Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

* It was very difficult decision to fire his assistants. He put a lot of time and thought into the decision. It came down to he didn't feel they were heading in the right direction. Things that occurred in Year 1 showed up again in Year 3.

I was pleased that he didn't fire his assistants the day the season ended. He gave the process a lot of time and (no doubt agonizing) thought, and he didn't make the rash move of firing everyone. In fact, he kept Moss. Whether that was a good move will obviously remain to be seen.

* The Packers' starting point will be the 3-4 formation on defense. It creates problems for the offense. The Packers will use both four-man and three-man fronts.

Looks like everyone clamoring for a hybrid defense will get their wish granted. I like this idea: it promotes flexibility and gives us more options. Plus it creates the possibility for confusing the opposing offense with our formations. I'd like to see us move toward a system similar to what the Ravens run, in which they conceal their defensive formation until just before the ball is snapped. I think that, combined with bump-n-run coverage, would give opposing quarterbacks fits.

* One of the priorities was hiring someone with defensive coordinator experience.

A solid decision in my opinion, and one which I applaud.

* Winston Moss will continue in his position as linebackers coach and assistant head coach.

As I said elsewhere, this indicates to me that McCarthy tacitly supported the mutiny against Sanders all along, but couldn't come out and say so for political and cohesion reasons. I'm looking forward to seeing how Capers and Moss work together.

* It was McCarthy's decision to fire his assistants. He kept Ted Thompson abreast of the situation, but Thompson had no problem changing to the 3-4.

Screw all the trolls who say that McCarthy is nothing more than a Thompson puppet. I've never believed that for a moment.

* It's important for Slocum to put his blueprint on the job.

I see McCarthy's encouraging of independence in his staff as a positive. This is probably one of the reasons why Moss was retained -- he showed a pronounced independent streak last season, yet was enough of a team player to go along with Sanders' system when he was overruled. I respect a coach who retains staff who have the the courage to express their honest opinions yet also follow orders.

Neither McCarthy nor Thompson are assembling a staff of sycophants, which can only benefit the team in the long run.

* Capers is the best fit for the organization, although he didn't answer whether he offered the job to someone else first.

A) This is no one's business (unnecessarily gives away strategic info); and 😎 even if it were, to admit to offering the position elsewhere would not only weaken Green Bay's standing, it would also make Capers look like he was a choice of last resort and risk alienating him -- which is the last thing McCarthy wants to do.

* A change in direction in the program was needed and he doesn't see it as an act of desperation to fire so many assistants.

I agree. If he had fired everyone, I might be inclined to view it differently, but Capers has the chance to hand-pick his staff now.

Overall, I think we got the press conference we expected out of McCarthy. No earth-shaking revelations, no significant retractions.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago
The 3-4 announcement will start to make the other clubs in the North take notice.. they will have to account for playing a 3-4 twice a year now..

Could it be a ruse of sorts?
Mike McCarthy said the starting point will be a 3-4.. but 4 down isn't ruled out..

We are going to see a unique defense come next season.. I think as long as Capers and company can get the staff to teach the responsibilities well and the player can absorb them, we will have fun watching this team play defense again in the box.

Can we fast forward to next September?
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

Could it be a ruse of sorts?

"pack93z" wrote:

It will certainly make teams question how valuable watching game tape on this defense will be. 😃
UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
15 years ago
I think they are going after Peppers.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Rockmolder
15 years ago

Can we fast forward to next September?

"pack93z" wrote:

I second that.

This 3-4, 4-3 hybrid already got me pumped up for next season. Ofcourse it won't be a Ravens-like defense (in the first year), but at least we can get some creative blitzing etc.

PS. By Ravens defense I mean the moving etc. Not the skill level.
Dulak
15 years ago

I think they are going after Peppers.

"RaiderPride" wrote:

Would be nice - but where would peppers play in a 3-4? It's said in a 3-4 the LBs are the ones that rush the passer. And the Upfront D are there to 'stuff' the run ie not so much as rushing the passer.

They going to try to fit peppers a 285 pound guy as a linebacker?

What about NT - whose going to play that position; pretty important position in a 3-4.

I'm curious how we are going to get our D to a 3-4 with the people we have and those we might grab.

IMO our LBs can fill the roll in a 3-4 but who we going to use as the 3 upfront D. Jenkins, pickett and jolly? whats up with Harrell he going to do anything next year? IMO kampman is too light for a upfront D in a 3-4

Saw this article linked elsewhere
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/panthers/story/480418.html 
talks about peppers in a 4-3 over a 3-4

my first post so have lots of questions 🙂
porky88
15 years ago
Well I gave an outline of a 3-4 in a previous post when the specuation started and my guess is this is what the defense looks like

DE Johnny Jolly
DT Ryan Pickett
DE Cullen Jenkins
OLB Aaron Kampman
MLB Nick Barnett
ILB A.J. Hawk
OLB Brady Poppinga

Secondary is basically the same although I think Al Harris could be dealt because the Packers will likley play more zone.

I think the biggest need is the outside pass rushing linebacker which can be addressed via the draft. Three hybrid players are top ten caliber picks and they're Brian Orakpo, Aaron Maybin, and Everette Brown.

Another need I think is at nose tackle. They need depth. B.J. Raji is a first round caliber player who will be looked at, but honestly it's not a deep draft for that position so they may have to use a rotation of Pickett, Harrell, and Jolly. I think both Harrell and Jolly can play both NT and DE in the 3-4, but obviously both might be unreliable due to other factors.

A DE that would look good in the 3-4 via the draft is Tyson Jackson of LSU.

We all know the obvious free agents, but based on what Mike McCarthy said, sounds like more of the same in free agency so they'll be going defense heavy in the draft in my opinion. They got too.
Dulak
15 years ago

Well I gave an outline of a 3-4 in a previous post when the specuation started and my guess is this is what the defense looks like

DE Johnny Jolly
DT Ryan Pickett
DE Cullen Jenkins
OLB Aaron Kampman
MLB Nick Barnett
ILB A.J. Hawk
OLB Brady Poppinga

Secondary is basically the same although I think Al Harris could be dealt because the Packers will likley play more zone.

I think the biggest need is the outside pass rushing linebacker which can be addressed via the draft. Three hybrid players are top ten caliber picks and they're Brian Orakpo, Aaron Maybin, and Everette Brown.

Another need I think is at nose tackle. They need depth. B.J. Raji is a first round caliber player who will be looked at, but honestly it's not a deep draft for that position so they may have to use a rotation of Pickett, Harrell, and Jolly. I think both Harrell and Jolly can play both NT and DE in the 3-4, but obviously both might be unreliable due to other factors.

A DE that would look good in the 3-4 via the draft is Tyson Jackson of LSU.

We all know the obvious free agents, but based on what Mike McCarthy said, sounds like more of the same in free agency so they'll be going defense heavy in the draft in my opinion. They got too.

"porky88" wrote:

nice write up ...

I hope they dont change our secondary that much - I prefer them to stick to man2man coverage . IMO our secondary did great this year (considering the lack of pressure on the opposing QB)
bozz_2006
15 years ago
Porky, I agree with your assessment for the most part. but when it comes to drafting and free agency, i don't think we'll ever hear anything except smokescreens during a press conference. If mccarthy says, "Hell yeah, we have lots of money and we're gonna go all in during free agency", I think that would be counter-productive to possible free agent negotiations.
UserPostedImage
jdog2
15 years ago
I kind of want Al Harris to be dealt this off season. He is good, but he is terribly overratted. I think Tramon can get the job done and Lee I feel will have a bigger role in the defense.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (11h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (11h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (11h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (12h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (13h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.