15 years ago
Hell I had high hopes last season, until the wind was taken out of our sails after the losing battle to the Titans where both teams left it all on the field, and then the letdown loss in Minnesota the next week. After that the team fizzled at key moments late in games and we watched the season slip away.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago
Mass it all comes down to consistency..

Weekly I expect:

The offensive line come in and compete, winning a share of the battles and weekly being able to maintain some sort of running game.

The defensive line to stay within the box, not be on skates late in the game and getting pushed back.

The linebackers to fill gaps and make plays downhill in the running game, not AJ freaking Hawk sitting in the hole on his heels waiting for the back to plant his helmet into AJ chest.

I expect weekly the team to come out with a fire and intensity... not just playing the games out, no matter the freaking record.

I expect consistency in a positive matter, not weekly giving up the game late for one reason or another.

Mostly I expect at the end of the season to have more wins than loses and expect us to be at the very least playing the final weeks of the regular season with a legitimate shot at post season play.

Year 5 of any successful regime should be in such a position yearly.. yes we had down year, but two in a row isn't the mark of a to be Champion.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
15 years ago
I want consistency too. And tenacity. Consistenacity.

I'd add one factor though. The lack of key injuries. Completely uncontrollable but a huge factor.

I will say that the team can control internal consistency. Consistent results is hard/impossible to control. Rodgers is all about seeking internal consistency. Yet he knows they need to improve the consistency of the results.
UserPostedImage
IronMan
15 years ago

We lost too many games by 4 points or less because we got soft once we got into their red zones and took the easy 3 instead of getting the TDs.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

That pissed me off too. And two times it happened at the end of the first half, where we got in the redzone, with plenty of time to go for the endzone a few times, but instead Mike McCarthy sat on the ball to go for the "sure thing" field goal.

That's when the football gods stepped in. Both times Crosby missed the field goal; which was no doubt the football gods saying, "Coach, this is not how the game is supposed to be played."

That's what you get for being too conservative.
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago

There was steady progress in the first 3 years. Then came 2008. So if we have a good year in 2009, does 2008 become the hiccup, or do McCarthy/Thompson go back to one year from being on the verge of termination if things go south in 2010 or 2011 etc.?

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

First, this has a lot to do with one's opinion of how things have gone to this point. Me personally, if the team does well in 09 (for now I'll define "does well" as a significantly better than .500 record and at the very least being in the hunt for a playoff berth - that probably seems like a low bar, but if the Vikings get a good-to-decent QB, I'll have to objectively say that they should be a better team), then '08 is obviously a hiccup. In truth, I do see '08 as a hiccup already, mostly because the team was so demolished by injuries.

HOWEVER, I do have concerns that - given the rather enormous question marks surrounding guys like Jolly and Harrel, and given the switch to a new defensive scheme - Thompson's insistence (thus far) on sticking with "who the hell is that" FA signings and the draft is going to turn into a problem. I do have some concerns that he's not doing all he can to fill out this roster - I'll add that I've never been screaming for big-name FA players, so I'm no "hater". I just feel that standing pat at this point is a risky maneuver - but if it works out, I'll be happy to applaud the guy for it.

Finally, I'm not saying anyone should be fired if the team doesn't straighten out and improve next year - I personally don't think that's fair or at all a good way to run an NFL franchise. But whether anyone likes it or not, Thompson and McCarthy have the stink of last year's offseason on them, and that dissipated a lot of goodwill. Fair or not, I do see some possible changes made if they can't get things on the right track in '09.
blank
warhawk
15 years ago
Well, I hate to shatter everybody's thought process but if you look at the situation realistically I HIGHLY doubt we would see a change in GM or HC at the end of this year.

A) Mike McCarthy has the offense up to 5th in the NFL and the OL hasn't even been that good.
B) They have just now employed the new 3-4 and hopefully that will resolve the late game collapse trend that bit us last year. IF it is good this year, and I expect it to be, all it will do is get better.

If it doesn't go great you can the coach (who will immediately be picked up by another team) and is one of the best offensive guys in the game?

You throw Ted Thompson under the bus? A guy that was just GM of the Year (and will also get a new job before you get the first post-TT cup of coffee down?

You start ALL OVER AGAIN with a new coach and GM after bringing what has been for TWO YEARS NOW the youngest team in the NFL?

Does anyone want to consider that Mike McCarthy has taken an offense that has seen a tremendous amount of transition in personnel from the QB to the RB's to the interior of the OL to many new faces at WR and ALL out of the draft and they finish FIFTH in the freaking league?

Who the hell you going to get to top that?

I will make a standing bet. If we fire Mike McCarthy he will be rehired as HC by another team BEFORE we can find a new one. You might want to think about that.
"The train is leaving the station."
Pack93z
15 years ago

I want consistency too. And tenacity. Consistenacity.

I'd add one factor though. The lack of key injuries. Completely uncontrollable but a huge factor.

I will say that the team can control internal consistency. Consistent results is hard/impossible to control. Rodgers is all about seeking internal consistency. Yet he knows they need to improve the consistency of the results.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

If an offensive lineman consistently comes out, plays with leverage and proper technique.. he will consistently provide about the same output.. some matchup's might not be favorable, but consistency will help level the playing field.

Same mantra for the linebackers and defensive lineman.. hell every position on the field.

I hate the Patriot comparisons for the most part, however this is really where they make differences... they make mistakes on players via the draft and free agency, or they might not always have the most talent.

But name me a time when you have seen a player step in for them and completely fail.. rarely.. it is because they are focused on the basics of the game and the scheme that they run.

Wanna win.. you better be consistent week in and out fundamentally.

Last season.. we didn't have that.. and it cost us dearly in the crunch.. period.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
15 years ago

Well, I hate to shatter everybody's thought process but if you look at the situation realistically I HIGHLY doubt we would see a change in GM or HC at the end of this year.

A) Mike McCarthy has the offense up to 5th in the NFL and the OL hasn't even been that good.
B) They have just now employed the new 3-4 and hopefully that will resolve the late game collapse trend that bit us last year. IF it is good this year, and I expect it to be, all it will do is get better.

If it doesn't go great you can the coach (who will immediately be picked up by another team) and is one of the best offensive guys in the game?

You throw Ted Thompson under the bus? A guy that was just GM of the Year (and will also get a new job before you get the first post-Ted Thompson cup of coffee down?

You start ALL OVER AGAIN with a new coach and GM after bringing what has been for TWO YEARS NOW the youngest team in the NFL?

Does anyone want to consider that Mike McCarthy has taken an offense that has seen a tremendous amount of transition in personnel from the QB to the RB's to the interior of the OL to many new faces at WR and ALL out of the draft and they finish FIFTH in the freaking league?

I will make a standing bet. If we fire Mike McCarthy he will be rehired as HC by another team BEFORE we can find a new one. You might want to think about that.

"warhawk" wrote:

While it is questionable if they would be axed, a lot depends on how this teams shows this year.. personally I think we have a hell of a lot better chance of success than failure..

While you point to the offensive success, we have been just as inconsistent on the defensive side of the ball.. he threw the assistants under the bus this season.. rightfully so, but ultimately he is responsible for their showing.

As far as Ted, I think alot depends on the players themselves.. he is being very bold with his stance and belief in his players.. many of these youngsters haven't lived up to their billing yet.. actually more of them have not than have as far as draft choices.. we have a ton of talent.. their is no doubt about that, but is it spread out equally along the team?

Reality is, Mike McCarthy is reliant upon Ted and Ted is reliant upon Mike McCarthy and his staff.. all for one and one for all...

For them to be shown the door it would take a major collapse this year.. but any sub par showing and the ice will be awfully thin.

But it is all just talk, because there is no freaking way this team finishes below .500 this season.. none. I would almost be willing to make a Peppers type statement on the... almost.
IronMan
15 years ago

You throw Ted Thompson under the bus? A guy that was just GM of the Year (and will also get a new job before you get the first post-Ted Thompson cup of coffee down?

"warhawk" wrote:

IF we have another losing season, it will be one winning season in 5 years. At what point, in your opinion, does Ted need to start winning?
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
If we don't get 8 or more wins this year, I say can McCarthy and bring in Bill Cowhwer or Mike Shanahan.

4 - 12
8 - 8
13 - 3
6 - 10

If we have another losing season it'll be 3 losing seasons out of 5. (no I won't sugar coat like ... someone else) conversely if we have a winning season it's only the second time out of 5.

No matter how you try to spin it, it doesn't look good. I'm even willing to let Ted have a 'pass' on year one, even doing that, still not good.

Someone mentioned were the youngest team for the 2nd or 3rd consecutive season. That's on Ted, that's not a positive. That means we lack veteran leadership and a GM who can bring in veteran leadership or a coach who can't mature young talent into veteran leaders.

The Mike and Ted duo needs to produce and it needs to be seen on the field, NOW, this year.

Playoffs or heads roll (unless we see SIGNIFICANT improvement in the last half of the season that provides encouragement for the following year).
UserPostedImage