Pack93z
15 years ago
A Couple of notes..

Grant improved his ball security vastly this season.. I dare many to try and criticize Grants fumble when landing on his head.. Look at the stats.. Grant did a exceptional job keeping hold of the ball.

Did Grant run downhill with a burst all season long, nope.. but the last 5 to 6 weeks he did pick it up a pace.. he has a nasty habit of turning his back to the north and trying to pick up yards.. he needs to knock that crap off and run more like he did this past Sunday.

Everyone is on Wynn for the past two weeks.. while I agree he has looked better now than ever.. his two big runs the last two weeks, the holes were mammoth in proportion to some of the lanes Grant or Jackson has seen in this season.

People blast a 1200 yard back.. in the mid 90's we would have treasured a 1200 yard back.. hell we were begging for a 1000 yard back..

The expectations were higher for Grant this season.. so I understand that.. but he certainly wasn't a terrible back for us this season..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
No one is saying Grant was a terrible back. People are critical of him for trying to jump the gun and cash instead of getting his ass into training camp, working hard, and proving he wasn't a flash in the pan. If he had demonstrated the same kind of brilliance this season as he had last, he would easily have made far more money next year. As it was, he was handed an incentive-laden contract that did pay him more than he was slated to receive under his previous contract, but not astronomically more.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago
Not sure if everybody is aware, this was not a bonus for this year. These incentives would have raised his base salary for 2009.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
Mm, then I say preventing him from obtaining those milestones would have been even smarter. It's not as though it affected the outcome of the game.

(And we don't know for sure that McCarthy really was holding him back, anyway.)
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago

No one is saying Grant was a terrible back. People are critical of him for trying to jump the gun and cash instead of getting his ass into training camp, working hard, and proving he wasn't a flash in the pan. If he had demonstrated the same kind of brilliance this season as he had last, he would easily have made far more money next year. As it was, he was handed an incentive-laden contract that did pay him more than he was slated to receive under his previous contract, but not astronomically more.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I have no problem with him missing the incentive.. and by his own comments neither did he in the least.

I had really no issue with him forcing the issue on his contract this season.. there is a definite issue with the CBA in UDFA getting caught in the no pay zone of restricted free agency. He attended every meeting, practice and what not, but didn't participate with the injury fear.. he didn't pull a true hold out in that sense, he refused to sign the RFA tender.. which was his right.

Getting 350 K this season for 1200 yards isn't exactly fair either.. so he signed a incentive laden contract the protects the Packers to a great extent and still pays him fair money while proving himself in the interim as well.

Does it suck that the agreement took so long in this drama filled offseason.. yep.. but even the Packers brass knew that the RFA tag and compensation wasn't fair.. I truly think it was a pretty diplomatic way of handling a bad situation.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
DakotaT
15 years ago

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

No, I am critical of Grant, because when he gets drilled head on he has this nasty habit of fumbling the ball. For the record, I despised all the interceptions Favre threw forcing things that weren't there too, but have always kept my mouth shut on that subject because of everyone's sensitivity.

Grant receives quite a bit of praise, mostly deserved, but coughing up the football seems to be something he does. Had Seattle been able to pull out that playoff game last year, how big of a goat would he have been? Would he have even been able to hold out?
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
15 years ago
Nonstop can correct me, but I have Grant at 750k base with a total LTBE of 4 million, with a total cap hit of 4.75 million. I also think that part of his LTBE is a game day roster bonus.

No signing bonus.

Correct?
Pack93z
15 years ago
Top 15 backs in the league... total Yards..

Rk 	Player            Team 	Pos 	Att 	Att/G 	Yds 	Avg 	FUM	Fumble %
1	A. Peterson 	MIN 	RB 	363	22.7	1,760	4.8	9	2.48%
2	Michael Turner 	ATL 	RB 	376	23.5	1,699	4.5	3	0.80%
3	D. Williams 	CAR 	RB 	273	17.1	1,515	5.5	0	0.00%
4	Clinton Portis 	WAS 	RB 	342	21.4	1,487	4.3	3	0.88%
5	Thomas Jones 	NYJ 	RB 	290	18.1	1,312	4.5	2	0.69%
6	Steve Slaton 	HOU 	RB 	268	16.8	1,282	4.8	2	0.75%
7	Matt Forte 	CHI 	RB 	316	19.8	1,238	3.9	1	0.32%
8	Chris Johnson 	TEN 	RB 	251	16.7	1,228	4.9	1	0.40%
9	Ryan Grant 	GB 	RB 	312	19.5	1,203	3.9	4	1.28%
10	L. Tomlinson 	SD 	RB 	292	18.2	1,110	3.8	0	0.00%
11	Brandon Jacobs 	NYG 	RB 	219	16.8	1,089	5	3	1.37%
12	Steven Jackson 	STL 	RB 	253	21.1	1,042	4.1	5	1.98%
13	Frank Gore 	SF 	RB 	240	17.1	1,036	4.3	6	2.50%
13	Marshawn Lynch 	BUF 	RB 	250	16.7	1,036	4.1	2	0.80%
15	Derrick Ward 	NYG 	RB 	182	11.4	1,025	5.6	2	1.10%

4 Fumbles all year isn't terrible..
McPack
15 years ago
Just the thought of Grant getting a MILLION AND A HALF DOLLAR BONUS for this year's performance makes my stomach turn. What these people make for playing a damn game is beginning to truly sicken me, especially in this economy.

Pardon the rant, but money issues are really hitting home with me these days. I'll lighten up after watching some bowl games.
blank
go.pack.go.
15 years ago

"DakotaT" wrote:

No, I am critical of Grant, because when he gets drilled head on he has this nasty habit of fumbling the ball. For the record, I despised all the interceptions Favre threw forcing things that weren't there too, but have always kept my mouth shut on that subject because of everyone's sensitivity.

Grant receives quite a bit of praise, mostly deserved, but coughing up the football seems to be something he does. Had Seattle been able to pull out that playoff game last year, how big of a goat would he have been? Would he have even been able to hold out?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Grant was a big part of WINNING that Seattle game...also, I'm sure there are more backs in this league that would have fumbled that ball when he got submarined against Detroit than there isn't.

4 fumbles all year isn't THAT bad. By the way, I don't hear you complaining about Deshawn Wynn's fumble...
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (2h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (17h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (17h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.