blueleopard
15 years ago

Miami plays a 3-4. They tried to get Danny Lasanah off the practise squad. Seems like he must be a very good fit for a 3-4. Thompson was very high on him and got rid of White to keep him. His size is very similar to Harrison of the Steelers. Could be our future 3-4 OLB.

Maybe the 3-4 idea was in the works for a while and got some players who could play there. They picked Lasanah and Bledsoe up for the practise squad, Bledsoe is the right type for a NT. They got Anthony Toribio who was on the Miami practise squad, a 3-4 team! They brought in Rodney Allen who is the right size to play 3-4 DE. Everyone wondered why we got him from Intense football league. Apparently he has shown good ability to rush the passer. This is further evidence that they were stockpiling on players who could play 3-4.

In the draft, we traded up for Jeremy Thompson. He is perfect for the OLB in a 3-4. He is athletic and has long arms. He can rush the passer and i've read somewhere that in college that he was often asked to play in coverage too.

I know i'm probably reaching but when you look at these little things, it seems like that they've been thinking about changing the system for at least a year.

Looking at our players in the 53 man squad and practice squad i can see why McCarthy thinks we can convert to a 3-4.

The way i see it atm:

ROLB - Danny Lasanah/Jason Hunter
Sam ILB - AJ Hawk
Will ILB - Nick Barnett/Brandon Chillar/Desmond Bishop
LOLB - Aaron Kampman/Brady Poppinga/Jeremy Thompson

DE - Cullen Jenkins/Justin Harrell
NT - Ryan Pickett/Fred Bledsoe
DE - Johnny Jolly/Rodney Allen/Anthony Toribio

"Megatron" wrote:

Very good analysis of every situation. I can't believe I forgot about Lansanah. He was a stud last pre-season.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
TengoJuego
15 years ago

Harris

---------Hawk--------------- Collins
Jenkins
---------------Bishop
Pickett
---------------Barnett---------Bigby/Rouse
Harrell/Kamp
--------Poppinga/Kamp/Draft

Woodson

"Stevetarded" wrote:

I had to tilt my head to read this.

I don't like the idea of Kampman being "a blitzing LB" if you will. It also kinda sells out our play with Kampman not really being much of a pass defender. Bart Scott Would be a welcomed addition. Terrell Suggs as well. I actually want Suggs more but he'll most likely be locked up long term in Baltimore.

Maybe Bigby can be utilized as one of those OLB's.

I am VERY anxious to see how this works with this defense's roster.
blueleopard
15 years ago

[quote="Stevetarded"]Harris

"TengoJuego" wrote:

Rouse might actually be a better fit at LB. He actually played the position a bit at V-Tech.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
TengoJuego
15 years ago

[quote="Stevetarded"]Harris

"blueleopard" wrote:

Rouse might actually be a better fit at LB. He actually played the position a bit at V-Tech.

"TengoJuego" wrote:

Playing LB in the ACC is much different from playing it in the NFL. Although I see where his knowledge would benefit him.
go.pack.go.
15 years ago
Jenkins
Ryan Pickett/Fred Bledsoe
Kampman/Jolly

Danny Lansanah/AJ Hawk/Nick Barnett
Desmond Bishop
Nick Barnett/AJ Hawk
Brady Poppinga/Brandon Chillar

Note: this is just going by who we have on our 53/practice squad. Didn't include draft / FA.
UserPostedImage
porky88
15 years ago
Johnny Jolly - Probably best suited to be a DE, but could work as a DT. I think a poor mans Haloti Ngata at best as he could alternate positions.

Ryan Pickett - I don't think he can play the nose tackle to a high level. I think he'd be average at best. Can he gain weight and stay in shape? I don't think so.

Cullen Jenkins - He'll need to get stronger to be a DE in the 3-4. He's more suited to be a cover 2 DT. None the less he has the size to do it. Again get stronger in the off season and he could do it.

Aaron Kampman - I think Kampman has the rare ability to learn just about anything that isn't unrealistic. With that said, he' has an uphill battle as he's a 4-3 DE. That's his best position. We'll see.

Jeremy Thompson - He's a raw player so with good coaching I could see him as a pass rushing outside linebacker. A project that could come out of know where in a year if this works.

A.J. Hawk - I think he could thrive as a 3-4 inside backer because he was able to penetrate in college so well and in the 3-4 he could be used to blitz properly through the middle, but he really needs to be taught how to blitz. He's awful at it right now and that's not good.

Nick Barnett - Think Jerod Mayo in New England at best, but in reality he's so undersized that at times he could get lit up. He'll need to be more disciplined. He's an inside backer obviously. I think he'll work as long as he's healthy.

Jason Hunter - An excellent fit for the 3-4 defense. Probably a favorite on paper to start at one of the outside linebacker spots or at least be a key pass rusher.

Brady Poppinga - Fits as an outside linebacker, but is awful at blitzing. He'll need to learn to blitz better and timing is key in the 3-4 and he doesn't have that when he blitzes.

Desmond Bishop - High motor player who could probably work as an inside linebacker in the 3-4.

Brandon Chller - Not much of a pass rusher and honestly I could see him playing either inside or outside. He has the size and skill set, but I see him as an odd man out right now.

Alfred Malone - Probably a DE in the 3-4. Honestly I haven't watched him play that much, but he might be strong enough to do it. Wish he had a taller frame.

Danny Lansanah - On paper he looks like an inside backer in the 3-4. Ideal size for it.

My guess is Ted Thompson already has a depth chart projected up in his office by now and it probably looks something like this.....

DE Johnny Jolly/Justin Harrell/Alfred Malone
DT Ryan Pickett/Johnny Jolly/Justin Harrell
DE Cullen Jenkins/Justin Harrell/Alfred Malone

OLB Aaron Kampman/Brandon Chiller/Jeremy Thompson
ILB A.J. Hawk/Desmond Bishop/Brandon Chiller
MLB Nick Barnett/Desmond Bishop/Danny Lansanah
OLB Jason Hunter/Brady Poppinga/Brandon Chiller

You're probably looking at a DE, OLB, and NT as your priorities this off season on the defensive side of the ball.
Dulak
15 years ago

You're probably looking at a DE, OLB, and NT as your priorities this off season on the defensive side of the ball.

"porky88" wrote:

Nice write up there (Above)

IMO we dont really have a guy that can pass rush that good. I like Barnett but like you said hes underweight.

I'd like it if they grabbed orakpo in the draft (that is if hes available since we get the 9th pick).
Or maybe getting suggs or both ;)

Then get some big NT and use our current DT to trade-off on the DEs of the new 3-4 scheme.
Yerko
15 years ago
-------------------------OLB- Hawk

DE- Jenkins
-------------------------ILB- Bishop
DT- Pickett and Jolly
-------------------------MLB- Barnett
DE- Orakpo (if drafted)

-------------------------OLB- Kampman

sorry, it didn't turn out right the first time
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
15 years ago
I still think Kampman can play some DE. He's big enough to do that IMO.
UserPostedImage
Yerko
15 years ago

I still think Kampman can play some DE. He's big enough to do that IMO.

"go.pack.go." wrote:

I absolutely agree with you g.p.g
However, since Mike McCarthy decided to say he thinks Kampman will be excited, there is going to be a change for him.

Can I put something out there? You can slap me for saying this but does anyone think they should put Barnett out at OLB? I know he doesn't want to be there.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (30m) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (31m) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (51m) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (1h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (2h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (17h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.