bozz_2006
15 years ago

Panthers won't accept a 2nd and 3rd for Julius Peppers. They view Peppers as a franchise player.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

This is what I assume, as well. Where have you all seen evidence that a 2nd rounder would do it?
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
15 years ago

Keep dreaming... he will not be in GB in 09... and personally with the cost overall.. don't want him.

"pack93z" wrote:

Sure thing hot legs! :icon_smile:
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago

Exactly!! That's what I don't understand. Anyone that thinks that wouldn't be worth a 2nd round is crazy. As you have said often Porky, we could still have Peppers and pay the guys that we need to resign. Anyone who doesn't think that is crazy as well.

"doddpower" wrote:

First.. unless the Panthers panic.. they aren't going to set him free for a 2nd and a package of lower picks.. When he wants to play, he can be one of the best 4-3 ends in the game. If we weren't tinkering with the defense and staying in a 4-3.. it might be a different story here.

But we are not, so how does he fit into the defense. He hasn't been the stoutest player against the run in a 4-3, so you believe he is going to be able to anchor an end spot in the 3-4.. very questionable at best.. Peppers is a lanky player that plays tall.. I am afraid that he would get pushed out of the hole often.

So now you have to look at him playing a OLB spot.. I firmly believe he would be able to help the pass rush from there, but would be a major liability dropping into coverage.. we already have a semi one dimensional player at the OLB spot... coverage is definitely the question on Kampman with the transition. So our blitz coverage packages will already have some limitations to them from the outset, adding Peppers to that would only further the issue potentially.

Now, factor in the cost of obtaining him, the high end money he will command and the questions of how he fits into the defense.. The Risk/ Reward ratio is out of whack.

Go ahead and call me crazy again, but I cannot see how you justify this acquisition with all those factors being accounted for. To me, that is crazy.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
15 years ago

Keep dreaming... he will not be in GB in 09... and personally with the cost overall.. don't want him.

"DakotaT" wrote:

Sure thing hot legs! :icon_smile:

"pack93z" wrote:

That is a secondary motive yes.. lol.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
15 years ago
For the record, I don't want him either. Carolina is up against the cap at that figure, has already had to make some sacrifices in order to get the tiniest bit of wiggle room (which is how we wound up trading that LS, btw) I think pick-wise, the Panthers are getting to the point that anything reasonable (and after draft day perhaps unreasonable) would suffice.

I think he thinks he's worth more than Haynesworth money, and he very possibly is at this point in the game, but not to us. I was totally kidding about our 9 pick disappearing (that IS what happens, if my memory serves me). If it did, I would be infuriated (and prayerful that I was wrong about him and our system).

I was a Haynesworth guy, not a Peppers one , except I did in semi-jest suggest we could get both at one point. Call it chronic off-season delirium.

When the numbers required started getting thown out on Haynesworth, I got off that bandwagon REAL quick, much less for a much less (imo) Peppers.

I was on Haynesworth because of his position, in addition to all the other things....mostly the position-thing.
warhawk
15 years ago

I'd offer a 2nd and a 3rd and pay him money comparable to Jared Allen, but yeah it's not happening because it doesn't go with this regime's style.

"doddpower" wrote:

Exactly!! That's what I don't understand. Anyone that thinks that wouldn't be worth a 2nd round is crazy. As you have said often Porky, we could still have Peppers and pay the guys that we need to resign. Anyone who doesn't think that is crazy as well.

Perhaps he would be over rated. But I don't see how you could argue that he wouldn't help this team. Front load his contract and get a super talented player on this team to improve our pass rush. An improved pass rush and we are instantly a better team.

I understand that it's not going to happen, but it still doesn't make sense to me.

EDIT: I would be totally ok with this move not happening if we would add another solid veteran or two such as Carter and / or Holliday. No complaints at all. Perhaps this will happen after the draft, who knows. If none of this happens then I can't help but questioning is Thompson is really doing everything he can to improve this team.

"porky88" wrote:

What your missing here is what effect this type of contract will have on the team's ability to resign a boatload of players coming up next year. We already know Jennings wants more, Collins wants more, Williams is chirping about more and Kampman's will likely get redone as well.

We pay one guy this kind of money and we have like nine players we have to look at next season. You do the math and tell me we're not going to come up short and then people will be screaming at Ted Thompson for losing players we needed to hold onto.
"The train is leaving the station."
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago

EDIT: I would be totally ok with this move not happening if we would add another solid veteran or two such as Carter and / or Holliday. No complaints at all. Perhaps this will happen after the draft, who knows. If none of this happens then I can't help but questioning is Thompson is really doing everything he can to improve this team.

"doddpower" wrote:

I totally agree with this, though I do still have some hope that he'll make moves after the draft - I'm not 100% confident, but remembering that we signed guys like Pick and Woody late in the off-season helps keep the optimism level up.

But, IF he does nothing, then I'll have the same question/concern that you state above.

As for Peppers, I... just don't know. 93Z has made very good arguments about his questionable fit in a 3-4 scheme that I tend to agree with (not the money part, though; "Too much money" just isn't a valid argument when the subject is competing in the NFL, IMO - there is no victory in being more fiscally sound or principled if you're not fielding a winning team). Overall, I think I'd pass on him.
blank
Cheesey
15 years ago
The thing that gets me......WHY is Peppers still available if he's "SOOO" great?
There HAS to be something more then JUST money.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago

(not the money part, though; "Too much money" just isn't a valid argument when the subject is competing in the NFL, IMO - there is no victory in being more fiscally sound or principled if you're not fielding a winning team). Overall, I think I'd pass on him.

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

My point there is, it is too much money for a player that has a questionable fit into the defense.. like buying an expensive tool and hoping it works..

The scenario that we find ourselves in with acquiring Peppers at this time, doesn't fit in my opinion.

I think he is one of the best 4-3 ends in the game.. and if he plays balls out.. probably the best without question.
pack_in_black
15 years ago
We're still gonna play out of a lot of 4-3 sets this season, according to McCarthy. So Peppers would be great in that respect.

Also, we've heard time and again that the OLB dropping into coverage is not as commonplace as we all assume it to be. Nonetheless, I like the idea of a guy with Peppers' wingspan dropping into a short zone and spying the QB.

Were I the Packers GM, I'd definitely drop back for a late 1st and extra 2nd, then trade the 1st rounder for Pepp, but alas, Green Bay is still not accepting applications for the position....
UserPostedImage
Thanks to Pack93z for the sig!
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (1h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (4h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (6h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (8h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (8h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (8h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
45m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.