longtimefan
15 years ago

You ever dance with the devil on a pale moon night?

"dhazer" wrote:

Thought I didnt catch that eh Joker?
dfosterf
15 years ago

And yet we still have members here who persist in ridiculing that pick!

"dd80forever" wrote:

I think you are exaggerating it a bit. Nobody is ridiculing the pick that I have seen at least.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Don't worry dd80forever, I reported that post to the moderators. Lotta troublemakers around here, and I for one am wondering who the hell is runnin' the show.
DakotaT
15 years ago

The whole premise of this entire thread will be moot by the time of our 9th pick, as Cleveland is taking Crabtree. We will be looking at a board that has Sanchez on it, and possibly Raji. We are trading back with Denver, in order that they can get Sanchez, not because Orton sucks, but because he might suck and that moron coach will need a plan B to place in front of those fans that are going to have to endure watching the Broncos get their asses beat repeatedly this year. Call it his "Ya but, at least we have our future QB-reach pick". He has to do it because SF might be thinking the same thing, the Jets the same, crazy Dan Snyder, etc. We are going to hang onto the edge of our seats and pray that Oher remains until we pick, Ted is going to pick him, and we will have another selection to address another need, reasonably early in the draft. How do I know all of this? Because I have to know this in order to remain reasonably sane until our next pick in the second round, where I fully intend to start the insanity process all over again, as soon as the card is handed in for the first round selection...that's why. :thumbleft:

And on draft day this will be the consensus of 90% of the PackersHome forum. Why? I'm not sure, call it a prediction.

"dfosterf" wrote:

I believe a trade down happens too, if Sanchez is there. My question to you is would you rather trade to a higher seeded team in the first and get a third and fifth, or would you rather trade to a lower seeded team in the first and pick up a second rounder?

I would rather trade to the Jets and get their second than trade to the Broncos. I have this loathing hatred feeling towards that dirty franchise, and I hope trading away Cutler sets them back a decade.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
15 years ago
Dakota

The reason I like Denver is because I think that we would be able get their 79th pick in addition to the swap for their 12th. I absolutely understand what you are saying about the Jets...reasonable to assume we would get their 52nd pick (2nd rounder)in addition to their 17th. Just to interject another "early" trader, if Boy Wonder sets his eyes on Sanchez, it would be the 80th pick, in addition to their 13th.

Denver is best, because it is extremely likely that it costs us nothing, player-wise, in the first round. We would still get Oher. Even if one of the other in between teams took him, it would free up one of the other picks we bandy about here. 17 is pushing it for both Oher and some of the "nothing lost" alternative players. I just think it would be quite nice to get a third round player and not only not have to give anything up for it player-wise, but also freeing up a little coin in the bargain, not that I care that much about the latter, but according to so very many, Ted Thompson does.

I look at the players in groups and tiers. The 1st OT tier stops at Oher, imo. I don't think Ted Thompson would draft Andre Smith, so he's off that tier. The 1st NT tier begins and ends with Raji (That tier sucks, relative to all others, btw) The top DE tier is probably Orakpo, etc. etc. etc.

I guess my answer is top tier player, no sacrifice with Denver.

Seahawks are probably going to wake up by draft day and make this question also moot and take Sanchez.

Assuming Cleveland takes Crabtree, in that scenario we are one crazy Al Davis/Howard Hughes crazy ass draft pick away from having some seriously improved options than what could otherwise be expected at 9, and someone may STILL reach to get the THIRD quarterback in line, Josh Freeman, not because he is so incredibly awesome, but because of the hopefully rabid fight to get him before "that other team" does.

These things ARE possible...

Perhaps not overwhelmingly probable, but...
dhazer
15 years ago
I know this is off topic but why is it people are so into getting more draft picks and like that Ted Thompson does that? If i remember correctly i think Packz reported that we have less players we can carry on the roster this year; so more picks just means more picks that will probably be cut from the team. I could be wrong but say we trade like a 3rd for maybe like two 4ths and a 5th. So instead of getting a possible starter we have 3 guys that probably won't make the team. Like i said i just dont get that whole trade down idea to get more bodies that Ted Thompson loves to do.

Also we all know Ted Thompson will draft a wr (just like Millen) he does it every year. So why not take Crabtree if he is there. I will be purchasing his jersey no matter what team he plays for 🙂
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
We have fewer guys we can take into training camp (80 instead of the 86 we use to have). The final roster is the same size: 53 men on the active plus 6 on the practice squad.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago

We have fewer guys we can take into training camp (80 instead of the 86 we use to have). The final roster is the same size: 53 men on the active plus 6 on the practice squad.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Correct.. the final roster is 53 with 47 active I believe on game day.

But six less (I believe the number is actually 7) camp bodies is a big deal.. that lessens the margin for error or the luxury of having a little roster protection at some spots.

Hence, my agreement about not adding a veteran DE or NT until the draft shakes out and we see where we sit. Then make decisions on positions and fill areas where concerns are.

But back to the topic at hand.. that is where we have to garner the best possible player we can at 9... regardless of the position that player plays.. if it is Crabtree it gives us options to bolster other areas of need via trade or whatnot.

Honestly, I hope we swing a trade and drop if not one of the tackles..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Cheesey
15 years ago

I know this is off topic but why is it people are so into getting more draft picks and like that Ted Thompson does that? If i remember correctly i think Packz reported that we have less players we can carry on the roster this year; so more picks just means more picks that will probably be cut from the team. I could be wrong but say we trade like a 3rd for maybe like two 4ths and a 5th. So instead of getting a possible starter we have 3 guys that probably won't make the team. Like i said i just dont get that whole trade down idea to get more bodies that Ted Thompson loves to do.

Also we all know Ted Thompson will draft a wr (just like Millen) he does it every year. So why not take Crabtree if he is there. I will be purchasing his jersey no matter what team he plays for :)

"dhazer" wrote:

Because the more picks ("bodies") you have, the more chances you have of getting SOMEONE out of the group that can actually play.
Just look at every 1st round pick from last year. There are some that are doing OK, some are a bust, some are so-so. And every year you see some late round guy that ends up doing more then any of the "draft guru's" thought.
Driver was what, a 7th round pick i believe? You can go over the draft each year, and see who surprised everyone........good AND bad.
The "can't miss" pick, that misses. The "unknown" that steps up and has a great season.
The more people you have, the more chances you have of getting someone good.
Usually after the first few picks, it pretty much is an even playing field anyway. All the "future stars" (who might or might not be so) are already gone.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
15 years ago

Also we all know Ted Thompson will draft a wr (just like Millen) he does it every year. So why not take Crabtree if he is there. I will be purchasing his jersey no matter what team he plays for :)

"Cheesey" wrote:

Because the more picks ("bodies") you have, the more chances you have of getting SOMEONE out of the group that can actually play.
Just look at every 1st round pick from last year. There are some that are doing OK, some are a bust, some are so-so. And every year you see some late round guy that ends up doing more then any of the "draft guru's" thought.
Driver was what, a 7th round pick i believe? You can go over the draft each year, and see who surprised everyone........good AND bad.
The "can't miss" pick, that misses. The "unknown" that steps up and has a great season.
The more people you have, the more chances you have of getting someone good.
Usually after the first few picks, it pretty much is an even playing field anyway. All the "future stars" (who might or might not be so) are already gone.

"dhazer" wrote:

And now we can't even send players like Ruvell Martin and Kurt Warner over to Europe anymore, because the NFL was losing alot of money due to low ticket sales and nearly no TV coverage.

Bomb those Europeans, I'd say!

But seriously, you're right. I mean, check out wikipedia and click some names, or see if you remember them. I mean, Wendell Bryant? Mike Williams? All early first rounders. Maybe the best guy to come out of that entire draft though was Aaron Kampman. Round 5, pick 156.
Cheesey
15 years ago
Thats it Rock......truth is, the whole draft is a crap shoot.....a guessing game.
Someone wins, someone losses.
The more chances you have, the more chances you have at getting a decent player.
I remember back......the guys like Andre Ware, Todd Marinovich, all touted as "can't miss" guys. And where are they now?
Every year you can look back and see just how far off some of these picks end up being. Aaron Rodgers dropped to what, 21st (i could be wrong on the number) to us? And the 49ers took Smith as their QB. I bet they wish they would have taken Aaron Rodgers now. In fact, i bet there are other teams that wish they would have picked him.
Hindsight is always 20/20.
UserPostedImage