15 years ago
Rock was let go?? NOoooooooooo!!! Just because they can't stretch their hammies properly doesn't mean his core strength program wasn't working.
UserPostedImage
IronMan
zombieslayer
15 years ago

It has been officially announced on Packers.com

One new note.. Rock was let go.. not a surprise with the number of injuries on this club.

The Green Bay Packers have released six assistant coaches, Head Coach Mike McCarthy announced Monday morning. Those released are Defensive Coordinator Bob Sanders, Defensive Ends Coach Carl Hairston, Defensive Tackles Coach Robert Nunn, Secondary Coach Kurt Schottenheimer, Defensive Nickel Package/Cornerbacks Coach Lionel Washington and Strength & Conditioning Coordinator Rock Gullickson.

"These are difficult decisions," McCarthy said. "I hold each of these men in high regard on a personal level, and I want thank them for their service to the Green Bay Packers."

"pack93z" wrote:

Kurt Schottenheimer's gone? LOL. I'm waiting for an email back from Mike with an apology or else I'll send another 100 emails saying "I told you so."
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡น ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฒ ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ท
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago
I'm shocked by the moves, Sanders I can understand, heck even the DE/DT coaches I can understand. But Wasington and Scott too?

Talk about total accountability. Wow.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago

I'm shocked by the moves, Sanders I can understand, heck even the DE/DT coaches I can understand. But Wasington and Scott too?

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

Count me in as surprised as well. And a little confused as to why Moss didn't get the axe - it could be argued that Washington and Schott did a far better job with their guys than he did.

Perhaps the suggestion that he's being retained to help his chances at the STL job is true - I hope so.
blank
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago
This move reeks of one thing: Mike McCarthy is deciding to switch philosophies on the Defensive side of the ball.

That's huge. It's the fourth year of his program, and switching defensive philosophies is a very bold statement.

It's essentially going back to the square one, and re-tooling. That shouldn't be happening in year 4, and Mike McCarthy needs to take some of the blame for that.

IMO, when it is all said and done (with regards to staff firings and new hirings), Mike McCarthy will need 2-3 threes to see the fruits of his labour. That is to say it will take 2-3 years for the Packers to truly excel at any new scheme installed.

That's a bold step, considering Mike McCarthy may not get more than one year.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
4PackGirl
15 years ago
wow! good to know somebody had the cajones to make the decision. now here's to getting the best defensive staff we can...PLEASE let us get a decent one at least. ๐Ÿ˜‰
yooperfan
15 years ago

wow! good to know somebody had the cajones to make the decision. now here's to getting the best defensive staff we can...PLEASE let us get a decent one at least. ;)

"4PackGirl" wrote:

You just never know.
It could get worse before it gets better.

It had to be done none the less.

We can only hope it all works out.
warhawk
15 years ago

So much for the couple of people adamant that Mike McCarthy was too much of a nice guy to fire his close personal friends, eh?

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

I think the bottom line is you put these guys together as pieces of a whole. People that compliment what others do and whose thinking is closely aligned.
My guess is once McCarthy felt it was time for Sanders to go you are better off letting the new DC pick and choose from there rather than try to fit a guy here or there and what they do into the new DC's scheme.

I believe that McCarthy is basically a fierce loyalist but I wonder if Sanders was his fist pick back when he was hired or the smart pick? If you remember Sanders was given the job by McCarthy so that they would not have to overhaul the defense AGAIN.

Before Sanders was Bates and before Bates was that idiot that rushed eight guys all the time and before him was Donetell. McCarthy was going to run the offense his way so he felt continuity on defense with Sanders running Bates system without a lot of changes was best AT THAT TIME.

Obviously a change is necessary because the defense just never improved and while it may have been smart to keep Sanders and the defense that was there intact to create continuity then it's definately time to move on now.

Whoever it is just cut our LB's loose baby. Let them get out there and hit people! Way to much thinking going on for me.
"The train is leaving the station."
djcubez
15 years ago
Eek, didn't anyone see we got rid of Rock too? I kind of always liked him but I guess after all the injuries we had...
Fan Shout
dfosterf (15h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (15h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : โ€œWeโ€™re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.โ€
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#ร—k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. ๐Ÿ˜
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright ยฉ 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.comโ„ข. All Rights Reserved.