wils0646
15 years ago

Apparently there's a player (big name Free Agent) who would like to play in a Dom Capers defense... again? Anyone hear anything about this?

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Oh yes. I just don't know how Peppers would fit in a 3-4. Carolina experimented with him at the LB spot and he was average at best. He's just too big and probably doesn't have enough lateral quickness to be a LB. Of course he'd be great rushing the QB, but I don't know how well he'd be in coverage.
The Pack Will Be Back.
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Julius Peppers didn't play in a Dom Capers defense though.
UserPostedImage
wils0646
15 years ago

Julius Peppers didn't play in a Dom Capers defense though.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Correct. I'm just not sold on him being a LB. I mean, he's freaking 6'7'' 285 lbs. I know he's freak of nature, but he'd be the largest LB by far in the NFL. Here's a good article on what 2 former GMs say about him:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/panthers/story/480418.html 

Two former NFL general managers say they believe Julius Peppers is best suited for a 4-3 defense like the Carolina Panthers use and wouldn't fit as well in a 3-4 scheme.

Peppers' agent, Carl Carey, said Saturday that Peppers is ready to move to another team and has interest in playing in a 3-4 defense as he seeks to reach his full potential as a player.

Charley Casserly, former GM of the Washington Redskins and Houston Texans, and ex-Tennessee Titans GM Floyd Reese told the Observer they believe Peppers is ideally suited as a 4-3 defensive end.

I don't think he's a 3-4 player at all, Casserly said. He's a right end in a 4-3 defense. That's his best position, and that's where they played him at Carolina.

Casserly said he didn't see any reason Peppers' couldn't fully excel playing in the Panthers' 4-3.

There's nothing they didn't do to help him reach his potential, Casserly said. They lined him up at defensive end, and that's what he does. Anything he didn't achieve is his own fault.

Peppers excels at pressuring the quarterback and finished this season with a career high 141/2 sacks. In general, the top pass rushers in the 4-3 are defensive ends and are outside linebackers in the 3-4.

While Peppers, listed at 6-foot-7, 283 pounds, has the textbook size for a 4-3 end, he's 20 to 40 pounds heavier than the classic 3-4 outside linebacker.

Even though Peppers is one of the league's elite athletes and has extraordinary speed for a player his size, Reese said the transition to playing the 3-4 could be difficult.

My first thought is when you're pretty good doing one thing, a la defensive end and pass rusher in a 4-3, it's not (easy) to jump into something you're not used to doing and have the same impact in a 3-4 defense.

Reese said one of the problems of the free agency system is that it's sometimes difficult to assess how a player's skills will translate from one team's system to another's.

Carey said Peppers isn't locked into playing in a 3-4 or a 4-3, but believes he needs to move on to a new team with a new system.

Reese said he thought the Panthers' system consistently put Peppers in position to succeed.

I see him best as a space, speed rush kind of guy, and I think that's where they tried to use him, Reese said. I don't know what kind of a system he would be looking for, but I think most people would see him as a rush defensive end in a 4-3 scheme.

They tried to put him in the best spot to succeed. We've seen him be very, very successful in that system. I don't know what he would get someplace else that would make him more successful, other than maybe being on a different team with different defensive lineman around him. But that doesn't really have much to do with the scheme.

Reese also said there have been other players around the league, such as Chicago linebacker Lance Briggs and Cincinnati receiver Chad Johnson, who said they didn't want to play for their teams anymore but wound up staying.

Lance Briggs was never, ever going to put on a Chicago Bears' uniform again, and now he's probably as happy as anybody in that organization, Reese said.

Carey said Peppers continues to have a close relationship with the Panthers, but is firm in his decision to move on with his career elsewhere.

The Pack Will Be Back.
Jacob
15 years ago
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/16/packers-eye-capers-for-defensive-coordinator-job/ 

Written by Adam Schefter

As they have attempted to fill their defensive coordinator job, the Packers have brought in Mike Nolan and Gregg Williams.

Nolan took the Broncos defensive coordinator job, and Williams went to the Saints.

Now, the Packers have Patriots assistant coach Dom Capers visiting and interviewing for the job.

Which means Capers likely will land a job elsewhere.

If the Packers could hire him, Capers would be a superb addition. He has respect around the league, experience in the game and will be coaching somewhere soon. But Green Bay has struggled to close defensive coordinator deals this offseason.

Now it has another chance.

Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
What a snide tone. These press writers, always desperate for an angle, never stop to consider that maybe these candidates never actually intended to come to Green Bay, but were simply interviewing as leverage to improve their offers elsewhere.

I don't think Green Bay is having problems closing a deal. I'm not even convinced we've made serious offers to these candidates. I think Green Bay is casually playing the field at the moment.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago
do you have personal experience with journalism, nonstop? This isn't the first time you've voiced your disgust in the apparent lack of journalistic integrity of certain NFL journalists.
UserPostedImage
cooolbeans08
15 years ago
ackers reach agreement with Capers
By Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel
Jan. 18, 2009 10:20 p.m.

Pittsburgh -- Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy's new defensive coordinator will be Dom Capers.

A source familiar with the search process said Sunday night that McCarthy and Capers had reached an agreement on a new deal that would bring the longtime defensive coordinator and former head coach to Green Bay.

Capers made himself known with a 3-4 defense, but he has worked with other defenses as well and probably will employ a hybrid 3/4 - 4/3 defense. This past season, Capers was a special assistant with the New England Patriots, coaching mostly in the secondary.

Capers was the fourth of four prominent defensive coaches to interview with McCarthy. He visited Friday night and Saturday with McCarthy and then agreed to a new deal Sunday night.

Terms of the agreement are not known.

In Capers, McCarthy would be getting a coach who cut his teeth in the 3-4 system and used it consistently, sometimes with great success and other times with very little. During his three years as head coach of the Texans, his biggest failure was getting the defense established. Twice it ranked 31st in the league.

Capers, 58, has some experience running the 4-3, too, and undoubtedly picked up some wide-ranging concepts from Bill Belichick during his year with the Patriots. Part of the interview with McCarthy presumably will be to see how compatible their defensive philosophies are.

Capers got his start in the NFL in New Orleans under coach Jim Mora, moved on to become a very successful coordinator with the Pittsburgh Steelers, was head coach of the Carolina Panthers for three seasons, had two good years as defensive coordinator of the Jacksonville Jaguars under Tom Coughlin, was head coach of the Houston Texans for five years and spent two seasons as an assistant in Miami.

He had been rumored to be a candidate to replace New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, who took the St. Louis Rams job this week.
blank
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago
Er double post, see page 5 (this post on page).
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
Absolutely excellent.. Capers is here upon us.. excellent indeed..

I am glad that this little issue is closed up and the media can move elsewhere to twist a story into a precieved issue.

Not to mention that we need to nail down the DC for scheme needs and fits.. review the roster and let Ted and crew start to slot players that fit holes for the DC.. Capers if the reports are true.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wils0646
15 years ago
Awesome. I wanted someone with experience. My 2nd choice would have been McDermott, but Capers will do. He has a record of being a good d-coordinator.
The Pack Will Be Back.