Trippster
15 years ago

What I find interesting is that almost all of these "key" people were in the organization when Sherman was here too. Yet he was fired partly, because of his poor personell decisions.

"longtimefan" wrote:

Could it be that he over ruled what the "key people" wanted him to do?

"Trippster" wrote:

I understand that to be the case, however, we really didn't hear about it til the end. I guess it is possible that Thompson could be the same way. I would think not, and it sounds like that is not the case.

When you are in charge (Thopson) you rise or fall based on your support. Wether we want to blame him soley or not, he is responsible for the final decisions, just as ultimately, McCarthey is accountable for the poor defense last year.
"Let Your Light Shine!"
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago

When you are in charge (Thopson) you rise or fall based on your support. Wether we want to blame him soley or not, he is responsible for the final decisions, just as ultimately, McCarthey is accountable for the poor defense last year.

"Trippster" wrote:

Agreed, but that doesn't mean a true fan of the organization has to close a blind eye to the big picture.

Weekly I manage my Boss and listen closely to those that report to me and those that I supply within the organization.. not only does it create less work and better communications.. it ultimately closes the loop on the direction of the company and keeps us marching forward to success.

Big picture management..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
The Sherman argument can be summed up very easily.

Sherman micromanaged.
Thompson delegates.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
15 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

Agreed, but that doesn't mean a true fan of the organization has to close a blind eye to the big picture.

Weekly I manage my Boss and listen closely to those that report to me and those that I supply within the organization.. not only does it create less work and better communications.. it ultimately closes the loop on the direction of the company and keeps us marching forward to success.

Big picture management..

"Trippster" wrote:

Here I thought all you did was moderate the forum. Where do find all the time? Are you going to show your company a picture of you being dressed in drag after our draft day trade with Carolina? :icon_smile:
UserPostedImage
vegOmatic
15 years ago

"Trippster" wrote:

The stupidity and drama that keeps coming around comes from those who blame Ted Thompson for not caving in to every silly wish from Brett Favre.
blank
buckeyepackfan
15 years ago

Sherman micromanaged.
Thompson delegates.

"SlickVision" wrote:

Don't forget MS's teams won more than they lost, as of today that can't be said about TT's teams.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

Sherman micromanaged.
Thompson delegates.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

Don't forget MS's teams won more than they lost, as of today that can't be said about Ted Thompson's teams.

"SlickVision" wrote:

Don't forget Sherman inherited a solid team. Don't forget Thompson inherited a team on a rapid decline from Sherman. Don't forget Sherman had Favre in his prime. Don't forget that once Wolf's players started being replaced with Sherman's players we won, less, and less, and less.

Yes, lets not forget.

With that said, 4 8 13 6 win seasons ... garbage! Thompson can have a mulligan on year one, fine. Year two, three and four should be improvements over the prior year. Eight wins, nice. Thirteen wins, great. Six, what, SIX wins? WTF happened! Unacceptable. We lost too many games by four or five points or less.

My personal opinion on losing close games is often related to not having veteran leadership to help group guys together to make that final push for the win. To give that motivation, that hope, that "we can do it" feeling.

We don't have that and that falls on Thompson's shoulders.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
15 years ago

Sherman micromanaged.
Thompson delegates.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

Don't forget MS's teams won more than they lost, as of today that can't be said about Ted Thompson's teams.

"SlickVision" wrote:

True, but the fact remains MS walked into a loaded boat of RW's personnel and as time went by never made the team better. From the time he got there until they fired him the "D" went downhill and he never got the players in behind what was a very good offense but getting older.

He was one of the few and fortunate men to be named GM at a time when the team was pretty much loaded. There was a HUGE difference in where the personnel level was at when he came on board and when Ted Thompson got here.

Over his entire tenure we were LUCKY if we got one player a year out of the draft that turned into a contributer AND by the time he left the Cap was a wreck.

Apples and oranges.
"The train is leaving the station."
porky88
15 years ago
I've gone back and forth with so many people on the Sherman arguement.

I'll sum it up like this.

Mike Sherman won with Ron Wolf's players. Sherman as a good head coach can be argued, but he was a far worse GM than Thompson. A lot of the players he drafted are out of the league.
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago

Mike Sherman won with Ron Wolf's players. Sherman as a good head coach can be argued, but he was a far worse GM than Thompson. A lot of the players he drafted are out of the league.

"porky88" wrote:

To be candidly honest.. Ted and Co. track record with picks still in the league from 05 and 06 isn't stellar either.. Murphy was due to injury.. you maybe can put Underwood in that same group..

But definitely not stellar just to be fair.

Year  	Rnd  	Pick  	 			Pos  	Status
2006	1	5	A.J. Hawk 		LB 	
2006	2	47	Daryn Colledge 		T 	
2006	2	52	Greg Jennings 		WR 	
2006	3	67	Abdul Hodge 		LB 	
2006	3	75	Jason Spitz 		G 	
2006	4	104	Cory Rodgers 		WR 	Out of League
2006	4	115	Will Blackmon 		DB 	
2006	5	148	Ingle Martin 		QB 	
2006	5	165	Tony Moll 		T 	
2006	6	183	Johnny Jolly 		DT 	
2006	7	253	Dave Tollefson 		DE 	Out of League
2005	1	24	Aaron Rodgers 		QB 	
2005	2	51	Nick Collins 		DB 	
2005	2	58	Terrence Murphy 	WR 	Out of League
2005	4	115	Marviel Underwood 	DB 	Out of League
2005	4	125	Brady Poppinga 		LB 	
2005	5	143	Junius Coston 		G 	
2005	5	167	Michael Hawkins 	DB 	Out of League
2005	6	180	Mike Montgomery 	DT 	
2005	6	195	Craig Bragg 		WR 	Out of League
2005	7	245	Kurt Campbell 		DB 	Out of League
2005	7	246	Will Whitticker 	G 	Out of League

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
49m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

19-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.