bozz_2006
15 years ago
i'm with you warhawk.
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago

I thank Ted Thompson for getting us this far along this fast.

I believe this coming season with more urgency to improve certain aspects of the team and calling for a new defense will prompt Ted Thompson to do what need to be done to get us where we need to be.

You see I don't believe Ted Thompson has anything against FA at all. I don't think FA was the move to make.....until now. I think now he will make that move.

"warhawk" wrote:

+1 one and I very much agree. On all counts.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

Moreso.. there seems to be a resistance to Free Agents coming to Green Bay when an equal opportunity is available elsewhere.

"pack93z" wrote:

Precisely. Which is why this comment

Reality is Ted Thompson is going to have to offer any top tier FA a hell of a lot more money than most any other team out there to make them want to come to Green Bay.

Unless Ted Thompson changes his way, that is not going to happen.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

makes no sense to me. It's a conflation of causation that I don't understand. It's misreading a distaste for Green Bay itself as distrust of the Packers organization.

As people have taken great pains to show on this site (ironically, for different motives than mine), that reluctance to come to Green Bay predates Ted Thompson. People now try to pin it on Thompson as a means to discredit him, when in fact it's something systemic within NFL perception of Green Bay as a town (more so, from what I've read, than of the Packers as an organization).

Is it "fair" that players don't want to come to Green Bay because it's "no town for a black man"? No, but it's the reality we have to face. I have no desire to see Packers management sink this team into salary cap hell just to attract a few free agents who don't otherwise want to be here. They make millions of dollars a year -- they can afford a few plane tickets to cities that better suit their "urban" tastes.

Has it ever occurred to anyone that one of the reasons why Ted Thompson was brought to Green Bay may well have been because his preference for building through the draft was a natural antidote to the longstanding resistance from NFL players to coming to Green Bay?

P.S. I never labeled anyone a "hater." I merely said his carping is monotonous, because it's so predictable.

/thread hijack

P.P.S. I concur with warhawk's analysis almost point for point.
UserPostedImage
15 years ago
I had uhh... never thought of that before, but it makes sense (and suggests an incredible amount of insight and proactive thinking if it were true).

It IS amusing to me that Green Bay has that type of reputation, yet so many ex-players stick around in the area after they're done.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago
Hey... you know.. this is some of the best most civil discussion I have seen to date upon the Ted Thompson impact in Green Bay..

Thank you.. keep that trend rolling.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

I had uhh... never thought of that before,

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

I had never thought of it until the moment I read it, which is why I phrased it as a question. It is a thought-provoking idea. Reading articles from the time he was hired shows that management was fully aware of Ted Thompson's preference for the draft, so it's not like there were any surprises. Therefore, the implication is they brought him in because they had concluded the draft was the direction they needed to go.

Unless people want to argue Thompson somehow pulled the wool over their eyes, an assertion that just isn't supported by evidence.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what others think about this theory.
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago

I had uhh... never thought of that before, but it makes sense (and suggests an incredible amount of insight and proactive thinking if it were true).

It IS amusing to me that Green Bay has that type of reputation, yet so many ex-players stick around in the area after they're done.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Well, part of that is a big old broad-brush-job on NFL players, really. The whole "well, they're young and black, so they only want to live in a big city with a ton of nightlife in the South" thing, which is the usual lowest common denominator assessment. Of course, it's not any more true than saying all older white people like Lawrence Welk, but that won't stop it.

Woodson, Harris, Barnett, Jennings, they all seem to be doing okay in Green Bay (and again, they can get out of town easily enough) - hell, Ahman Green loved it there.

I guess what I'm suggesting is that perhaps that reputation is a thing of the past, and not something the organization needs to overcome anymore.
blank
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago

I had uhh... never thought of that before,

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I had never thought of it until the moment I read it, which is why I phrased it as a question. It is a thought-provoking idea. Reading articles from the time he was hired shows that management was fully aware of Ted Thompson's preference for the draft, so it's not like there were any surprises. Therefore, the implication is they brought him in because they had concluded the draft was the direction they needed to go.

Unless people want to argue Thompson somehow pulled the wool over their eyes, an assertion that just isn't supported by evidence.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what others think about this theory.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

I think it's an interesting theory. As I said before (sorry, it ended up in the other thread), though, I suspect there's some hyperbole in play when it comes to young black NFL players and GB.

Also, I think there are some aspects to GB that would be attractive to players - I can't think of any place left in the NFL that caters to and adores players as much as GB. It's a very college-like atmosphere in that regard.

Also, less press coverage/heat on every little incident. See: Nick Barnett's deal, for instance.

But, if the perception of the Packers FO is that it does take bribery money to get FAs in, then the idea that they went with Ted because he does focus on the draft isn't at all far-fetched.
blank
Packnic
15 years ago

I think the bottom line here is to consider what Ted Thompson was brought in here for and the situation the team was in at the time.

The roster was getting old, our depth beyond starters was non-existent, Favre was already talking about the tractor, and even our own prior GM was saying we had less than NFL caliber starters at various positions.

Ted Thompson was brought in to get the Cap managed properly and get an aging team younger and build quality depth into the roster and I am quite certain knew he had to find the future QB for the team as well.

The recipe was just not conducive for paying high end experienced FA's who all pretty much knew GB was reloading.

I will say this. Based on any reasonable timetable the '07 season and 13-3 came ahead of it's time but for every good break and close win we pulled out that year what goes around came around in '08.

2007 advanced the expectations and shortened the timetable for him and for the team. In short, the situation now is DIFFERENT than in the past because this last season went in REVERSE instead of a steady building process. We have not been a couple of FA's away from being a contender and in a place where feet are closer to the fire as they are now.

I thank Ted Thompson for getting us this far along this fast.

I believe this coming season with more urgency to improve certain aspects of the team and calling for a new defense will prompt Ted Thompson to do what need to be done to get us where we need to be.

You see I don't believe Ted Thompson has anything against FA at all. I don't think FA was the move to make.....until now. I think now he will make that move.

"warhawk" wrote:

Buckeye... your chance to respond? and please do so without saying the tired rehashed stigmas attached to Ted Thompson that have absolutely zero basis in fact.
blank
dhazer
15 years ago
Hell with you all i will say it. I AM A Ted Thompson HATER, I HAVE BEEN FROM DAY ONE. You guys can say whatever you want and i really doubt it will change my mind, I haven't agreed with all the trading down he does in the draft, and then there hasn't been many picks i have agreed with all together, how many of you people can honestly say they knew who Greg Jennings was when he was drafted? How many people threw stuff at the tv when he drafted Bustin instead of a back or TE that everyone said we needed? So once again i am a Ted Thompson Hater and proud of it 😛
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage