porky88
15 years ago
I said before I don't think he's a good fit and I disagree with Mike McCarthy's evaluation of Aaron Kampman. He's the best defensive player on the Packers front seven and your kind of handicapping him in the 3-4 in my opinion, but if one player on this team can pull it off and maintain his level of play, it's Aaron Kampman.
Dulak
15 years ago

Along with most on this board, I didn't think Kampman had a place in a 3-4 defense. Too small for DE; too slow for OLB. Well, Kampman is listed at 265 and a quick look over other OLBs in a 3-4 shows that many of the OLBs that line up over the RT, as Kampman would, are in the 260-270 range. That includes Lamar Woodley, Greg Ellis, Matt Roth, Johnson in Baltimore, some guy in SF (don't remeber his name), Willie McGinest, and Mike Vrabel, Adelius Thomas, and others. That group of guys doesn't strike me as a freakishly athletic bunch.

Who knows? Maybe Kampman can pull it off. At this point I'm inclined to trust the judgement of Dom Capers.

Thoughts?

"HoustonMatt" wrote:

ya Im wondering where Kampman's roll will be in a 3-4 and people talked about signing Peppers. His roll also. He's more of a 4-3 guy.

Just as long as we dont use our main draft on some upfront D man that doesnt do anything
Rios39
15 years ago

I said before I don't think he's a good fit and I disagree with Mike McCarthy's evaluation of Aaron Kampman. He's the best defensive player on the Packers front seven and your kind of handicapping him in the 3-4 in my opinion, but if one player on this team can pull it off and maintain his level of play, it's Aaron Kampman.

"porky88" wrote:

I trust his words over you or anyone else on these boards lol.

I think we'll see Kampman coming free on blitzes from the OLB position next year.
blank
JNelson87
15 years ago
I'm skeptical about the 3-4. Only time will tell if it works. I jus hope we get some 3-4 expierienced guys to come in. The list of defensive FA's is a damn good one. We should be fine, if we go into next season with basically the same players on D in a 3-4 defense, then we'll be in trouble, JMO.
UserPostedImage
jdog2
15 years ago
Does Winston Moss have any experience in the 3-4? He is the LB coach.
blank
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago

Along with most on this board, I didn't think Kampman had a place in a 3-4 defense. Too small for DE; too slow for OLB. Well, Kampman is listed at 265 and a quick look over other OLBs in a 3-4 shows that many of the OLBs that line up over the RT, as Kampman would, are in the 260-270 range. That includes Lamar Woodley, Greg Ellis, Matt Roth, Johnson in Baltimore, some guy in SF (don't remeber his name), Willie McGinest, and Mike Vrabel, Adelius Thomas, and others. That group of guys doesn't strike me as a freakishly athletic bunch.

Who knows? Maybe Kampman can pull it off. At this point I'm inclined to trust the judgement of Dom Capers.

Thoughts?

"HoustonMatt" wrote:

I bolded the statement I agree with most strongly, but I wanted to say good call on your first paragraph as well. I was totally locked into the Suggs-type players and totally forgot about guys like Vrabel - Kampy's at least as good an athlete as him.

But the part I bolded is the most important to me. I highly doubt Capers would come here to implement his defense if he didn't think the players were capable of playing that defense, and I'm sure personnel was a big part of their discussions. I also don't think McCarthy's dumb enough to state that stuff for the record if he's not sure whether Capers agrees.

Above all, I believe that Thompson and McCarthy realize they don't have the luxury to set a 2-3 year re-tooling plan into place - they have to have a plan for this shift, and it doesn't make any sense if they don't truly think they have pieces in place to do it quickly and effectively.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
In the weird, convoluted way my brain works, watching the Ravens put their nose tackle on the offensive line yesterday, and the way Vrabel's name got tossed into this conversation, caused me to think about Charles Woodson.

What are the chances Dom Capers lobbies Mike McCarthy and Joe Philbin to make good on their promises to let Woodson get some snaps on offense? Woodson seems to have some of the surest hands on the team. I'd love to see him line up as a surprise eligible receiver on occasional downs inside the 10. Vrabel is currently 10-for-10 catching TD passes. Imagine what Woodson could do!
UserPostedImage
Bigbyfan
15 years ago

In the weird, convoluted way my brain works, watching the Ravens put their nose tackle on the offensive line yesterday, and the way Vrabel's name got tossed into this conversation, caused me to think about Charles Woodson.

What are the chances Dom Capers lobbies Mike McCarthy and Joe Philbin to make good on their promises to let Woodson get some snaps on offense? Woodson seems to have some of the surest hands on the team. I'd love to see him line up as a surprise eligible receiver on occasional downs inside the 10. Vrabel is currently 10-for-10 catching TD passes. Imagine what Woodson could do!

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

nah... the reason vrabel works is because he is big enough to go down in a three point stance at the TE position. Our top 3/4 receivers are good enough to stay on the field in the redzone instead of getting benched in favor of a defensive back.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
How many games this last season did we actually have all five WRs on the field at the same time, though? In short-yardage situations, it would have been interesting to see what Woodson could have done filling in for, say, the injured James Jones.

Woodson has said one of the reasons he came to Green Bay was they promised him the chance to play offense. I would like to see what he can do, at least in the preseason. If it doesn't work out, at least we know we tried.
UserPostedImage
porky88
15 years ago

Does Winston Moss have any experience in the 3-4? He is the LB coach.

"jdog2" wrote:

He played in it.