gotarace
15 years ago
I hope we don't promote him just because someone else has expressed a interest in him. If he is the assistant head coach doesn't sanders have to report to him anyhow? If that is the case he isn't the man for the job here.
Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
blueleopard
15 years ago
Good luck is all I say.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
dfosterf
15 years ago
I first wanted him fired, but due to the holiday season, complete with gift giving, I formally rescinded my pitchfork. I think it would be fair to characterize my stand on his potential loss to the Rams via a promotion as, "Not the worst thing that has happened this year." See? I'm still in a holiday mood :thumbleft:
Pack93z
15 years ago
Here is an article I found as part of my compilation of data for the Linebackers.. for those that think I have it in for Moss.. I don't in the least.. I am just not impressed with the growth of the corps..

But he sounds like the linebacking type.. surly to the press..

http://goallinefootball.com/newsblog/winston-moss-on-fast-track-to-head-coaching-job/ 

Winston Moss on Fast Track to Head Coaching Job

December 2, 2008

The list of coaches who have influenced Winston Moss reads like a list from a Hall of Fame of some sort.

Howard Schnellenberger, Jimmy Johnson, Art Shell, Jim Haslett and Dennis Erickson to name a few.

But ask Don Soldinger, who was Moss first football coach at Miamis Southridge High School, and hell say it was that schools janitor who most shaped Moss into the football player he was and now coach that he is today.

That school was like Camelot, Soldinger said. No graffiti. It was spotless, the bathrooms, the hallways. People would come from all over and say, Wow, its unbelievable. When I tell you it was Utopia, it was the one place in that community, which is a pretty rough neighborhood, where you felt good about walking to the building.

And now?

Its a mess, Soldinger said. Its a wreck.

The reason?

The schools janitor retired. That janitor was Norm Moss, Winstons father.

His dad was a champion in his own right, Soldinger said. He took a lot of pride in his work at that school, and Winston picked up on that.

Which is why it should come as no surprise to learn what some say is Winston Moss best attribute as a member of the Green Bay Packers coaching staff.

Attention to detail, Packers defensive coordinator Bob Sanders said.

Perhaps more than anyone on Mike McCarthys staff, Moss appears to be on the track toward a head coaching job. In 2007, McCarthy gave Moss the title of assistant head coach to go along with his duties as linebackers coach.

Several have parlayed the assistant head coach designation into an NFL head coaching position. The most recent was Mike Singletary, who took over the San Francisco 49ers after Mike Nolan was fired in midseason. Last offseason, the Miami Dolphins hired Tony Sparano as their head coach after he had served as the Dallas Cowboys assistant head coach.

At age 42, Moss remains relatively young as far as the coaching business goes and has yet to interview for a head coaching job, but his time seemingly will come if the Packers continue to win.

Hes a very impressive guy, Sanders said, a man of high character and has the attributes that you look for in a guy that youd like to have running your program if youre an owner.

It was no accident that Moss got into coaching after his 11-year NFL playing career ended due to a neck injury during the 1997 season. He had been planning for life after football almost from the beginning of his playing career. Perhaps the only surprise was that Moss ended up in football at all. He never played any organized football before high school.

Norm wanted him to come out for football, Soldinger said. We had him on the JV team and he was maybe 5-foot-6 and 140 pounds. He just wasnt very strong and didnt look very athletic and ran like a 5.4 (40-yard dash).

Determined to play, Moss went to work in the weight room and eventually his body caught up to his determination. He grew to 6-foot-3 and became an all-state linebacker. He started as a freshman on the University of Miamis star-studded 1983 national championship team coached by Schnellenberger. He also played for Johnson at Miami. It was during his NFL playing career with Tampa Bay (1987-90), the Raiders (1991-94) and Seattle (1995-97) that he learned from the likes of Shell, Haslett and Erickson and became sold on the idea of coaching.

Back when I was with the Raiders, I had some opportunities to call some defenses in the game and had some success with it and fell in love with it, Moss said. When I got to Seattle, the first thing I told the coaches there they were from the University of Miami so I had a relationship with them already I asked them if this was my last stop and my (playing) days are going to be over with, I want to go into coaching. So I knew long before I stopped playing that I wanted to get into coaching. So when I had my career-ending injury, the opportunity came up as a quality control (assistant with Seattle in 1998).

It was short lived because Erickson and the staff were fired after the 1998 season. Moss spent the 1999 season out of football but when Haslett was hired as the New Orleans Saints coach in 2000, he hired Moss to coach linebackers. It was in New Orleans where he met McCarthy, who was hired as Hasletts offensive coordinator. Three days after McCarthy was hired as the Packers coach in 2006, he brought Moss on board.

Moss wont deny his desire to climb in the profession.

Im preparing right now to make sure that if that opportunity does come, Ill be ready for it, Moss said. I still have a desire a strong desire to call plays and be a coordinator. So I have that as a goal. I think theres a challenge there for me, and I want to be able to see that through. Whichever happens first, if the opportunities present themselves, Im (interested in) either one.

When Moss first arrived in Green Bay, he could be surly and difficult to deal with for reporters. He appeared to disdain interviews and offered little more than short, curt answers. But when reporters returned for training camp this past summer, they noticed a sudden change in Moss. He not only appeared more comfortable in front of the media but willingly answered questions with long and thoughtful answers.

Perhaps Moss realized that part of being a head coach includes engaging in meaningful dialogue with reporters, but he wouldnt say whether someone encouraged him to change his approach or he did it on his own.

You cant control every situation, whether its a positive or a negative, whether you disagree or agree, Moss said. Ive accepted it and just gone out there and answered the questions. I think youve got to be able to communicate and regardless of whether youre feeling bad or feeling good, whether youre in agreement or disagreement, youve got to be able to communicate to not only convey how youre feeling but also be able to understand the relationships or the dynamics between the media and the organization.

Yes, I do want to be a head coach and if I want to do it well, Im going to have to be able to communicate.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Cheesey
15 years ago

I first wanted him fired, but due to the holiday season, complete with gift giving, I formally rescinded my pitchfork. I think it would be fair to characterize my stand on his potential loss to the Rams via a promotion as, "Not the worst thing that has happened this year." See? I'm still in a holiday mood :thumbleft:

"dfosterf" wrote:

Not me..........my "holiday mood" officially retired today.
The only mood i have left is VERY VERY VERY bad.
UserPostedImage
gotarace
15 years ago

"Cheesey" wrote:

Not me..........my "holiday mood" officially retired today.
The only mood i have left is VERY VERY VERY bad.

"dfosterf" wrote:

Oh no the Chesse has gone bad...there goes having nachos today.
Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
I don't think our Cheesey is runny, thank you very much. I think he's more of a brick.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
I think the Rams should hire Winston Moss. Maybe Bob Sanders sucked a little bit this year because he felt Moss was looking over his shoulder? Or maybe with Moss gone, we'll lose Sanders and get someone more gooder. 🙂
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago
This morning on Mike & Mike.. they reported that Moss is sitting down with Al Davis this weekend about the Raiders job.. Interesting considering the Lionel has been reportedly offered the secondary job out there.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
15 years ago
More...

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/37317889.html 

Green Bay - Winston Moss, the Green Bay Packers' assistant head coach and linebackers coach, is poised for his second head-coaching interview in a week.

A National Football League club source on Thursday said Moss would be interviewed in person by owner Al Davis of the Oakland Raiders, probably this weekend. Moss was interviewed by the St. Louis Rams on Saturday.

Meanwhile, Packers coach Mike McCarthy interviewed former San Francisco 49ers coach Mike Nolan in Green Bay for the defensive coordinator's job. Nolan was the first candidate in the door to discuss the opening created when Bob Sanders was fired Sunday.

McCarthy's interest in Nolan is well-documented. Nolan hired McCarthy as his offensive coordinator shortly after he was named the 49ers' head coach in 2005. McCarthy left a year later for the job in Green Bay.

Nolan, 49, is a very strong candidate who appears to have the inside track based on his relationship with McCarthy, but he is not considered a lock for the position.

McCarthy still is trying to set up an interview with former Jacksonville defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who was in New Orleans interviewing for the Saints' open position.

McCarthy would like to interview Williams soon, probably before the weekend is over, so he can make a decision about a job offer. Or he might wait to interview an assistant once his team is eliminated from the playoffs.

When Moss speaks with Davis, it will be a reunion of sorts. Moss played linebacker for the Raiders from 1991-'94 under coach Art Shell.

It appears as if Davis is going to make interim head coach Tom Cable his permanent coach, maybe early next week. Cable went 4-8 after replacing Lane Kiffin.

But NFL teams must comply with the Rooney Rule, which requires teams making a change of head coaches to interview at least one minority candidate.

Davis, 79, has been having health issues and wasn't able to work from the office until Wednesday, when he officially interviewed Cable. On Saturday, Davis spoke by telephone with offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride of the New York Giants for 90 minutes in what the Raiders described as a conversation, not an interview.

Last weekend, the 43-year-old Moss, who has been an NFL position coach for 10 years, interviewed with Rams general manager Billy Devaney in St. Louis.

"I talked to the people at the Rams," the NFL club source said. "Even Winston admitted he wasn't ready to be a head coach. They started asking him questions about defense and he wasn't very good with it. He said, 'I think I'd just hire coordinators. I'd be the motivator.' "

It's possible Moss might find it hard to remain on McCarthy's staff if Nolan, Williams or someone else is named coordinator instead of him. However, Moss probably is much more highly paid than a position coach because of his assistant head coach's title.

In the meantime, the Packers will have another berth on their staff to fill after McCarthy fired yet another coach. This time it was Ty Knott, the offensive quality control coach and the first member of the offensive staff to go.

Knott, 43, coached alongside McCarthy for two years in New Orleans before joining his staff in 2006.

Of the 20 assistant coaches listed by the Packers, McCarthy has fired seven and from appearances convinced another, Mike Stock, that it would be best if he retired.

Lionel Washington, one of the team's secondary coaches for the last decade before being canned Monday, has talked to Davis this week about a job in Oakland, according to a source. Washington played cornerback for the Raiders from 1987-'94.

McCarthy appears in no hurry to replace Stock on special teams. However, it doesn't appear as if Shawn Slocum, Stock's assistant for three years, is going to get the job.

Slocum, 43, has told people he'd like to coach a position on defense. One NFL special-teams coach said it was his understanding that Slocum would be realigned to a berth on defense.

Slocum coached linebackers and special teams at Texas A&M from 1994-'97, inside linebackers and special teams at Southern California from 1998-'99 and the secondary and special teams back at Texas A&M from 2000-'02. Oakland's Shane Lechler, an all-time great punter, was tutored by Slocum from 1995-'97.

He also served as assistant head coach and linebackers coach at Mississippi in 2005.

The Packers also are beginning interviews with position coaches. They have one scheduled with Bill Johnson, who coached the defensive line in Atlanta (2001-'06) and Denver (2007-'08).