Pack93z
15 years ago

That's what your OLB typically do anyways. You can put them in coverage sometimes. But your going to blitz AT LEAST one of them every down. If you blitz one or none then you are virtually going to create 0 pressure or only pressure from one side. So I mean you can mix it up, but for the most part I want them blitzing.

Dallas goes basically the whole game with the 5 man rush. the 2 OLB and the 3 man line. You can bring them in outside rushes or stunts or sometimes drop one back and bring Hawk/ Barnett.

Weather we get Taylor or not. We are going to be trying to get a BIG pass rushing OLB to play the right side.

"Rios39" wrote:

Agreed that they are rush first machines.. but by pairing Taylor and Kampman, you have little choice but to send them.

I will be ultra disappointed if our coverage schemes don't include the outside backers dropping a fair amount and varying where the pressure is coming from.. either that or moving Kampman around the alignment and sending him from multiple positions pre-snap.

Most of the benefit that a 3-4 gives is the ability to disguise where the pressure and coverage is coming from... having 2 backers than are coverage poor on the field more so than not, instead taking advantage of the scheme.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
15 years ago

He most certainly did NOT tail off in Miami. Yes he plays as an end but that's not where hes going to create pressure. He recorded 11 sacks his last year in Miami under Capers. How is that tailing off?

"Rios39" wrote:

I stand corrected.. he didn't fall off as much as I thought per the numbers..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Rios39
15 years ago

That's what your OLB typically do anyways. You can put them in coverage sometimes. But your going to blitz AT LEAST one of them every down. If you blitz one or none then you are virtually going to create 0 pressure or only pressure from one side. So I mean you can mix it up, but for the most part I want them blitzing.

Dallas goes basically the whole game with the 5 man rush. the 2 OLB and the 3 man line. You can bring them in outside rushes or stunts or sometimes drop one back and bring Hawk/ Barnett.

Weather we get Taylor or not. We are going to be trying to get a BIG pass rushing OLB to play the right side.

"pack93z" wrote:

Agreed that they are rush first machines.. but by pairing Taylor and Kampman, you have little choice but to send them.

I will be ultra disappointed if our coverage schemes don't include the outside backers dropping a fair amount and varying where the pressure is coming from.. either that or moving Kampman around the alignment and sending him from multiple positions pre-snap.

Most of the benefit that a 3-4 gives is the ability to disguise where the pressure and coverage is coming from... having 2 backers than are coverage poor on the field more so than not, instead taking advantage of the scheme.

"Rios39" wrote:

I'm sure there will be times they drop back...But how many times? I don't know? How many times does DeMarcus Ware and Greg Ellis drop back? Very rarely, but they have the ability to do it.

Taylor in particular with his speed can do that, he's a bit smaller. But you only want them to do it as a a "change up". Kampman can drop into the flat to try to cut off a pitch and catch to the RB. Or maybe he'll just zone in the middle. They'll definitely mix it up with them and bring heat from say Hawk instead, but they'll be the primary rushers, just like any 3-4 D.
blank
Pack93z
15 years ago
You are far more confident in Taylor's abilities at this point than mine...

As far as Dallas's defense.. there was a reason they allowed a 60+ percent completion ratio which was middle of the road, yet leading the league in sacks with 59... 8 more than any other team. With that type of pressure they should have dominated in passing defense..

Again.. would Taylor help the Packers.. I am sure he would, but would the cost be worth it.. both in terms of limitations on the field and dollars on the bottom line.
AJistheHawk50
15 years ago
the answer is no. i dont really see the point in debating this subject. do any of you actually expect Ted Thompson to even look at him?
blank
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago
I have to say, I'm not interested in Taylor. In the first place, his off-season actions the past few years strongly suggest that he's not as into playing as he once was. I think the guy's more interested in his post-NFL career than anything else.

And I bet he wouldn't come here, anyway - I think if he plays again he'll want to be somewhat confident he'll have a shot at a ring, and I doubt he sees the Packers as being able to get him that ring.

So he's old, his commitment to the game is questionable at this point, and I don't see him coming to GB even if he's asked.

Meh. Holliday's a lot more interesting to me at this point (and I think I've stumped for Olshansky enough at this point that it's obvious I'd like to see him in G&G.

Kampman, Olshansky/Holiday, Pick, Jenkins/Holiday, ? <---- that's where you put the stud 3-4 OLB we'll have drafted, rotating with guys like Thompson and the like. I like that a good bit better.
blank
buckeyepackfan
15 years ago
I remember watching VH last year against The Jets, couldn't believe, 1....He was still playing, and 2...He was playing at a high level.

Thinking back, I do believe an agent lost his job after promising Vonnie he could get him more money, then totally screwing things up with The Packers.

VH ended up signing with KC(after hiring a new agent) for less money than The Packers offered.(someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think that was how it played out).

The point is VH was well liked in Green Bay, and IMHO he could help The Packers in the short haul.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
I am nearly positive he signed for less than the Packers offered when he went to KC. He was a NC guy and I like NC so I was a little bummed when he bolted.

I'm not sure about the agent.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
15 years ago

Kansas City Chiefs that landed him on April 7, inking him to a five-year deal worth $21.3 million and a signing bonus of $4 million.

KC salary 

but nothing about how much Packers offered him then

but this place

Said Sherman didnt want to match KC 
longtimefan
15 years ago
Packers not after Holiday 

Packers not courting Holliday
By Greg A. Bedard of the Journal Sentinel

Mar. 4, 2009 8:52 a.m. | Green Bay -- The Packers are not among the five teams that have expressed interest in veteran 3-4 defensive end Vonnie Holliday since his release from the Miami Dolphins on Monday.

Holliday is set to visit two teams, the Denver Broncos and Detroit Lions, in the coming days. He is expected to visit an unidentified AFC East team as well.

Fan Shout
dfosterf (17m) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18m) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (38m) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (1h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (2h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (17h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.