15 years ago
I don't expect him to break the bank either. I'd be shocked to see the Packers sign one player in free agency. Maybe a tackle. I assume they'll keep their own players and continue to develop from within, but there is always the slight chance that Thompson could feel some pressure and break the bank due to the heat that is on him now. If the Packers don't make the playoffs next year, he's gone in my opinion and I'm not sure developing from within is going to be fast enough to save his job.
Pack93z
15 years ago

I don't expect him to break the bank either. I'd be shocked to see the Packers sign one player in free agency. Maybe a tackle. I assume they'll keep their own players and continue to develop from within, but there is always the slight chance that Thompson could feel some pressure and break the bank due to the heat that is on him now. If the Packers don't make the playoffs next year, he's gone in my opinion and I'm not sure developing from within is going to be fast enough to save his job.

"porky88" wrote:

Well I certainly hope he doesn't deploy the "save my rear" approach to the season either.. add players that fit the system, structure and financial means of the franchise..

I personally would be happy with one DL acquisition of note, either DT or DE.. Jenkins is flexible enough to fill and rotate into either role.. preference though is DT with a little pass rushing skills.. Jolly and Pickett can eat space in a rotation..

An maybe a replacement at either tackle.. personally I would look to replace Cliffy and resign Taush.. keep Clifton around if he restructures his deal.. guy still is effective on natural grass.. he can't handle speed effectively on turf anymore.

I would also look to stock the shelves at outside backer.. apply some heat to Hawk, Poppinga and possibly Barnett.. that could take place in the draft though.

If Bigby struggles to stay healthy over the offseason work outs.. I would look to add a veteran safety to help this team.. a guy that still has range and can tackle effectively.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
go.pack.go.
15 years ago

If Bigby struggles to stay healthy over the offseason work outs.. I would look to add a veteran safety to help this team.. a guy that still has range and can tackle effectively.

"pack93z" wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, Darren Sharper is a FA after this year. Why not go back after him?
UserPostedImage
porky88
15 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

Well I certainly hope he doesn't deploy the "save my rear" approach to the season either.. add players that fit the system, structure and financial means of the franchise..

I personally would be happy with one DL acquisition of note, either DT or DE.. Jenkins is flexible enough to fill and rotate into either role.. preference though is DT with a little pass rushing skills.. Jolly and Pickett can eat space in a rotation..

An maybe a replacement at either tackle.. personally I would look to replace Cliffy and resign Taush.. keep Clifton around if he restructures his deal.. guy still is effective on natural grass.. he can't handle speed effectively on turf anymore.

I would also look to stock the shelves at outside backer.. apply some heat to Hawk, Poppinga and possibly Barnett.. that could take place in the draft though.

"porky88" wrote:

I think they need to sign a relatively big name offensive and defensive lineman. Then I would look for another smaller name offensive lineman and then in the draft they need an impact player with the 9th pick. They can't draft a project and I don't think they will this time around.

I think three guys in free agency. I don't think they need to go all Washington Redskins on Packer fans, but I do think Jordan Gross and Albert Haynesworth are worth every penny.
Fan Shout
Nonstopdrivel (6m) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (7m) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (9m) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (10m) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (41m) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (1h) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (2h) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (2h) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (2h) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (2h) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.