August
  • August
  • Registered Topic Starter
15 years ago

Preliminary Depth Chart Taking Shape

by Mike Spofford, Packers.com
posted 02/20/2009

Speaking to the media in various settings on Friday at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, Head Coach Mike McCarthy and General Manager Ted Thompson started to drop some hints about what the base front seven will look like in the Packers' new 3-4 defense.

McCarthy and Thompson each spoke with the team's beat reporters, held a formal press conference, and also did interviews with Sirius NFL radio on Friday before heading into a weekend of player evaluations and interviews in preparation for the April draft.

In short, if the Packers were to line up for their first practice tomorrow on the 3-4 scheme, the starting defensive linemen would likely be Ryan Pickett at nose tackle and Cullen Jenkins and Johnny Jolly at the two defensive ends. Behind them would be Nick Barnett and A.J. Hawk as the two inside linebackers, and Aaron Kampman as one of the outside linebackers.

"You have a base defense depth chart, but you also have players that play multiple positions in base and so forth," McCarthy said. "But based on how our board is set, just to line guys up, that is accurate."

The other outside backer right now could be Brady Poppinga, though McCarthy said linebackers Brandon Chillar and Desmond Bishop could potentially play inside or outside in the new scheme, while Jeremy Thompson and Jason Hunter also would be in the mix at outside linebacker.

In addition, it's always possible, if not likely, that a new acquisition through free agency or the draft would compete for a starting job as well. So the rough alignment is by no means set in stone, but that appears to be a starting point for the new defense.

Starting point is the key phrase, though, because as Thompson and McCarthy both pointed out, the base defense with the actual 3-4 front will only be used about half the time. Nearly all NFL teams use what are referred to as "sub" packages, with five (nickel) and six (dime) defensive backs that vary the alignment up front.

That could make a player like Kampman, the Packers' only Pro Bowler among the current front seven
candidates, even more difficult to account for. Much has been made of Kampman transitioning from defensive end to outside linebacker, but the reality is he'll probably line up in a three-point stance at the line of scrimmage as often if not more often than in a two-point stance off the ball.

McCarthy feels with Kampman not necessarily lining up in the same spot all the time, he'll be harder for opposing offenses to target in game-planning. Either way, there's little concern about Kampman successfully making the switch and remaining an impact player.

"Specifically with Aaron, we think he has tremendous ability to change his quickness into power, which is one of the main things you're looking for from the '34' spot, because whether it's the tackle or the offensive running back turning out on you, you want to turn your speed into power, and we think he can do that," Thompson said.

"In terms of the dropping (into coverage) and things like that, Aaron's a better athlete -- everybody always ascribes him to be an overachiever, and I think he's a better football player, a better athlete than that. He's looking forward to it, he's excited about it, and we are too."

In addition to the other outside linebacker spot, though, that potential front-seven alignment does have a couple of question marks.

For one, Barnett is coming back from a torn ACL in his knee sustained in Week 10 at Minnesota last season. The start of training camp would be just under nine months from the time of the injury, and that appears to be the working target for Barnett's return at this point. That's not to say he won't be involved sooner, though, in on-field work learning the new defense, even if it's not at full speed.

"I would just say with this type of injury, there is always the need to be more cautious than rushing him out there," McCarthy said, later hinting that Barnett and Hawk as the two inside linebackers may be used more in pressure packages than in the past.

"I know with the defensive change, I know Nick's personality that he'll probably want to get out there sooner than later. But I think training camp would definitely be something that is a target. We'll see how he goes through the OTAs and maybe the last mini-camp there in June."

Jenkins also will be returning from a season-ending injury, though his torn pectoral muscle was sustained much earlier (Week 4 at Tampa Bay) and hence his surgery was much earlier as well.

Another factor in the depth on the defensive line will be Justin Harrell, the former first-round pick whose first two seasons have been marred by injuries. And while his current rehab is going intentionally slow, the back problems that cost him most of 2008 don't appear to require additional surgery, according to McCarthy.

Almost every member of the Packers' personnel department and coaching staff is in Indianapolis for the Combine, which continues into the early part of next week. The trip is actually a brief respite for the defensive coaches, who have been meeting on a daily basis to put together the playbook and the installation plan for the new defensive scheme, a process new defensive coordinator Dom Capers has gone through with multiple teams in the past.

"That's been impressive to watch," McCarthy said. "It's really going through every single page of the playbook, building the lesson plans for the first interaction with the players. They went through every aspect of the base defense, just completed yesterday for the most part the sub packages and the situational defenses. It's a very grueling, ongoing, detail-oriented, checking and re-checking process, and Dom has done a great job with that so far."

The players will get their first real taste of it in mid-March when the offseason program begins. Players and coaches work one-on-one during offseason sessions and that time will be crucial this year for defensive players to learn the basics of the new scheme, before full-squad OTAs and mini-camps take place later in the spring.

The immediate task on defense, however, is to evaluate the current college crop and find players best suited to succeed in the new scheme. Thompson said the new scheme doesn't really change how the scouting staff evaluates players, but it does have an effect on their ratings of players in terms of their potential value to the team.

"I keep saying this over and over and I might sound like a broken record, but football players are football players at the end of the day," Thompson said. "There are no prototype absolutes in football. There are guys that don't fit the prototype. James Harrison (of the Steelers), the NFL Defensive Player of the Year this year, he does not fit your prototype 3-4 outside linebacker, but he's a great player because he is a football guy."

Added McCarthy: "The change is more philosophical. What it does for your team from a personnel standpoint, it gives us an opportunity to be a bigger, more physical football team."

Ultimately, the Packers expect their new defense to provide two elements deemed necessary for success, particularly as four- and five-receiver sets are used more frequently by opposing offenses - consistent pressure on the quarterback and a level of unpredictability.

"You have to create as much confusion as you can on the quarterback, because the quarterback is running the show," Thompson said. "There has to be doubt in the offense's mind as to who's coming, when they're coming, and how they're coming. I think the '34' leads itself to be able to create more confusion from the offense's point of view. That's what we're trying to get to.

"Pressure on the quarterback is the No. 1 stopper of offenses. As skilled as the quarterbacks and receivers and tight ends and stuff are in this league, you cannot think you can stop them on a consistent basis if you just drop and let them know what you're doing all the time. So that's the whole point."

blank
porky88
15 years ago
Not surprising to me as I said this would be the depth chart from the get go, but Desmond Bishop on the outside is kind of the "shocker" to me. I think he's a pure inside backer and I think playing him on the outside signals that GB doesn't feel good about their other options there and that they're just going to go with the best other linebacker.

This hints at OLB at No. 9 IMO.
Rockmolder
15 years ago

This hints at OLB at No. 9 IMO.

"porky88" wrote:

I thought so aswell. We're still talking about Ted Thompson though, so you never know.

I'm also not to happy about Jolly - Pickett - Jenkins. Jenkins and Pickett can maybe get the job done, but I don't see Jolly as a good DE. I mean, they could barely pick up 2 O-lineman on a running play in the 4-3 together (Yes, I know, different scheme, but you get my point).

I hope we get Olshansky in or something. Not a real big named guy, but a solid player. Also, maybe drafting a NT/DE for a 3-4 in the 2nd round if Ted Thompson won't go with Raji.
go.pack.go.
15 years ago
I just want Raji or Brace...I can understand taking an OLB in the 1st though because there is a lot more talent that will be there then than in the 2nd. (ex. Orakpo / E. Brown / Maybin)
UserPostedImage
Dulak
15 years ago
I thought jolly did pretty decent this past year, and we will have jenkins back which will be nice.

I'm re-watching week 10s game with minnosota - and wow their front 4 sure put a beating on arod and our oline.

IMO the #9 spot has alot of choices for us - theres a few good OLBers (I prefer brown the most). Then theres raji (prefer brace thou), and then possibly jenkins (but most people see him off the charts by then),

Perhaps they will grab someone predicted much lower.

But then like you said we go the FA coming up and Olshansky looks decent to me also.
go.pack.go.
15 years ago

I thought jolly did pretty decent this past year, and we will have jenkins back which will be nice.

I'm re-watching week 10s game with minnosota - and wow their front 4 sure put a beating on arod and our oline.

IMO the #9 spot has alot of choices for us - theres a few good OLBers (I prefer brown the most). Then theres raji (prefer brace thou), and then possibly jenkins (but most people see him off the charts by then),

Perhaps they will grab someone predicted much lower.

But then like you said we go the FA coming up and Olshansky looks decent to me also.

"Dulak" wrote:

Yes Brown is extremely fast, but look at how strong Brian Orakpo is and he's extremely explosive off the edge. I'd much rather have a guy like Orakpo that can overpower offensive linemen than someone like Brown that would get eaten by lineman a lot.

Also, Aaron Maybin is going to be on the board at 9, but he's like a feather and would be eaten alive by the opposing OL.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (15h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (16h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (17h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (20h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (22h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (22h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (22h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (22h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (22h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (22h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (22h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (23h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (23h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (23h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (23h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.