dfosterf
15 years ago
In another thread, it was pointed out that the relationship between a Team Physician, the team, and the players can be somewhat complicated. Starting with the Jacksonville Jaguars upon their inception, it appears that many teams have had or have an ongoing marketing relationship with the Team Physician and their respective medical practice. One article stated that the Jaguars were paid between 1.5 and 2.0 million dollars by the physicians' in order to establish their relationship. The Collective Bargaining Agreement did address at least some of the potential for conflicts by including the option for players to seek 2nd opinions in the event of injury. It is unclear if this type of marketing agreement still exists within the NFL...see thread "Who pays who ?". There is a link to an article which strongly indicates this type of relationship, or at least a hybrid, remains.

Note that the potential for many conflicts remain. For example, obviously a team wants their player on the field, and this cannot always be in the best interest of the long-term health and/or career of the player. There is an organization within the Team Physician "community" that at least ascribes to the concept of priortizing the health of the individual player. Dr. McKenzie is the immediate past president of the organization. From their website:

"The National Football League Physicians Society

The History of the NFLPS
A number of members of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons met at the Palmer House, in Chicago, in January 1966. The purpose of the informal meeting was to discuss problems in professional football that these men, who were team physicians, were having and to develop better communications among the teams. Drs. Fred Reynolds, Clint Compere, Edmond McDonald, Joe Godfrey and James Nicholas were at the first meeting.
The Sports Medicine Committee, at that time chaired by Dr. Jack Hughston, established a liaison with this group. In February 1967, the National Academy of Science sponsored a workshop on professional football injuries. It was the first workshop of this type.
Dr. James Nicholas, of the New York Jets, was made the first President, in 1967. Dr. Fred Reynolds, who was president of the Academy, was made the second president, in 1968, followed by Dr. Joseph Godfrey of the Buffalo Bills, in 1969, and Dr. Edmond McDonald of the Baltimore Colts, in 1970. Each Academy meeting between 1967 and 1970 was the site of a program held in conjunction with the Academy, which also included a dinner for the members.
Additional members who joined at that time were Drs. Jim Funk of Atlanta, Kenneth Saer from New Orleans, and Herbert Virgin from Miami. In those days, the problems included the difficulties with trading players and the availability of their medical records. Transfer of information was very limited from club to club.
It is interesting to note that in the formation of the Society, two Academy presidents, Drs. Reynolds and Compere, and an Academy vice-president, Dr. Godfrey, were directly involved in the care of teams and also involved with setting up both the Sports Medicine Society, in 1972 and the Professional Football Physicians Association.

It was through the efforts of these men, as well as those of Dr. Hinchey, another Academy president, from whom the Committee on Sports Medicine got its stimulus.
The Society flourished as other teams were added. Currently the Society has 134 members, representing 32 teams. Many of the 134 members are leaders in the field of Sports Medicine, have academic affiliations, have contributed to the literature regarding injuries in athletics, and are involved in the education of fellows and residents in the field of Sports Medicine.
In 1970, the New York Jets instituted a procedure to bring draft choices to their club facilities for physical examination during the winter, starting with 40 players. This led to many of the teams doing the same thing and ultimately to the combined physicals in the last decade. The combined exams are held each year in Indianapolis. The NFL physicians examine 450-500 players in preparation for the draft. During this week, the physicians hold a scientific meeting in which members present information regarding injuries and medical problems common to professional football players.
The NFL Physician Society holds its annual business meeting during the week of the combined physicals. At this time, the Society addresses issues common to the membership such as controlling substance abuse problems among players, medico-legal concerns, and establishing effective liaisons with the owners and league office.
The goals of the NFL Physician Society are to constantly work toward improving the care of the professional football players and the prevention and treatment of injuries. "

Dr. Patrick McKenzie
Team Physician
UserPostedImage

Dr. Patrick McKenzie is an Oshkosh native. In addition to serving as the Green Bay Packers Team Medical Director and team Orthopedic Physician, he also serves as the Orthopedic Physician for the UW Oshkosh Titan Athletic Department.. Dr. McKenzie has a medical practice in Green Bay, WI.. Dr. McKenzie specializes in Orthopedics and Arthroscopic Surgery. Dr. McKenzie received his undergraduate degree from St. John's (MN) University, his Medical Degree from the Medical College of Wisconsin and completed his Fellowship at the American Sports Medicine Institute in Birmingham, AL. He is also the immediate past President of the NFL Team Physician Society and is a member of the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine, State Medical Society and State Orthopedic Society. Dr. McKenzie and his family reside in DePere, WI.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (12m) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (25m) : Yes
Zero2Cool (1h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (3h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (4h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (7h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (8h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (18h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14m / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.