Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
5 Pages«<2345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline JNelson87  
#31 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 5:06:05 PM(UTC)

Yep, his first draft pick as GM of the Packers.
Offline go.pack.go.  
#32 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 5:11:06 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 50
" said: Go to Quoted Post
No way, GPG. Because, you see, he hasn't won any games inside of 2 minutes yet. How could you make such a rookie mistake? :P

Please excuse for my awful mistake :)
Offline blueleopard  
#33 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 9:09:28 PM(UTC)

Applause Received: 145
Jennings is a Ted Thompson player that he valued out of the gate. Remember, the draft class was weak in that area, and Chad Jackson and Santonio Holmes. Holmes is a playmaker but very inconsistent where as Jackson was cut by the Patriots and now is struggling to make the Raiders' roster. The Raiders!

Jennings gets re-signed. Easily. After Driver retires, Jennings can easily be the face because he's become very vocal this season.
Offline DakotaT  
#34 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 11:48:02 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 962
Applause Received: 1,960
This has been an interesting thread no doubt. What I want to know is what does everyone think is a number 1 receiver? Since the early 90's I view the Packers as only having 2 legitimate #1 wide receivers - Sharpe and (cough) Walker.

Don't get me wrong, we have had awesome receivers, which Jennings is apart of. But I don't consider him a #1 wide out because of his size, and in this offense where you need to have to go over middle constantly, size does matter.

I think the Packers get away with not having a numer 1 wideout because each receiver is very good. When it comes down to Jenning's contract, I really think it may get ugly, because Greg has had such good stats and is a very cerebral player. I don't mind Jennings getting overpaid, God knows we've overpaid for the likes of Smoking Joe Johnson and Cletidus, maybe one of the good guys should get the money once.
Offline bozz_2006  
#35 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 11:52:42 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 20
Applause Received: 14
Driver is our guy that goes over the middle now. what is he, one inch taller than Jennings?

Who, in your opinion, are the number one receivers in the league right now? I know your angle, and i know what you're saying, but i don't think a WR has to be able to carry the entire offense to be considered a #1 receiver. semantics, i guess.
Offline DakotaT  
#36 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 12:10:30 AM(UTC)

United States
Driver is our guy that goes over the middle now. what is he, one inch taller than Jennings?

Who, in your opinion, are the number one receivers in the league right now? I know your angle, and i know what you're saying, but i don't think a WR has to be able to carry the entire offense to be considered a #1 receiver. semantics, i guess.

What do you mean, he doesn't have to carry the offense? With the kind of jack a number 1 receiver makes, he better. Who do I think is a number one receiver: Fitzgerald, Plaxico (we'll leave his upcoming trial alone here), Marshall in Denver, the kid in Houston (Johnson?).

My post is not a knock on Jennings, because I think he is an exceptional receiver, but teams aren't shifting their whole defense around to stop him, yet. Let's see what he does next year.
Offline bozz_2006  
#37 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 1:15:44 AM(UTC)

Applause Given: 20
Applause Received: 14
My only point was to clarify what you would define a #1 WR as. is your point that Jennings doesn't have what it takes to be one of the highest paid receivers in the league?
Online PackFanWithTwins  
#38 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 1:27:53 AM(UTC)

Applause Given: 21
Applause Received: 834
I fully expect Thompson to offer Jennings a contract at least at the level of what Lee Evans got. 4 years 40 million range. How that is spread out and how much is guaranteed is hard to say, but I would not be surprised if the guarantee is in the 20 million range.

Get the extension done before there is any chance of other bidding. IMO it would not be a wise move to let Jennings go. Yes Driver is still around, but Jennings is the only other player that has shown he can be an elite WR out of the others. sure Jones and Nelson have potential, but Jennings had a very good rookie year, and never showed a sophomore slump and come up big in 08'

DD is not going to be around for ever and Jennings appears to be a player that will be the face of the WR corp for foreseeable future. Sure any play he could be done for ever. that is always the gamble a team takes with any players. But gambling that he could be let go and another players steps up a much bigger gamble IMO.
Offline DakotaT  
#39 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 2:02:54 AM(UTC)

United States
My only point was to clarify what you would define a #1 WR as. is your point that Jennings doesn't have what it takes to be one of the highest paid receivers in the league?

I think Jennings has some physical limitations that would keep him from being a top five receiver year to year. And I agree with the title of this thread that Jennings won't be easy to sign because his agent will come in high, Ted will low ball, and then it will ugly as these things usually do.

People say we should extend him now, which I think has already been offered and rejected. Greg is going to go for his payday, which he should. It will definitely be a subject we will discuss many times in the next few years.
Offline blueleopard  
#40 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 2:25:18 AM(UTC)

Applause Received: 145
I don't think we'll have a legitimate #1 receiver until Aaron Rodgers shows that he favors some receivers over others.

Right now, it doesn't look like it'll happen soon. If you look at the numbers he put up, he did an outstanding job spreading the ball around. The only thing I would've liked to see was more opportunities for D. Lee.

I judge #1 receivers by how much the opposing defense has to plan against him. Only a few receivers have that distinction--that belongs to Terrell Owens and Randy Moss and more recently... Larry Fitzgerald. You can throw Andre Johnson into the mix too, it's just that he plays for a horrible team.

Only one smaller receiver has that dynamic spunk to him--that's Steve Smith. You can say what you want about his attitude and say he's overrated--but look at the Panthers game we should've won this season. Aside from the fact that our defense and special teams choked big time, you just KNEW it was going to be Smith making the play. Had Smith not been on the field--we win.

In terms of potential, Greg Jennings probably won't be looked at as a "Dynamic #1", but he's definitely considered elite. Coming out of college, he drew comparisons to Marvin Harrison. Marvin Harrison is about the same size as Jennings and Driver, and Harrison is probably going to be going to the Hall of Fame one day because of his attitude and his consistency.

Jennings has to stay consistent, and he'll be a "Mr. Reliable" type of receiver.

He has the potential to be better than Marvin Harrison too. I can't think of any receiver who has his breakaway capabilities. Even early on in Harrison's career, he wasn't the same playmaker Jennings currently is. Harrison just breaks ankles with his route running.

Back to the payday--fair value for him is somewhere upwards of 35-40 million dollars. Something similar to what Lee Evans is paid, as someone stated.
Rss Feed