Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
I voted for bringing in competition, but if the NFL doesn't lift the 80-man-roster restriction this offseason, I'm not sure how much competition will actually be brought in.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
15 years ago

I voted for bringing in competition, but if the NFL doesn't lift the 80-man-roster restriction this offseason, I'm not sure how much competition will actually be brought in.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

You need the NFL Europe back. :p

Anyway, I'm ok with these guys. The problem is, they're both promising guys who had flashes of brilliance, especially Bigby at the end of the 2007 season. You can't possibly replace them by a really high paid long term guy and they're to good to be replaced by a random 1 year signing.

I'm all for bringing in competition, but Bigby will walk away with the starting spot anyway, I'm afraid. Might push him a little harder in training camp though.
warhawk
15 years ago

I think some guys here are throwing these guys under the bus without looking at the reality of what happened this season that was much different from last year.

In '07 our sack and QB pressures numbers were outstanding and in '08 they were absolutely horrible. When an NFL QB is allowed to stand back there with nobody in his face it's like throwing darts.

I saw way to many plays where the QB was allowed to sit in the pocket and deliver a deep ball accurately without any pressure and there is just no way a Safety can cover that.

Put these two behind even a decent pass rush and see what they do.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Bingo!
You nailed this one on the head. Why the big drop off for '08 when they were both showing large amounts of promise in '07?

You give ANY starting QB in the NFL 5 to 6 seconds in the pocket and he's going to look good.

Now, when your opposing QB is worried someone will blind side him in 3 seconds (which when you're playing the '08 Packers, that's not even a remote concern)....

I think the problems start with our front four.

"warhawk" wrote:

Until this happens and we get reasonable pressure on the QB I don't know how you can evaluate these guys. Add to that Bigby was obviously restricted by his injury and we all saw the difference in his mobility because of it. It also affected his ability to lay the wood like we know he can as well.

Look at the difference in who was playing in front of Dawkins and Leonard and tell me what they would have done this year in our defensive backfield. I felt bad for our guys back there this year. I would watch the QB have all day and before looking downfield when they would be letting it go I KNEW somebody down there was going to be open. I don't care who it is it's just not possible to stay with guys that can run like that for that long.
"The train is leaving the station."
Bigbyfan
15 years ago
I feel obligated to say something.... I believe in Bigby, he is the tough, hard hitter we need in our defense. He is an intimidator for WRs going across the middle. I feel that with experience, he will become a very good safety.

I bet none of you woulda guessed I supported Bigby 🙂
blank
go.pack.go.
15 years ago
Nope, I had NO idea that you supported Bigby, Bigbyfan....haha!

I support both of them, just give them next year with a hopefully better D-Line.
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago
I voted the first option, I really do believe that Atari is a good enough option at SS when healthy.

I understand some people who have concerns with Atari in coverage, but I for one don't share them a whole lot. From what I remember, in 07 Atari was in position to make plays in coverage (like break passes) but he didn't. I don't immediately recall any glaring play where I was sure Atari couldn't have covered the player to save his life. I think it's a matter of Atari needing more seasoning to realize that instead of trying to push a player down after a catch, he should try and go after his hands to force the incompletion. I think Atari just needs some time to calm down on the field, and just pick up the little nuances of being an effective player in coverage. Being friends with someone like Al, I'm sure Atari will understand the smaller details of effective coverage sooner rather than later.

What I like most about Atari is that he is a dependable Safety. If Leroy Butler is to be believed, the loss of our "sure" safety in Atari led to a loss of confidence by all the DBs. Makes sense, you want to have a S that you know is assignment sure and tackle sure. In 07 Atari was both.

If you look near the halfway point of last season (week 6-7) then you'll see Atari was on pace to record over 100 tackles, have 4 FF and 2-3 sacks.

Those are pro-bowl type stats, and I think it's fair to say Atari played at an all-pro level in parts of his first year starting. What I liked most of all about Atari was that he showed late in the season that he was starting to understand that you could be aggressive on the field without resorting to taunting players, talking trash, etc. (not to say there isn't a time and place for it during games)

We'll be fine at the position IMO assuming Atari stays healthy. That's not a given though, so I'd love to have some more competition at the position, preferably a vet.

On a related note, I'm intrigued as to what packages could be created with a healthy Atari, Nick Collins, and Rouse. A 3 Safety package would be really neat, and considering Nick's speed and Atari's propensity to be an effective blitzer that showed in the 07 pre-season, some interesting possibilities may lie in a 3 Safety package...
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
gbpfan
15 years ago
I like Atrari his health is a concern,but if healthy very good player just feel it doesn't hurt, to have competition,but with new d-line and new strength coordinator things will improve.
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago
So let's see... through the course of the various conversations, some folks would like to see turnover at:

D-Line
Linebackers
Safety
O-Line
Tight End
Running Back

Is there a part of this team that people like? :crazy:

And where do we expect to get the money to turn all these positions over?

Before anyone gets cranky, I get it - it's the offseason after a disappointing year, we're all sitting and waiting for IndecisionGate09 to play out, and people are just throwing darts. Still, while I might enjoy having the best players in the league at every position as much as anyone else, I think some people are looking for gaps in positions where I just can't buy that gaps truly exist.

I still really think that chucking guys like Rouse and Bigby under the bus after one bummer of a season is hasty stuff - I wouldn't be at all surprised to see both take big steps next year, and I do NOT want them to be doing that for another team.
blank
zombieslayer
15 years ago

So let's see... through the course of the various conversations, some folks would like to see turnover at:

D-Line
Linebackers
Safety
O-Line
Tight End
Running Back

Is there a part of this team that people like? :crazy:

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

Yeah.

Wide Receivers
Starting QB
Cornerbacks
Cheerleaders
Bikini Girls

So we're solid at five.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
I heard the Bikini Girls were unrestricted free agents after this season. Where are we doing to come up with enough guaranteed money for THEM?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (15h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (15h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (17h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (18h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (21h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (22h) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
24m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16h / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.