warhawk
15 years ago
I am not sure Poppinga is a better football player than Bishop. If both players had equal PT I think Bishop would show that. He has shown great ability to read and make plays behind the LOS.

The rap on him is in coverage but he hasn't been on the field to pick up the experience and the LB's had a tough time last year being in man coverage a lot and nobody getting to the QB.

I would like to see what he could do in zone. For one thing I think he will be popping guys out there and is the kind of hitter that makes WR's hesitate to go over the middle.
"The train is leaving the station."
beast
15 years ago

Poppinga should be inside and Hawk or Barnett should be the play maker on the outside. Also Poppinga is better than Bishop and Lansanah. Also Chillar and Barnet aren't that physical and one gap DL 3-4 LBs need to be more physical than 4-3 LBs.

I really doubt they cut Poppinga just because people don't like him. He gets his job done. He's a role player and that's what the 3-4 ILB is too or at least the more physical one trying to keep the other one more free and Poppinga skills and the way he plays are perfect for the position and I really doubt he's cut.

"Megatron" wrote:

I don't think Hawk and Barnett are ideal OLB. Bishop is finally ready to make the step up, he is still only 24! he's been patient and i think it's time to unleash him on the field. Lansanah has far too much talent and is an ideal 3-4 ILB. Miami tried to get him off our PS and thankfully he showed loyalty to the packers by signing with us. Poppinga has had his time and now it's time to give others the chance to show what they can do.

Poppinga entered the NFL quite late and since then has not really produced for us, that is a massive hint regarding his ability. He doesn't get the job done otherwise we would've not have had such a crappy defence. As a person he is a great guy and people use that as an reason why he is "good" enough for us. He's clearly isn't.

"beast" wrote:

I don't think Barnett is the ideal 3-4 anything..... I think Hawk might fit better as the OLB then ILB..... So since he was cut and Miami wanted him that makes him better than Poppinga, who wasn't cut?

That makes no sense....

Poppinga was on the field for a reason. That reason was he's better than the guys on the bench. And Poppinga does get his job done. In Sanders system the OLB is asked to take on the blocker keep the MLB clean and funnel the ball carrier to the MLB and he got that job done. just because the Dl couldn't keep Barnett clean doesn't mean it's Poppinga fault.

I'm not saying he's a great person.... I don't know what kind of person he is. I know what kind of player he is. He's a lunch pail guy, who is willing to get physical and does a good job at it, which is what the "Jack" position in the 3-4 is asked to do. "Jack" is the second MLB, the one who is suppose to be the more physical one and willing to fight it out with OL.

just because all you care about is stats and the guy that makes the play doesn't mean all the role players to let that guy make the play aren't doing a great job. Poppinga is a role player and has done a great job at what he's asked to do other than in coverage, and he's still better than bishop in coverage.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago

Poppinga should be inside and Hawk or Barnett should be the play maker on the outside. Also Poppinga is better than Bishop and Lansanah. Also Chillar and Barnet aren't that physical and one gap DL 3-4 LBs need to be more physical than 4-3 LBs.

I really doubt they cut Poppinga just because people don't like him. He gets his job done. He's a role player and that's what the 3-4 ILB is too or at least the more physical one trying to keep the other one more free and Poppinga skills and the way he plays are perfect for the position and I really doubt he's cut.

"beast" wrote:

I don't think Hawk and Barnett are ideal OLB. Bishop is finally ready to make the step up, he is still only 24! he's been patient and i think it's time to unleash him on the field. Lansanah has far too much talent and is an ideal 3-4 ILB. Miami tried to get him off our PS and thankfully he showed loyalty to the packers by signing with us. Poppinga has had his time and now it's time to give others the chance to show what they can do.

Poppinga entered the NFL quite late and since then has not really produced for us, that is a massive hint regarding his ability. He doesn't get the job done otherwise we would've not have had such a crappy defence. As a person he is a great guy and people use that as an reason why he is "good" enough for us. He's clearly isn't.

"Megatron" wrote:

I don't think Barnett is the ideal 3-4 anything..... I think Hawk might fit better as the OLB then ILB..... So since he was cut and Miami wanted him that makes him better than Poppinga, who wasn't cut?

That makes no sense....

Poppinga was on the field for a reason. That reason was he's better than the guys on the bench. And Poppinga does get his job done. In Sanders system the OLB is asked to take on the blocker keep the MLB clean and funnel the ball carrier to the MLB and he got that job done. just because the Dl couldn't keep Barnett clean doesn't mean it's Poppinga fault.

I'm not saying he's a great person.... I don't know what kind of person he is. I know what kind of player he is. He's a lunch pail guy, who is willing to get physical and does a good job at it, which is what the "Jack" position in the 3-4 is asked to do. "Jack" is the second MLB, the one who is suppose to be the more physical one and willing to fight it out with OL.

just because all you care about is stats and the guy that makes the play doesn't mean all the role players to let that guy make the play aren't doing a great job. Poppinga is a role player and has done a great job at what he's asked to do other than in coverage, and he's still better than bishop in coverage.

"beast" wrote:

Looking at the Jack position. That is where Hawk is going to earn his keep. Poppinga might well end up his backup. Hawk's hard work is going to make Barnett.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
porky88
15 years ago

"beast" wrote:

"Megatron" wrote:

That makes no sense....

"beast" wrote:

I agree that Poppinga isn't a bad player. I think he's a pretty solid player and not going anywhere. He'll never be great, but like you said he can get the job done as long as he's not isolated in space with a playmaking running back or tight end, but then again most linebackers struggle in those situations. I think he'll end up competing for one of the outside jobs and he'll probably end up being the primary backup. He'll see several snaps especially for Aaron Kampman whom I'm not sure can play every single down standing up.

Hawk should play the inside in the 3-4. The problem with Hawk or Barnett on the outside is they're bad pass rushers. Hawk is hardly an 8 to 10 sack guy and that's what GB needs.

Look at Pittsburgh's outside linebackers in the 3-4 as GB's system is going to be basically the same thing. LaMarr Woodley and James Harrison are very good pass rushers and that's why the system works.

GB has one good pass rusher with Aaron Kampman, but the other one isn't on the roster yet or is an unknown right now. More than likely you could see a guy like Jason Hunter thrive in the 3-4 if he can stand up and play which I think he might be able to do. I wouldn't bet the house on it though.

Considering that GB doesn't need to release anyone they probably won't. My guess is maybe Chad Clifton and Brandon Chiller are on the hot seat. Chiller due to so many players in the line backing core and Clifton due to the KGB factor. Rather release him now than pay for it in the middle of the season.
DakotaT
15 years ago

"porky88" wrote:

"beast" wrote:

That makes no sense....

"Megatron" wrote:

I agree that Poppinga isn't a bad player. I think he's a pretty solid player and not going anywhere. He'll never be great, but like you said he can get the job done as long as he's not isolated in space with a playmaking running back or tight end, but then again most linebackers struggle in those situations. I think he'll end up competing for one of the outside jobs and he'll probably end up being the primary backup. He'll see several snaps especially for Aaron Kampman whom I'm not sure can play every single down standing up.

Hawk should play the inside in the 3-4. The problem with Hawk or Barnett on the outside is they're bad pass rushers. Hawk is hardly an 8 to 10 sack guy and that's what GB needs.

Look at Pittsburgh's outside linebackers in the 3-4 as GB's system is going to be basically the same thing. LaMarr Woodley and James Harrison are very good pass rushers and that's why the system works.

GB has one good pass rusher with Aaron Kampman, but the other one isn't on the roster yet or is an unknown right now. More than likely you could see a guy like Jason Hunter thrive in the 3-4 if he can stand up and play which I think he might be able to do. I wouldn't bet the house on it though.

Considering that GB doesn't need to release anyone they probably won't. My guess is maybe Chad Clifton and Brandon Chiller are on the hot seat. Chiller due to so many players in the line backing core and Clifton due to the KGB factor. Rather release him now than pay for it in the middle of the season.

"beast" wrote:

Porky, doesn't Poppinga make too much to be a backup.

Agree on Hawk.

I've never considered Barnett a particularly good tackler, but he has extremely good speed for his position. I'll let Capers figure out where he plays.

Agree on Chiller, but Clifton should be allowed to play out his last year even if he has to be moved to the right side, when we draft our next LT with the 9th overall (I'm not giving that one up boys, because Jacksonville will take Raji anyway)
UserPostedImage
beast
15 years ago

"porky88" wrote:

"beast" wrote:

That makes no sense....

"Megatron" wrote:

"beast" wrote:

http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=6024 

Yeah it's Packers chatter and I don't agree with everythign they said there but they have a point.

And how do you know Hawk can't become a great pass rusher?

It's not like he's gotten mainly chances..... it's not like he had a coach that knew how to coach it.... and Woodley and Harrison didn't light it up right away.

If fact both were coaches by the Packers OLB some this last offseason....

Just because hawk didn't rack up sacks in a complete non aggressive system for the LBers doesn't mean he can't become one in an aggressive system with a good coach......

Hawk was drafted to be a play maker.... for the first time in his career (while healthy) put him in a playmakers position at ROLB. Put Poppinga or Bishop in the role playing jack position.
UserPostedImage
porky88
15 years ago

"beast" wrote:

"porky88" wrote:

That makes no sense....

"beast" wrote:

"Megatron" wrote:

Yeah it's Packers chatter and I don't agree with everythign they said there but they have a point.

It's not like he's gotten mainly chances..... it's not like he had a coach that knew how to coach it.... and Woodley and Harrison didn't light it up right away.

Just because hawk didn't rack up sacks in a complete non aggressive system for the LBers doesn't mean he can't become one in an aggressive system with a good coach......

Hawk was drafted to be a play maker.... for the first time in his career (while healthy) put him in a playmakers position at ROLB. Put Poppinga or Bishop in the role playing jack position.

"beast" wrote:

I certainly don't agree with the article.

Hawk has had many chances to be the playmaker. He's played the weakside which is a playmaking position in Bob Sanders's defense and he was about average. He played middle linebacker which is the another playmaking position and he was below average. You know Playmakers will make plays and Hawk hasn't.

The good news is Nick Collins was shaky up until last year and I think Hawk is capable of having a similar fourth season as Collins had this past season.

The reason I think he'll be on the inside is because Hawk is a bad pass rusher. He's not quick off the ball and he takes awful angles. He's never good at getting after the quarterback in the NFL even when Bob Sanders sent him.

This isn't to say he'll never play on the outside in the 3-4. I expect GB to move guys around pending on the situation, but for the most part I think Hawk is penciled in as the starter in the middle.

I could be wrong about Hawk, but based on what I've seen out of him as a pass rusher so far I think it's unlikely he emerges as a stout pass rusher whom gets 10 sacks a year. James Harrison was a very rare find so I think comparing the two is apples and oranges.

As for Poppinga being overpaid in what Dakota said.

Think Poppinga as the KGB of 07. Not an every down player, but plays a role. Dom Capers is going to find a role for Poppinga some how and I also think Poppinga is an asset on special teams. He'll be overpaid, but if you've got the money then it's not like it's a huge concern in my opinion.
beast
15 years ago

"porky88" wrote:

"beast" wrote:

That makes no sense....

"porky88" wrote:

"beast" wrote:

"Megatron" wrote:

I certainly don't agree with the article.

Hawk has had many chances to be the playmaker. He's played the weakside which is a playmaking position in Bob Sanders's defense and he was about average. He played middle linebacker which is the another playmaking position and he was below average. You know Playmakers will make plays and Hawk hasn't.

The good news is Nick Collins was shaky up until last year and I think Hawk is capable of having a similar fourth season as Collins had this past season.

The reason I think he'll be on the inside is because Hawk is a bad pass rusher. He's not quick off the ball and he takes awful angles. He's never good at getting after the quarterback in the NFL even when Bob Sanders sent him.

This isn't to say he'll never play on the outside in the 3-4. I expect GB to move guys around pending on the situation, but for the most part I think Hawk is penciled in as the starter in the middle.

I could be wrong about Hawk, but based on what I've seen out of him as a pass rusher so far I think it's unlikely he emerges as a stout pass rusher whom gets 10 sacks a year. James Harrison was a very rare find so I think comparing the two is apples and oranges.

As for Poppinga being overpaid in what Dakota said.

Think Poppinga as the KGB of 07. Not an every down player, but plays a role. Dom Capers is going to find a role for Poppinga some how and I also think Poppinga is an asset on special teams. He'll be overpaid, but if you've got the money then it's not like it's a huge concern in my opinion.

"beast" wrote:

The OLB in Sander system weren't really playmaker position at all. Nether one was.

He was given a shot at MLB but he clearly wasn't 100%. He was playing hurt most or all of last season. You could tell he wasn't the same. I don't think he every recovered for the groin injury.

And yes he didn't do good blitzing with Sanders running the show but that could because he's never had someone that knew how to blitz coach him.

And with Sander system you could see a blitz coming a long way away.

Coach Greene helped the Steelers OLB because better blitzes by teaching them what to do. There was an article talking about it how he helped the LOLB alot and everyone else some, even the DL.

No one could get a sack on a blitz in Sander system other than Woodson and they was because the other teams could clearly read it because no one has thought those guys to blitz or to hide the blitz when it's coming.

Trying to blitz in that system was like working against the system it self because it wasn't made to ever blitz.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago
I don't think anyone who saw him play in college can argue that Hawk didn't have "it" in the past. what remains to be seen is if he still has "it".
UserPostedImage
porky88
15 years ago
Nobody could get a sack in the system because nobody was a good pass rusher outside of Aaron Kampman. That's why I'm also not content with Brady Poppinga starting either on the outside. I think certain players will need to find roles and pass rush is the most important role when it comes to making this system work.

I'm obviously guessing, but I don't think the second pass rusher is going to be a guy whom doesn't fit on the outside on paper and in the way he plays the game. Regardless I think the Packers know this and that's why I fully expect him to be in the middle this year.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (4h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (4h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (20h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (20h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (20h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (21h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.