all_about_da_packers
15 years ago

In particular, I imagine that part of the discussion almost had to involve Mike leaving the defense to Capers and staying out of his way in that sense - and IMO that's a crucial piece to this process, especially if you're dealing with a guy who's as experienced as Capers is.

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

I agree, but I think it was important for Mike to realize what exactly Capers' scheme, tendencies, philosophies, etc. were before hiring him.

I'm sure Mike McCarthy wanted to know that he and Capers were on the same page going forward, so that Mike McCarthy could feel comfortable leaving Capers in charge of the defensive side of the ball.

For someone like McCarthy who loves scheme development year to year, Capers vast depth of knowledge will be invaluable on defensive scheme progressions.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Since69
15 years ago

Peppers and Suggs would be even better.

3-4

Kampman, Pickett, Jenkins
Suggs, Nick Barnett, Aj Hawk, Peppers.

4-3

Kampman, Picket, Jenkins, Peppers
Suggs, Barnett, Chillar/Hawk.

"Packnic" wrote:

I think I just soiled myself...
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
Does anyone else get that "Fritz" type vibe off this hire..

Younger offensive oriented Head Coach teaming with a skilled aging defensive mind at the helm on defense..

To my knowledge Dom never invented a defensive alignment like Fritz did with the "Big Nickle".. but he has been successful in his stops just the same.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago

In particular, I imagine that part of the discussion almost had to involve Mike leaving the defense to Capers and staying out of his way in that sense - and IMO that's a crucial piece to this process, especially if you're dealing with a guy who's as experienced as Capers is.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

I agree, but I think it was important for Mike to realize what exactly Capers' scheme, tendencies, philosophies, etc. were before hiring him.

I'm sure Mike McCarthy wanted to know that he and Capers were on the same page going forward, so that Mike McCarthy could feel comfortable leaving Capers in charge of the defensive side of the ball.

For someone like McCarthy who loves scheme development year to year, Capers vast depth of knowledge will be invaluable on defensive scheme progressions.

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

Agreed on all counts. Hell, if I'm McCarthy I'm also grilling Capers with stuff like "Hey, if I threw this look at you, what would you do?" Having a guy w/ that much experience probably helps the offense scheme development, as well.

I like the idea of having two guys running the show - McCarthy clearly knows offense, Capers knows his D, Packers fans benefit. Obviously, McCarthy's in charge, but if he's comfortable enough to leave the defense to Capers, I like that arrangement. I'm sure McDermott's going to do a great job somewhere, but I don't see Mike being able to just hand the D over to someone who hasn't done the job before.
blank
yooperfan
15 years ago
I'm happy with the choice of Capers
I think we are already a better team than we were in week 17.
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago

To my knowledge Dom never invented a defensive alignment like Fritz did with the "Big Nickle".. but he has been successful in his stops just the same.

"pack93z" wrote:

I've been wondering if Capers might see fit to introduce a 3-3-3 package, perhaps if the team gets in the red-zone (around 15-20 yard line) and are known for throwing the ball (like the Saints).

Rouse, Bigby, Collins each have unique talent. Bigby is a hitter, and can get home on the blitz. Rouse has playmaking ability, and Collins has tremendous ability as well.

I wasn't around for the "Big Nickle" Fritz ran, but Collins also has experience playing Nickle/Dime back from his first two season in the NFL. come to think of it, isn't a 3-3-3 similar to "Big Nickle"?
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Since69
15 years ago

Going back to the 3-4 4-3 hybrid, I made a topic about it a while back, saying that it might be a good idea. If I remember correctly, nobody thought it would work. Now, it seems like a lot of people want it....haha.

Sorry if off topic, but i'm just sayin'...

"go.pack.go." wrote:

OK. I'll man up. I remember being against a hybrid 3-4/4-3. And I'll continue to be against it until I see it work well.

My reasoning, which I'll admit may be flawed, is because we've all seen the clusterf**k that resulted from the hybrid ZBS/non-ZBS we tried to get our O-line to play.

In both cases, it's two different schemes, requiring different types of players and different mindsets. It takes a very special (and rare) combination of players and coaches to make any kind of hybrid scheme worth the trouble.

Maybe Capers can make it work with the players we have (and the players we have yet to acquire), but I'm skeptical.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
15 years ago

I'm happy with the choice of Capers
I think we are already a better team than we were in week 17.

"yooperfan" wrote:

I agree.

No one probably wanted a different look than the guys on defense themselves. They played hard it just didn't get the results.

Jenkins and Barnett will be back and that will help before any other move is made.

Thompson isn't sitting on a 13-3 record with the leeway of not going out to make any big improvements. It was obvious where we were lacking and what needs to be done.

The bottom line is we needed a fresh face to run the defense and there are a couple of positions we need a fresh face to get the improvement needed. I do not, however, see any big mountain that needs to be climbed.
"The train is leaving the station."
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago

I wasn't around for the "Big Nickle" Fritz ran, but Collins also has experience playing Nickle/Dime back from his first two season in the NFL. come to think of it, isn't a 3-3-3 similar to "Big Nickle"?

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

Kind of.. 4-2-5... with a secondary player in the box or on the edge.. mainly a big nickle is used when you have a shortage or lack talent at linebacker..

I keep begging for Rouse to play that role in certain "3&5" like type plays... gives us better coverage then a back but big enough to play against the run..

A creative DC could scheme certain sets with Rouse's size and speed..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
go.pack.go.
15 years ago

Going back to the 3-4 4-3 hybrid, I made a topic about it a while back, saying that it might be a good idea. If I remember correctly, nobody thought it would work. Now, it seems like a lot of people want it....haha.

Sorry if off topic, but i'm just sayin'...

"pack93z" wrote:

Well find where I said it.. I am opposed to a DC coming in and being set hard in a particular alignment without utilizing the talent at hand.

If our talent dictates a 4 man front.. then you adjust your scheme to fit the talent at hand..

Does that mean every freaking play you have to run a 4 man front.. no.. it means you have your base "bread and butter" alignment and add the fluff to it to keep the offenses off balance.

If Dom comes in and thinks we are best suited for a base 3 man front.. so be it.. but I expect to see some 4 man fronts (4 men with their hand in the dirt) type looks as well.

Make the offense think before the snap.. that means change it up just enough where they don't know where the defense is going to be each and every play.

"go.pack.go." wrote:

I wasn't meaning anything towards you, I was just saying that IF I remember correctly, then not many people agreed with what I was saying. Now it seems like lots of people are liking that idea. I'm not trying to say that I came up with the idea or anything, because I didn't, but I just thought of it at that point in time. Anyway, no harm intended.

Carry on.
UserPostedImage