Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
Mitigating Risk
Pack93z - PackersHome Member

So here we are, on the threshold of something that is uncommon in the game; changing a complete philosophy of playing defense in an offseason.

Although I happen to believe it wont be a revolutionary change, meaning that we will become a traditional 3-4 defense. But even in that context there is a certain amount of query to why the sudden shift in mindset and how to protect ourselves from failure.

Before I begin to break down my thoughts on the why question, I first feel I must address something that struck me amiss during McCarthys press conference announcing the hire.

I'm a big believer in the 3-4 defense Mike quipped.

If that is true then why not take that stand in the beginning of your rein here as the head coach? Why during the shareholders meeting last season did you endorse the defense as the tone setter of the team?

Sanders reluctance to change wasn't a revelation this season, but you endorsed it to the ninth before the season began. So I understand your desire to have more flexibility on defense, and I must add it is about time, but the move strikes me of some desperation to redeem a wrong. That wrong, is dragging your feet in making a stand of an ongoing issue from the start. You had to see the issues in the 07 season with lack of adjustment in numerous games in which the press coverage was getting torched. Or the failure of the defense to generate pressure when the front four struggled to get it on their own accord, failures in blitz packages tracing back to the 06 season.

Then you endorse that unit as the flagship of the franchise, only to see it sink that very ship with powder keg after powder keg exploding over the course of the 08 season. I understand the desire for an alternate path of direction, but talk about change; dropping a charge like endorsing a 3-4 concept as base is explosive in its own right.

Yes I am critical of the plodding pace to recognize an issue and pondering actions to make a change, but I applaud him at the very same time for finally making the change. Albeit I was far more comforted by Capers presser than I was of Mikes, a flexing changing defense is a must to continued consistent success of a defense at that level. My only criticism of McCarthys cleaning house and changes of direction this offseason is that he didnt clear the team of another area of concern, the lack of growth and consistent production along the offensive line. Maybe those changes are happening behind the curtain, maybe they are adopting more of a power blocking concept and taking advantage of Campen and Fontenos experience. Guess we have to wait to see if that change is forthcoming.

So back to why they may be making the change now at an unusual timeframe to make such a drastic change and some of the high level risk that may be included after the wrappers are torn off next fall.

The whys are complex and simple in the same breaths of explanation while the notion is radical there are compelling answers to the why question.

The main topics I will broach are:

Playing wide and deep
Speed thrills and kills
Pressure Points
Zone Blitzing
The economics of the game

Playing Wide and Deep

Like the 4-3 Man Over and Under, a three down front with upright backers to the wings give you a very wide base in alignment if you wish. Depending on the techniques deployed by the down line man, two gap and clog or single gap and penetrate, you can vary the look and within the same alignment make the defense very wide or deep with a simple shift. We will get more into that with the Pressure point discussion, but the main focus here is that this defense is not only more flexible in coverage and blitz, it is also just as dynamic against the run with the proper personnel in play.

With 5 players along the line and two deep, you have less natural gaps to allow the offensive team to form running lanes.. dependent upon your line calls you can create targeting problems in blocking assignments by shading the interior backers or moving them around presnap and still maintain balance along the defensive assignments.

The risk here is you have to have discipline in your defensive players to maintain their assignments, especially up front, and not breakdown. If you have a defensive lineman break off his assignment it allows the offense to get deeper into the defense quicker than the 4-3 and the potential for longer gains with more consistency is higher than a four man front where there is more balanced pressure along the offensive line.

Speed Thrills and Kills

Simply it allows you to deploy more agile and speedier players in the box, albeit it forgoes a little bulk and natural strength with it as well. Under the premise, it should strain the bulkier offensive lineman to get ahead of the play faster and place undo pressure on them in location and footwork in blocking. Basically, they are asked to hit a faster target, that in theory being deeper or wider in the defense should balance the scale a little in terms of strength and positional leverage.

This is my biggest area of concern with the switch, to this date I have seen very poor play inside the box from our current group of linebackers.. to have four of them on the field they are going to have learn to play better in the leverage game, with their hands to shed blocks effectively. They also are going to have to become more active and flowing to make it harder for them to be blocked effectively. No more sitting on their heels waiting for the play to come to them.. if they sit and wait.. the pain of an effective running game will be apparent.

Pressure Points

We all heard McCarthy use the word pressure points within the defense, what makes it different from a 4-3, where you can play man over or under shifting the front around.

Generally you have 3 stout players lined up on the defensive line, if they are man enough they are going to either force doubles to move them or in the least consume one blocker.. at the point of attacked.. the 4-3 is superior in terms of numbers and size.. but where you gain running a 3-4 is you force the offensive line to stretch their blocking assignments wider and deeper creating seams in which you can fill and attack the offense in the running game. In a 4 front, the olineman dont have to reach that far to block down or seal off.. in a three four you are putting that pressure into play creating points to attack the offense.

Why doesnt everyone use the 3-4 with some of the advantages.. well it is simple, it applies more pressure on your down lineman and you have to be very disciplined in your gap reads and assignments.. it is a less forgiving defense IMO.

Zone Blitzing

So we have attacked the point in the running game.. but this defense is just as dynamic on the passing game front if not even more.

You now have more speed on the field, widening your defense and forcing pressure on the offense.. you can vary the 4th, and if desired 5th and 6th pass rusher.. by lining up and showing blitz of a number of fronts you keep the offensive protection off balance, unsure of where the blitz is coming from and whom will be peeling off and dropping into coverage.. with that increased speed upon the field and lined up deep and wide, you have combinations of coverage scheme that just are available in a 4-3 or as effective.

Does that zone concept have to extend all the way through the back end of the defense.. not necessarily.. but traditionally it does. But queue up some Ravens footage and you will see a lot of man press from the corners and zone from the backers and safeties.. so it doesnt exactly mean the death of the press we so adore. Just varied looks to keep the offense in check and forcing them to read the coverage properly.

Folk wonder why the Packers defense collapsed late in games.. well with the offense knowing what the scheme was, they could step up to the line, not worry about coverage issues and attack the defense with what worked throughout the game.. pretty simple actually.

The economics of the game

The sheer number of tweeners coming out of college on a yearly basis is exceptional, most fit the mold of the pass rushing breed. Most tweeners fit horribly into a 4-3 defense.. not stout enough to play the end and not agile enough to play a OLB in a 4-3 with the coverage game.. one dimensional players more so. But with the NFL evolving more towards a pass first mentality, we should gain some advantage here in terms of applying pressure, finding that niche, and affording that niche.

Guess what, in this league you pay a premium for people that can rush the passer.. especially in a 4-3 alignment where the bulk of the pressure comes from the ends.. not an abundance of players that consistently provide pressure from that position.. which means a premium dollar must be paid.

With an abundance of tweeners each year, you can afford to rely less upon the premium players and the dollars they collect and reload talent with less issue. The choices and options become more vast with greater numbers, just look at the way Pittsburgh and Baltimore reload yearly.

But that is only one dimension of the defense, where you save and find talent easier on the edges, it is harder and costly to maintain talent on the interior. Quality Nose tackles are hard to find and just look around the league, guys that can play the nose command sizeable dollars late into their careers.. a 3-4 DE is just about as hard to find, that is if you want one that can consistently give you a pass rush push from the position.. see Richard Seymour as a prime example.

While some believe it is a cheaper defense to run, I say nay, the dollars are just shifted and spread out a little more equally.

Again, I dont see us becoming a static 3-4 traditional defense, but taking into account the variations one can set in the 3-4 alignment, some 4 man fronts in rotation and the notion spoken by Dom of adjusting the scheme to the talent at hand.. I see no reason that the risk of converting over in a single offseason will be any greater than continuing forward in a traditional 4-3 alignment that we have grown accustomed to the better part of a decade and a half, 1994 being the first year that we converted to the 4-3 base.

Is it September yet?
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
dfosterf (13h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (13h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (13h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (14h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (15h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.