dhpackr
14 years ago

By this logic then signing Albert Haynesworth wouldn't of made the Packers better.

An upgrade is an upgrade know matter where it is. Whether it's in coaching or as backup players. Is Duke Preston and Anthony Smith upgrades? The answer is probably as they're better than the second stringers they're replacing. Is Dom Capers? I would say so.

I agree that the starters need upgrades, but you shouldn't dismissed an upgrade know matter what it might be.

"porky88" wrote:

So, you are thinking the hiring of Capers is an upgrade and therefore the Packers if they stay healthy, will be a better team??

I think this is Ted Thompson fifth year as GM, and i feel we need an upgrade at his position

here is some more interesting facts:
Ted Thompson has not done anything in free agency for the past three seasons.
he has one winning season in four years
overall, his record as gm is a losing record at 31-33

the packers better do well in 2009 b/c sooner or later Ted Thompson record will come under the spotlight.
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
porky88
14 years ago

By this logic then signing Albert Haynesworth wouldn't of made the Packers better.

An upgrade is an upgrade know matter where it is. Whether it's in coaching or as backup players. Is Duke Preston and Anthony Smith upgrades? The answer is probably as they're better than the second stringers they're replacing. Is Dom Capers? I would say so.

I agree that the starters need upgrades, but you shouldn't dismissed an upgrade know matter what it might be.

"dhpackr" wrote:

So, you are thinking the hiring of Capers is an upgrade and therefore the Packers if they stay healthy, will be a better team??

I think this is Ted Thompson fifth year as GM, and i feel we need an upgrade at his position

the packers better do well in 2009 b/c sooner or later Ted Thompson record will come under the spotlight.

"porky88" wrote:

I think they'll be better. Better coaches get the most out of players know matter what the talent.

My concern is they might only be 8 or 9 wins. That's better than last year, but still not where you want to be in the 5th season of a regime. For me, it's playoffs or bust this year. Will they make it? Right now I don't think so. I think their on the bubble and adding a free agent would put them over.

I do have an open mind though as nothing is set in stone.

My point is nobody should dismiss an upgrade know matter where it is. I get the criticism and I agree with it, but certain things just go overboard.
wils0646
14 years ago

"dhpackr" wrote:

Anything? Brandon Chillar was a pretty intricate piece of our defense last year (no matter how poorly they played).
The Pack Will Be Back.
dd80forever
14 years ago

"wils0646" wrote:

Anything? Brandon Chillar was a pretty intricate piece of our defense last year (no matter how poorly they played).

"dhpackr" wrote:

There is the problem though. He brought in Chillar, who saw time, and you are using that as a basis to the fact that Ted does sign FA.

Then you state "no matter how poorly they played". That's what is frustrating. I'm not knocking Chillar at all. In spots he is a nice backup. However instead of Ted addressing the average play from Poppinga buy UPGRADING he went out and got an average guy to back him up.
blank
longtimefan
14 years ago

"dd80forever" wrote:

"wils0646" wrote:

There is the problem though. He brought in Chillar, who saw time, and you are using that as a basis to the fact that Ted does sign FA.

Then you state "no matter how poorly they played". That's what is frustrating. I'm not knocking Chillar at all. In spots he is a nice backup. However instead of Ted addressing the average play from Poppinga buy UPGRADING he went out and got an average guy to back him up.

"dhpackr" wrote:

You say he hasnt done anything..proven wrong, your view changes to he is an okay back up....

Should just said Ted hasnt got any full time good starters in past 3 years
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago

"porky88" wrote:

"dhpackr" wrote:

I think they'll be better. Better coaches get the most out of players know matter what the talent.

My concern is they might only be 8 or 9 wins. That's better than last year, but still not where you want to be in the 5th season of a regime. For me, it's playoffs or bust this year. Will they make it? Right now I don't think so. I think their on the bubble and adding a free agent would put them over.

I do have an open mind though as nothing is set in stone.

My point is nobody should dismiss an upgrade know matter where it is. I get the criticism and I agree with it, but certain things just go overboard.

"porky88" wrote:

I'm pretty much right in step w/ Porky on this, though I am trying very hard to be patient and wait until all the offseason movement is over before I say anything one way or another - Woodson was a late FA addition, so I'm still holding out some hope that post-draft Thompson will make a couple additional moves.

If he doesn't, though, and if the team can't crack the playoffs, then I agree that the front office situation will need to be examined. I don't see last year's injury issues repeating, and Rodgers will be a second-year starter with a solid first year under his belt, so there really isn't a lot in the way of excuses if they don't excel this season.
blank
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Dhpackr - Our problems on D were two-fold:

1) When Cullen Jenkins went down, our DL went to ****. We made a huge mistake thinking Bustin can fill Corey Williams' shoes. KGB lost a step and generated NO pressure from the other side, so opponents simply doubled up on Kampy and the opposing QB used to sit in the pocket, do a line of coke, text message his best friend, call his mother, check how his stocks are doing, then look for an open receiver.

This falls on TT.

2) We'd start the game with a Defensive scheme. The scheme will fall apart, and the Coaching staff would fail to make adjustments. This falls on MM. Well, Mike McCarthy fixed the problem by firing his defensive coaching staff and hiring studs. Problem most likely fixed.

As for #1, Ted Thompson NEEDS to either pick up two DL studs either in the draft or FA. I don't care. I want two DL studs (one for depth). When Kampy starts seeing one guy TRYING to block him again, expect double digit sacks.

A failure in #1 in '09 could cost us a winning record and TT's job. Fix #1 and expect a 10-6 or better season.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
DakotaT
14 years ago

"dd80forever" wrote:

"wils0646" wrote:

"dhpackr" wrote:

You and Dhazer try this concept on for size for once: Teams do not let good players get to free agency. And the top players always go to the warm weather cities as their first choice instead of freezing their nuts off in Green Bay. As a result we have to way overpay.

BTW, which linebacker would have been better than Chillar, to go along with your upgrading theory? Don't just sit there spouting about what Thompson doesn't do. Give us the name of this phantom linebacker and what it would have taken to get him here.

Chillar was brought in to neutralize tight ends. You do know Dallas has a real good one that keeps torching us and they were the top team in the NFC going into last season?

I don't mean to rip you guys, but your negativity eats away at me.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
14 years ago
Wow my understudy of the Darkside is coming along fast in dh lol. Dakota do we have to prove anything other then just stating what record Ted Thompson has? I remember back in Wolfes run as gm after we got Reggie we had plenty of FA's that came to Green Bay, but now i see us back to the place noone wants to go to.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
14 years ago

Wow my understudy of the Darkside is coming along fast in dh lol. Dakota do we have to prove anything other then just stating what record Ted Thompson has? I remember back in Wolfes run as gm after we got Reggie we had plenty of FA's that came to Green Bay, but now i see us back to the place noone wants to go to.

"dhazer" wrote:

In case you haven't noticed, and by reading some of your posts, you haven't; the free agency era is dead. Teams have a much better handle on how to retain their players because they have experts to run their cap. There are few free agents to go obtain. Are Canty and Ohlshansky so awesome that were suppose to just throw the red carpet out to them. Reggie White's signing was 15 years ago or ancient history. Now get off the guy's back. With the exception of Harrell and Terrence Murphy's injury, Ted has done very well in the draft and has our cap in a very healthy place.

Let me ask you something DH - would you have given Haynesworth a $100M contract? We could have swung that, but we also would have risked losing Jennings, Kampmann, and Collins. Let the Daniel Snyders be fools, we'll keep our team in tact.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (11h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (12h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (14h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (15h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (18h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (19h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Around The NFL / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.