ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago

And getting the deal done while the market didn't demand a bigger price tag.

"pack93z" wrote:

A big +1. I think all the "too soon" people are stuck in some era prior to the current FA era, because teams that drag their heels in cases like this end up with disgruntled players who they end up paying more when they finally realize they do need the guy.

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

The "too soon" part for me, is that 8 or so games into his tenure a starting QB was a risk by Ted. He still had a year and a half left on his deal at a decent salary, performance to that point was limited to x amount of games. Is it really that big of deal, no it worked out in the end, Rodgers had a decent second half to late part of the season. But at that point.. yes it was a risk.

What strikes me funny is some of the same people stirred because you mention the Rodgers deal as premature, are some of the same ones arguing the Grant and Williams shouldn't be allowed to get paid properly because they are caught in a loophole of the CBA. (Not pointed at anyone in particular, just a general statement of opinion in the Williams thread.)

Rodgers had time left on his deal, yet these kids that made it through the grinds of the UDFA pool shouldn't be allowed to bargain or ask to be paid fairly, even though they have proven themselves upon the field.

All I am saying with the Rodgers deal, at the point it was struck, it was a bigger risk for the Packers because of the small sector of games he played in.

But your market analogy is fair... no arguing that, and hence why I don't have issue with either Grant or Williams getting paid fairly even when the system is rigged against them.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

I totally agree on guys like Grant and Williams, and overall I'm one of those somewhat-rare fans that doesn't have a problem with these guys wanting to get paid. They have a finite window of time to make money from a sport they've devoted their lives to playing, and the NFL generates an obscene amount of money, literally on their backs. If the industry I work in generated that kind of coin, I guarantee you that I'd be asking for my fair share. And especially when you're talking about UDFA players, they have yet to make any money, comparatively.

Yes, there was some risk involved with re-upping Rodgers when they did, but they obviously saw enough (I'm sure his fill-in work the previous season, especially the Dallas game, was also factored in) to convince them that he was the franchise QB. That being the case, locking him up when they did both ensured that they weren't going to end up with another attitude problem and saved them some money, because he was only going to get more expensive.
blank
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

I fail to see how Rodgers was thrown into an "ideal situation." Yes, he had three years to sit behind a legend -- a legend, I might add, who stated publicly it wasn't his job to teach his successor the ropes -- but he was thrown into a situation in which a) a sizable contingent of fans, rather than giving him a fair shot, chose instead to openly ridicule and revile him; and b) he had to play with a defense which, despite the offense putting the team into position to win, time and time again collapsed late in the games, setting his spectacular efforts at naught.

Rodgers' predecessor came in with zero expectations. Rodgers came in with the world on his shoulders. I don't think he gets enough credit for that.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

After thinking about this more, that's not true. Favre was traded for a 1st round pick. That weighs some expectations.

Take Alex Smith vs Aaron Rodgers. No one can argue that Rodgers was in the ideal situation and Smith was thrown into a bad situation.

Rodgers was here when we won only four games, he was here when we won 13. He's seen the highs and the lows and now has experience on how to handle them both shown to him by a legend. Smith has not had that.

Rodgers is in the ideal position with the ideal team with the ideal coach and with the ideal fans. Yes, some fans are being stupid, but guess what, MANY fans wanted Favre GONE after his first and second season. I could be mistaken, but if I recall correctly the lashing Brett took was far greater than the one Rodgers has gotten.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
Excellent points I hadn't considered.
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago

I fail to see how Rodgers was thrown into an "ideal situation." Yes, he had three years to sit behind a legend -- a legend, I might add, who stated publicly it wasn't his job to teach his successor the ropes -- but he was thrown into a situation in which a) a sizable contingent of fans, rather than giving him a fair shot, chose instead to openly ridicule and revile him; and b) he had to play with a defense which, despite the offense putting the team into position to win, time and time again collapsed late in the games, setting his spectacular efforts at naught.

Rodgers' predecessor came in with zero expectations. Rodgers came in with the world on his shoulders. I don't think he gets enough credit for that.

"SlickVision" wrote:

After thinking about this more, that's not true. Favre was traded for a 1st round pick. That weighs some expectations.

Take Alex Smith vs Aaron Rodgers. No one can argue that Rodgers was in the ideal situation and Smith was thrown into a bad situation.

Rodgers was here when we won only four games, he was here when we won 13. He's seen the highs and the lows and now has experience on how to handle them both shown to him by a legend. Smith has not had that.

Rodgers is in the ideal position with the ideal team with the ideal coach and with the ideal fans. Yes, some fans are being stupid, but guess what, MANY fans wanted Favre GONE after his first and second season. I could be mistaken, but if I recall correctly the lashing Brett took was far greater than the one Rodgers has gotten.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Hmm. For one, I'm not sure I can compare the two, if for no other reason than back when Favre came up there wasn't a proliferation of things like this fan board where fan reaction is so easy to see. For another, I don't recall ever hearing about any fans sending their children to cuss out and verbally abuse Favre.

But I certainly do recall the wailing and gnashing of teeth when our Majik Man was benched for a hillbilly with horrible decision-making skills. Which of course is why it's so stupid when it happens with Rodgers now - fans never get it.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
In all fairness, however, Rodgers DOESN'T have terrible decision-making skills, which only accentuates the injustice of the way he was treated by supposedly "the best fans in the NFL."
UserPostedImage
15 years ago
Rodgers up to that point had been nothing but a model player and person. He wasn't a "hillbilly" drinking Jaeger and running scatterbrained all over the field. He didn't in any way deserve any of it. Some could argue that Favre sort of brought some of the criticism upon himself early on. And as much as Majik was liked by the fans, it was nothing compared to Favre. (I'm going to stop now, because Kornheiser's Week 1 commentary is rising up from the back corners of my brain where I keep the bad stuff, and I'm swallowing back bile).
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Let's not say someone sent their kids to cuss out Rodgers. One kid did it on his own accord.

The point I'm making is that Brett was not instantly loved and adored like some are perceiving it to have happened.

Some have forgotten that Majik was still adored by many many fans and wanted him back in the line up.
UserPostedImage
15 years ago
That's a given, but I don't think it's comparable. If Favre faced pressure replacing a liked player, it was something on par with about 50 other players per year, and on a team with no great history of success. The media wouldn't shut up about the task Rodgers faced. Hell, people were calling it the hardest starting job in the NFL EVER.
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago

Let's not say someone sent their kids to cuss out Rodgers. One kid did it on his own accord.

The point I'm making is that Brett was not instantly loved and adored like some are perceiving it to have happened.

Some have forgotten that Majik was still adored by many many fans and wanted him back in the line up.

"SlickVision" wrote:

I agree with your main point, absolutely. I don't agree that Favre had it worse when he came up. As much as the fans liked Majik, that in no way compares to the god complex they projected on Favre.

Put it this way: I've read suggestions on sites like this one that Rodgers was even somehow behind Favre's ouster; that he threw some fit behind the scenes demanding to either start already or be traded. Ludicrous stuff, and I don't recall hearing anything even close to that sort of thing about Favre.

So no, Brett was most certainly not instantly loved. But he was also not faced with the same amount of fan resistance that Rodgers was (and is still dealing with).
blank
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Majik was a fan favorite. I don't know how anyone can deny it. Either you weren't paying attention or you did not live in Green Bay or close to it, because he was a huge fan favorite and when he went down. Fans lost hope, the little we had.

The comment about Rodgers whining behind the scenes, no. We can start another one if you'd like. Charles Woodson secretly whined behind the scenes that he wanted Brett out because he couldn't play in the cold anymore. See how easy that is? Now you can go to another website and say you heard Woodson whined about wanting Favre out behind the scenes. lol.

The switch from Majik to Favre, no where near the switch from Favre to Rodgers. What made it worse for Rodgers was Favre unretiring and then going public with everything he could think of.

The media was not too relevant during '92 as it was in '08. When everything you say and do is recorded, printed, YouTube'd, blogged, etc, it makes it helluva lot harder.

Rodgers has a harder path than Favre when it comes to a media standpoint. When it comes to football, Rodgers had a better situation than Favre. Favre didn't even know what a Cover 2 was when he started. Or some defensive scheme, I can't recall which one he said.

The two situations are different, way different, yes.
UserPostedImage