warhawk
15 years ago
I think the Ted Thompson critics just refuse to look at the body of work that he faced and ultimately reject the way it was handled without considering the cards he was dealt.

By the time he got here MANY NFL insiders were seeing a weakened squad and were no longer giving the North Division to the Packers.

With no infusion of quality defensive players over several years that side of the ball was hurting badly. We had ONE CB (Harris) that could play, safety was a very weak position (thankfully Collins played respectfully well for a rookie), Barnett was the only real quality LB and the interior of the DL was not good resulting in one of the worst run defenses in the league.

Longwell wanted a roof and Favre was talking about quitting and the offense was aging fast. Ted Thompson had no choice but to consider who was next for guys like Green, Hondo, Flanny, Bubba, Favre and others. Ted Thompson inherited all of something like $2.1 mill in Cap dollars and within a couple of years SEVERAL key players like Barnett, Driver, Harris, etc. were going to have to be dealt with or lost.

So Ted's plan is to get the Cap right and utilize the draft to inject youth and quality on the roster and keep the core players on the team so he wouldn't end up chasing his tail by having to replace quality players with FA's. Being in position to deal with a Greg Jennings contract is a perfect example.

So what does he get for it from his critics? His butt kicked for "trading down" for more picks in the draft and not obtaining more high priced FA's. In other words that want it ALL.
"The train is leaving the station."
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago

PackZ93= Pile of dung :icon_smile:

"Trippster" wrote:

That final week or two in LA, I would have preferred to be dung. :lol:

Warhawk.. Thompson was assisted greatly by record increases in the cap in 06 and 07... sometimes we tend to give him too much credit in that regard.. look around the league.. more so than not, teams have excess cap room to spare.

Not saying that he hasn't played the cap well, just making note that he got a huge assist in that department via the CBA.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
beast
15 years ago

I think the Ted Thompson critics just refuse to look at the body of work that he faced and ultimately reject the way it was handled without considering the cards he was dealt.

By the time he got here MANY NFL insiders were seeing a weakened squad and were no longer giving the North Division to the Packers.

With no infusion of quality defensive players over several years that side of the ball was hurting badly. We had ONE CB (Harris) that could play, safety was a very weak position (thankfully Collins played respectfully well for a rookie), Barnett was the only real quality LB and the interior of the DL was not good resulting in one of the worst run defenses in the league.

Longwell wanted a roof and Favre was talking about quitting and the offense was aging fast. Ted Thompson had no choice but to consider who was next for guys like Green, Hondo, Flanny, Bubba, Favre and others. Ted Thompson inherited all of something like $2.1 mill in Cap dollars and within a couple of years SEVERAL key players like Barnett, Driver, Harris, etc. were going to have to be dealt with or lost.

So Ted's plan is to get the Cap right and utilize the draft to inject youth and quality on the roster and keep the core players on the team so he wouldn't end up chasing his tail by having to replace quality players with FA's. Being in position to deal with a Greg Jennings contract is a perfect example.

So what does he get for it from his critics? His butt kicked for "trading down" for more picks in the draft and not obtaining more high priced FA's. In other words that want it ALL.

"warhawk" wrote:

I thought the Packers were over the cap when Thompson came in. Wasn't that the reason or the claimed reason, Sharper and Wahle were cut?
UserPostedImage
Packerchick
15 years ago

Agreed, Dakota....nothing good will come of this thread.

That being said, some people just need something to gripe about....and he is a very visible and safe target for people's frustrations....football related or otherwise.

Kid talks back....Ted sucks.

Wife leave....Ted sucks.

Dog craps the carpet....Ted sucks.

"digsthepack" wrote:

the world is ending....ted sucks even then.
I am a woman and I love football.
15 years ago

I thought the Packers were over the cap when Thompson came in. Wasn't that the reason or the claimed reason, Sharper and Wahle were cut?

"beast" wrote:

I know I read recently (and not on a message board) that their projected number was over the salary cap, but I can't say for certain if it's true. Either way, it was damn close and they couldn't have signed their veterans.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
15 years ago

"beast" wrote:

"warhawk" wrote:

I believe that we were slightly under but in todays NFL it was nothing to bargain with.
warhawk
15 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

Warhawk.. Thompson was assisted greatly by record increases in the cap in 06 and 07... sometimes we tend to give him too much credit in that regard.. look around the league.. more so than not, teams have excess cap room to spare.

Not saying that he hasn't played the cap well, just making note that he got a huge assist in that department via the CBA.

"Trippster" wrote:

Thankfully, he was aided by the increase which gave him the room to renegotiate several key players contracts. My point is had he went out and obtained other high-end FA's the money available to retain playeres would have been much less.

Don't forget the other end of the equation on the added cap dollars. It created record setting FA contracts which also had a trickle down affect in the renegotiation of ALL other players contracts as well.

You put more money in your pocket to buy more candy bars and the cost of candy bars goes up you still end up with the same amount of candy bars.
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago

Cheesey, I am not doubting that Ted Thompson will do what he thinks is best for the team.

What I don't understand, is why so many people are ready to give him a pass if we have ANOTHER losing season. Winning is really all that matters.

"IronMan" wrote:

I don't know that I'd give him a pass. I would, however, take into account the circumstances surrounding that year, as I've done with the previous years.

His first year, he gets a pass - actually he gets a good grade because of the good work he did to clear some cap room and make room for the youth movement.

Second year, we improved. Especially towards the end. That's another passing grade, as it indicated that the changes he made were working.

Third year, we got one OT away from the Super Bowl. If he gets no credit for this, I fail to see how he can get blame for a bad year.

Fourth year, this is the one season I'm giving him bad marks for. In fact I'm giving him a solid FAIL, because he (and McCarthy) did nothing to address a flawed defensive scheme, and they botched the Favre situation horribly (yes, Favre deserves his own share of the blame, but we're not talking about him). So 2008 was a very bad year for Ted Thompson.

Next year, I'll look at the season and assess it the same way I have the other seasons. I'm not happy with 1 winning season out of 5 (if, in fact, they have a losing season next year), no - but I'm not into change for its own sake. If the team tanks again next year and they look to make a change, it better be for a proven guy and not just a scapegoat hunt.
blank
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
I haven't seen one person give Ted Thompson a pass. I have seen people show they have faith in his abilities as a GM though. Probably because they are, ya know, Packers fans and are hoping for the best.
UserPostedImage
doddpower
15 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

"Trippster" wrote:

While the increase in cap certainly helped, every other team in the NFL got that added room as well, and many teams are way worse off then the Packers.

So in that regard, that comes out in the wash. Ted does a good job managing the cap and having plenty of room to sign our key players, ie Greg Jennings. Only speaking of this one facet, I say good job Ted.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (6h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (6h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (6h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (7h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (8h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (23h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (23h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (23h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.