dfosterf
15 years ago
Collectors item---I copied/pasted, instead of linked...obvious reason being that it will change when hires occur. This was a record number of firings, wasn't it?

GBP Official website, Coaching Staff:

"Coaches

If you are looking for a coach from years past, check out the all-time coaches database.

Head Coach

* Mike McCarthy
* Winston Moss - Assistant Head Coach/Linebackers

Offensive Coaches

* Joe Philbin - Offensive Coordinator
* Edgar Bennett - Running Backs
* James Campen - Offensive Line
* Tom Clements - Quarterbacks
* Jerry Fontenot - Assistant Offensive Line
* Ty Knott - Offensive Quality Control
* Ben McAdoo - Tight Ends
* Jimmy Robinson - Wide Receivers

Defensive Coaches

* Joe Whitt Jr. - Defensive Quality Control

Special Teams Coaches

* Shawn Slocum - Assistant Special Teams

Strength & Conditioning Staff

* Mark Lovat - Assistant Strength & Conditioning
* Mondray Gee - Strength & Conditioning Assistant"
longtimefan
15 years ago
National Football post on the Packers firings 

Michael Lombardi

Based on the number of emails in my in-box, there appears to be tremendous interest in the Packers. Heading into this season, the Packers had the look of a very talented defense. They had some young defensive linemen and some very talented coverage men, and they also had an offense that could complement their defense. They were coming off a tough loss to the Giants, but as I have written numerous times, they needed to expand their package and have the versatility to play some zone when the match-ups in man-to-man did not favor their personnel.

However, they made mistakes last off-season and none of them had to do with Brett Favre.

They refused to pay Corey Williams, who played so well in 07 that the Packers designated him their franchise player and then traded him for a second-round pick. They selected quarterback Brian Brohm with the pick and counted on Justin Harrell to step into Williams role.

Now, you must understand that to run the Packers defensive scheme, you have to dominate in the defensive line. This scheme is not based on creativity but rather on forcing the quarterback to feel pressure in every aspect of his play forcing him to make tight throws into tight windows and be very accurate.

It requires the team to have a middle linebacker who can play pass first, and it wants to utilize seven-man fronts and hold up against the run. To defeat this scheme, the opponent must be talented in the offensive line and at wide receiver.

So with that as a backdrop, the Packers lost one of their best defensive linemen in Cullen Jenkins, and after trading Williams, they could not get any production from Harrell, making their once-dominating defensive line very blockable.

Then they lost their starting Mike backer, Nick Barnett; their best coverage man, Al Harris, for an extended period; and their strong safety, Atari Bigby. The result: They could not compensate for all the injuries.

Injuries are never an excuse for a team, but in the case of the Packers, I really do not feel Bob Sanders would be in the unemployment line had these not occurred.

This is the same man who was part of a 13-win season in 07. The factors that cost them their jobs had more to do with injuries than Sanders lack of talent as a coach.

Where do the Packers go from here? Well, they have drafted and procured talent to fit this scheme. In addition, most of the players in their defensive backfield are only suited for this kind of defense.

If they change the scheme, they will have to change some of the players, and this may result in some tough transitional times. They can stay with the scheme and enhance it with new ideas built around their base defense expand and add more defensive lineman to help get their defense back to the 07 level.

If I were with the Packers, I would make sure we placed a higher importance on getting more defensive lineman and would never let a young one walk out of the building when it looked like he might be a great player in the league. No matter what direction the Packers choose, they must get some defensive linemen who can dominate.

My guess is that Winston Moss will be the new coordinator.

He can help in the transitional phase since he is remaining on the staff, and I doubt very strongly he is going to want to work with a new coach and new scheme.

Keeping Moss tells me the Packers may interview others, but they will end up hiring him. Why keep Moss if you are bringing in another coach?

Mike Nolan would help enhance the scheme, but his idea of how to play defense and the Moss idea are slightly different. Not that either is wrong; its just that both are different in their approaches.

Moss is a very good young coach who is interviewing for head coaching jobs and feels his time is now.

warhawk
15 years ago
The problem with this defense as I see it is the difficulty in securing the number of players that you need depth wise to run it.

Look at last year. An unusual number of good quality DL.
Record: 13-3.

This year. One guy leaves, one goes down, two (Harrell and KGB) don't show up. 6-10.

When it's essential to rotate players in and out of the DL I just wonder if we can expect to get the quality of play from these guys that the defense has to have to be effective.

High quality DL are not easy to come by and even harder to hold onto. What happens with a guy like Williams goes on all the time. The guy improves greatly, his contract comes up, he wants big bucks.

So what we need, which is depth, becomes very hard to keep. You develope a good young DL in a backup role and all of a sudden his contract is up and he can get starters pay somewhere else. You can't pay eight or nine guys starter salaries but it looks like we would have to in order for the defense to function properly.
"The train is leaving the station."
Pack93z
15 years ago

The problem with this defense as I see it is the difficulty in securing the number of players that you need depth wise to run it.

Look at last year. An unusual number of good quality DL.
Record: 13-3.

This year. One guy leaves, one goes down, two (Harrell and KGB) don't show up. 6-10.

When it's essential to rotate players in and out of the DL I just wonder if we can expect to get the quality of play from these guys that the defense has to have to be effective.

High quality DL are not easy to come by and even harder to hold onto. What happens with a guy like Williams goes on all the time. The guy improves greatly, his contract comes up, he wants big bucks.

So what we need, which is depth, becomes very hard to keep. You develope a good young DL in a backup role and all of a sudden his contract is up and he can get starters pay somewhere else. You can't pay eight or nine guys starter salaries but it looks like we would have to in order for the defense to function properly.

"warhawk" wrote:

Exactly.. that is why one could look at the final roster makeup, and say why so short staffed along the Dline?

The Williams decision wasn't a horrible one standing alone.. but it was amplified when Harrell did what he normally has done.. nothing but injured.

It was a mistake not to fill another spot or two with a couple of DT's.. maybe a veteran like Tripplett that could slide up and down the line.. but that is crying over spilled milk at this point.

Order of business.. and relatively quickly to give the scouts time to start developing a candidate list for the next defensive scheme.. both Free Agents and Rooks... is to select a DC, adopt a scheme and fill out the assistants on that staff.. so that the scouts list can be reviewed with the defensive staff for guys that fit the mold of the defense for depth and impact players alike..

This on top of identifying some help along the oline.. this scouting staff and GM have a mountains worth of work to get done in the next 60 to 90 days..

Each day the doors close without a DC in place, is making the mountain ascent that much steeper.. get it done boys.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
15 years ago
Longtime - Nice find from Lombardi. Agreed with most of it, especially the big mistake to let go of Williams and expect Harrell to fill that role. Huge mistake.

If I were with the Packers, I would make sure we placed a higher importance on getting more defensive lineman and would never let a young one walk out of the building when it looked like he might be a great player in the league. No matter what direction the Packers choose, they must get some defensive linemen who can dominate.

Yes. This needs to be offseason priority numero uno.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
15 years ago
What's cool is that improving the DL is actually doable this offseason, IMO.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
15 years ago

Longtime - Nice find from Lombardi. Agreed with most of it, especially the big mistake to let go of Williams and expect Harrell to fill that role. Huge mistake.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Yes. This needs to be offseason priority numero uno.

I agree..

I didnt like the whole Brett thing this past season, but I firmly believe that depending on Justin to replace Corey truly backfired and that lays on Teds shoulders

If you notice the only key additionsin Ted's entire time here, has been on the defense...

So I fully expect that the D will be #1 priority to fix it and fix it right
buckeyepackfan
15 years ago

Fall guys for Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy,plain and simple. I relish the day both those guys are unemployed

"Rockmolder" wrote:

:thumbright:

One more Year!!!! One More year!!!! :icon_smile: :icon_smile:

It's gonna take that long to realize that "playing not to lose games" only breeds losing.

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

Yay! My favorite team is going to suck, and then I can say I was right about something on the internet!

Awesome, dude.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

Ye, That seems to be the biggest problem. All they do is bash, yet, they don't support there arguments.

You guys should make a thread why Ted Thompson and Mike are so horrible in a non-shouting way or so, so we can see why they should go.

Anyway, with that article it seems more and more like Moss will become the DC though. Question is, will that create alot of changes? I mean, Moss doesn't agree with Sanders' scheme, but won't they still have a quite smilair coaching method and to a certain extend scheme? As they worked together for a while now. I guess we'll see later on.

EDIT: What happend to the picture with that cool guy on it, ILikeThePackers? :cyclopsani:

"dd80forever" wrote:

The Packers went from 14-4 to 6-10, all we heard every week was that there were problems, and they could be fixed.
Yet every week the same ole' same ole' happened.
Either The Pack got off to a good start or they came back from a deficit only to go into a defensive mode trying not to lose. Every week we usually lost those games.

Now I am sorry if some of you can't take a little sarcasm, with a hint of the truth.
Someone tell me how many more :500 season or below will you put up with until reality sets in and you realize changes are needed from the top down?
I'll say it again Mike Sherman was 20+ games over :500 his 1st four years as GM(his middle 4 years) when he was fired, what makes Ted Thompson so untouchable? Ted Thompson has had it easy, his first 2 years anything bad was still being blamed on Mike Sherman, his 3rd year, great year 14-4, then he decides to go in a diferent direction with the QB, cut other veterans to make the team younger, and it all came back to bite him in the a---.
So IMHO and I think there are quite a few more who think this way...Ted you have 1 more year to get things back on track(and I don't mean 8-8), or you can get the hell out of Dodge and take Mike McCarthy with you.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
15 years ago

Someone tell me how many more :500 season or below will you put up with until reality sets in and you realize changes are needed from the top down?

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

I try not to be so knee-jerk reactionary as a fan. I don't just look at the record, but the direction I feel the team is going and the things that led to whatever record they had. And frankly, how much I like the team plays a huge role. I happen to like a LOT of the players on the team now, and I've liked McCarthy about 85% of the time, and Ted Thompson about 95% of the time. A 6-10 record with the issues that we had this past year is not enough to make me despise any person on the team.

Ted Thompson has had it easy, his first 2 years anything bad was still being blamed on Mike Sherman, his 3rd year, great year 14-4, then he decides to go in a diferent direction with the QB, cut other veterans to make the team younger, and it all came back to bite him in the a---.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

You act like that's some illogical phenomenon that happened. "The GM for some reason wasn't blamed for how gutted the team was that he inherited." Everyone knew that the team was aging and pressing the salary cap in a BAD way when Thompson took over. Do you deny this? We were actually OVER the salary cap. People were expecting a pretty significant period of rebuilding. Rival fans were relishing it, actually. The roller coaster ride we've had over the past few seasons merely reflects the newness of this rebuilt team in a league with so much parity. There are numerous signs that our rebuilt and therefore incredibly young team CAN compete against the best in the league already, though.

So IMHO and I think there are quite a few more who think this way...Ted you have 1 more year to get things back on track(and I don't mean 8-8), or you can get the hell out of Dodge and take Mike McCarthy with you.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

That's fine. And I will be the first to slap you all silly verbally if that day comes and the replacement GM makes incredibly boneheaded moves on a day to day basis, so that we pine for the days when all we had to bitch about was one oft-injured first round pick.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
15 years ago

Fall guys for Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy,plain and simple. I relish the day both those guys are unemployed

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

:thumbright:

One more Year!!!! One More year!!!! :icon_smile: :icon_smile:

It's gonna take that long to realize that "playing not to lose games" only breeds losing.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Yay! My favorite team is going to suck, and then I can say I was right about something on the internet!

Awesome, dude.

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

Ye, That seems to be the biggest problem. All they do is bash, yet, they don't support there arguments.

You guys should make a thread why Ted Thompson and Mike are so horrible in a non-shouting way or so, so we can see why they should go.

Anyway, with that article it seems more and more like Moss will become the DC though. Question is, will that create alot of changes? I mean, Moss doesn't agree with Sanders' scheme, but won't they still have a quite smilair coaching method and to a certain extend scheme? As they worked together for a while now. I guess we'll see later on.

EDIT: What happend to the picture with that cool guy on it, ILikeThePackers? :cyclopsani:

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

The Packers went from 14-4 to 6-10, all we heard every week was that there were problems, and they could be fixed.
Yet every week the same ole' same ole' happened.
Either The Pack got off to a good start or they came back from a deficit only to go into a defensive mode trying not to lose. Every week we usually lost those games.

Now I am sorry if some of you can't take a little sarcasm, with a hint of the truth.
I'll say it again Mike Sherman was 20+ games over :500 his 1st four years as GM(his middle 4 years) when he was fired, what makes Ted Thompson so untouchable?
Ted Thompson has had it easy, his first 2 years anything bad was still being blamed on Mike Sherman, his 3rd year, great year 14-4, then he decides to go in a diferent direction with the QB, cut other veterans to make the team younger, and it all came back to bite him in the a---.

"dd80forever" wrote:

Than what you really better hope for is this thing turns around and that doesn't happen OR the list of candidates better get a whole lot better fast because the list I see out there aint pretty.

If nobody here can come up with anybody better than Bill Freaking Bates whose been passed up by twenty other teams already I can tell you I will send up the taxi money to send the shlups brought up on this forum out a GB myself.

Better watch for you hope for. Not many names thrown around here have been close enough to know what 13-3 smells like let alone being capable of cooking it up.
"The train is leaving the station."
Fan Shout
beast (3h) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (3h) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (3h) : fuck
beast (4h) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (4h) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (4h) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (4h) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (4h) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (4h) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (4h) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (4h) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (5h) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (6h) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (6h) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (6h) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (6h) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (6h) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
27m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

27m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.