Rockmolder
14 years ago
The NFCN teams' strength of schedule is totally out of proportion. I mean, adding 0-32 to any schedule will pull it down bigtime.

Ofcourse, playing the NFC West helps aswell.

This really doesn't say anything though. Look at the Falcons and Dolphins last year. The Lions have a RB in place and an amazing receiver. Take a QB early in the draft and a Tackle with their 20th pick and we pretty much have last years Falcons. Although I do think that they should groom Stafford, if the pick him, but still.
Greg C.
14 years ago

I wonder how that is possible the worst team in the nfl has the 21st easiest schedule?

"dhazer" wrote:

It's because the Lions don't get to play themselves. Seriously. The Bears, Vikes, and Packers each get to play two games against an 0-16 team, while the Lions don't have the privilege of playing that team because they ARE that team. That's what skews the rankings.
blank
Pack93z
14 years ago

I wonder how that is possible the worst team in the nfl has the 21st easiest schedule?

"Greg C." wrote:

It's because the Lions don't get to play themselves. Seriously. The Bears, Vikes, and Packers each get to play two games against an 0-16 team--the Lions--while the Lions don't have the privilege of playing that team because they ARE that team. That's what skews the rankings.

"dhazer" wrote:

We have a winner..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
vegOmatic
14 years ago

I wonder how that is possible the worst team in the nfl has the 21st easiest schedule? Don't they usually match you up against the other division by how you finished? I find that hard to believe but just like last year the Pats had one of the easiest schedules and the Steelers had the toughest on paper.

"dhazer" wrote:

Only two games out of 16 are based on a team finishing equivalent to your team. As a result, good teams do not end up playing a lot of other good teams and bad teams don't play a lot of other bad teams.

I've seen these strength-of-schedule discussions for years and years, usually when a team is doing well and people counter that team wasn't good, they were lucky because of their schedule. But those arguments many times are for something like a .425 score versus .420. Is that really a big deal?

I've come to the conclusion that strength-of-schedule is meaningless. It's just something for people to talk about when there is nothing else to talk about.
blank
earthquake
14 years ago
We get to play the 0-16 lions twice, same for the vikes and bears, this undoubtly tips the scales.
blank
14 years ago
If the rest of our schedule was .500, the Lions alone would drop our S.O.S. to 0.4375.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
14 years ago
Quote:

"A common question I get from football fans concerns the NFL's scheduling procedures and how a team's opponents are determined. Since the realignment that moved the NFL to an eight-division league, the scheduling format has become quite simple actually.
Each team plays home and away against its three division opponents, which accounts for six games on the schedule.

Each team plays four teams from another division within its conference on a rotating three-year cycle, which accounts for four more games.

Each team plays four teams from a division in the other conference on a rotating four-year cycle, which accounts for another four games.

Each team plays two intraconference games based on the prior year's standings. For example, the first-place team in a division will play against the first-place team from another division within the same conference. The second place team in a division will play against the second-place team from another division within the same conference, etc... "

As you can see prior years "strength" has only a portion of the bearing on schedule, both direct and indirect.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
TheEngineer
14 years ago
It's not a surprise that the SOS for the NFC N teams are so low. The Lions as an outlier are dragging down the strength of schedule, especially for those who play them twice (surprise surprise, NFC North teams). Although I'm too lazy to calculate, I would probably expect the NFC North somewhere around the low 20s, maybe even high 10s without the inclusion of the Lions.
blank
Pack93z
14 years ago
With FA era, this has become less and less of a factor, rosters turn over so quickly yearly for a good share of teams that this is almost irrelevant to factor in projecting into next season.

I see this more of a factor in season towards the tail end of the season and the playoffs.. but from year to year.. is it really worth the paper it is printed on?

Debatable at best.. 😉
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Bigbyfan
14 years ago
What would make the schedule even easier for the Packers is if we play the Vikings at some point during the first 4 weeks because the Williams brothers will be suspended for the first 4 games... One could hope 🙂
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (18h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (19h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (22h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (22h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16m / Around The NFL / beast

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.