djcubez
15 years ago

Ted Thompson and Clay Matthews did not play together. If you're going to make stuff up, please check the facts before posting. This is a waste of everyone's time.

"oskarliminga" wrote:

OK, I researched this again and the article below will explain all. I made my original post (which I now can't find and which I suspect was censored by some Ted-sucking Nazi) based upon a radio broadcast which I heard in my truck. I didn't make anything up and I resent the implication (by you) that I did.

I was wrong and you are right; Ted DID NOT play with Clay's father in the NFL. He played with Clay's Uncle Bruce in Houston. The disturbing implications are the same as I listed in my post; was there some cronyism going on here? Don't you find it curious that NOWHERE in any of Ted's public comments on this trade-up did he mention that he played ball with Clay's Uncle?

Don't believe it? Go to the following link:

http://www.wisn.com/sports/19292132/detail.html 

As far as I'm concerned, you owe me an apology, your wasted time notwithstanding.

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- With the 26th selection overall, the Packers took linebacker Clay Matthews from Southern California.

The 240-pounder had 96 tackles and 5 sacks in four years at USC. The Packers dealt a second-round pick and both third-rounders to New England to make this selection happen. The Packers also received the Patriots' 5th-round draft pick in return.

Matthews comes from a football family. His grandfather played for the 49ers in the 50s, his father played for 19 years in the NFL and his uncle Bruce was a teammate of Ted Thompson in Houston. Thompson is hoping the USC product can continue the family's success in the NFL.

Matthews is a perfect fit in the Packers new 3-4 defensive scheme as he will play on the outside. He's 6-foot-3 and weighs 240 pounds, and yet scouts say he has good quickness and explosion off the ball. Don't let the pony tail fool you, Matthews is a blue-collar guy having worked his way up as a walk-on at USC to one of the best outside linebackers in college football.

"Greg C." wrote:

Read TT's interview. They actually do ask him about playing with Bruce and lining up against Clay Sr.

(Did you and Clay's father play against each other and did that factor in at all?)
I don't know his father. Yeah, we certainly played against each other. He would have been on defense and I would have been on special teams, so I'm not sure we actually hit each other at any particular time. He was a really good player and I was just a guy. I played with his uncle Bruce in Houston for a number of years. I think one of those guys played 19 years and one of them might have played 20. I'm hoping Clay has that kind of career.

(There are a lot of positives to having a father and an uncle like that, but it doesn't always translate into stardom, correct?)
Right. Well, Clay is his own man. He's probably, through our interviews with him, and he can speak for himself, he wants to stand on his own two feet, and I think he's done a very good job of that at USC. I'm sure he's not going to rest on the laurels of his father and uncle. He's his own man. He came into USC and some of these guys that are getting drafted today were linebackers, high recruits and things, so he had to work his way up. He was their very best special teams player for the first two years at USC until he started playing more, so he's earned his way. He's earned his way.

It doesn't sound like there was any family related connections to this pick, but I mean, when you come from a family that produced both Clay Sr and Bruce it's hard not to be biased.
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
Obviously, I'm biased, but I don't believe there are any "Ted-sucking Nazis" in our moderatorial group here.
UserPostedImage
Stevetarded
15 years ago

I can not imagine that a GM of any professional team would use a # 1 pick based on old family ties of any kind.

"oskarliminga" wrote:

Your quote is interesting, because I SWEAR I posted a comment somewhere last night questioning this pick based on Ted Thompson's having played with Clay's father ( I believe I used the term "cronyism").

Now I can't find it.

Is it possible that there is a cheese-nazi out there censoring posts?

If so, a pox on you; censorship of relevant commentary is something I'd expect out of Minnesota. I may be wrong on this, but if I'm not I call on the moderators to re-post my post and open it up to discussion. This ain't Cuba.

"oskarliminga" wrote:

I will prequalify that after the fact being that I honestly thought I heard a radio report on this during draft day that Ted Thompson was a team mate of Clay's father. If that is incorrect I apologize and withdraw the request. If that is true however, Ted Thompson has some explaining to to do.

"wpr" wrote:

lol, for some reason Ted Thompson must explain why he drafted a 1st round talent that is a perfect fit for our defense and fills an immediate need in the 1st round? Would that make sense to anyone but you?
blank
go.pack.go.
14 years ago
TT said himself that he does not know his father....he said that he played against him, which doesn't mean that he knows him.

Perhaps he liked Clay's talent and there was an added positive that his father played in the NFL...good bloodlines.

But I SERIOUSLY doubt that he would pick someone based on their blood.
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
14 years ago
I hope Clay Matthews kicks the sh*t outta opposing QBs.

UserPostedImage
blank
PackerTraxx
14 years ago

Ted Thompson and Clay Matthews did not play together. If you're going to make stuff up, please check the facts before posting. This is a waste of everyone's time.

"oskarliminga" wrote:

OK, I researched this again and the article below will explain all. I made my original post (which I now can't find and which I suspect was censored by some Ted-sucking Nazi) based upon a radio broadcast which I heard in my truck. I didn't make anything up and I resent the implication (by you) that I did.

I was wrong and you are right; Ted DID NOT play with Clay's father in the NFL. He played with Clay's Uncle Bruce in Houston. The disturbing implications are the same as I listed in my post; was there some cronyism going on here? Don't you find it curious that NOWHERE in any of Ted's public comments on this trade-up did he mention that he played ball with Clay's Uncle?

Don't believe it? Go to the following link:

http://www.wisn.com/sports/19292132/detail.html 

As far as I'm concerned, you owe me an apology, your wasted time notwithstanding.

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- With the 26th selection overall, the Packers took linebacker Clay Matthews from Southern California.

The 240-pounder had 96 tackles and 5 sacks in four years at USC. The Packers dealt a second-round pick and both third-rounders to New England to make this selection happen. The Packers also received the Patriots' 5th-round draft pick in return.

Matthews comes from a football family. His grandfather played for the 49ers in the 50s, his father played for 19 years in the NFL and his uncle Bruce was a teammate of Ted Thompson in Houston. Thompson is hoping the USC product can continue the family's success in the NFL.

Matthews is a perfect fit in the Packers new 3-4 defensive scheme as he will play on the outside. He's 6-foot-3 and weighs 240 pounds, and yet scouts say he has good quickness and explosion off the ball. Don't let the pony tail fool you, Matthews is a blue-collar guy having worked his way up as a walk-on at USC to one of the best outside linebackers in college football.

"Greg C." wrote:

You need to do your homework before you start spewing bs with no backing, but in fact turns out to be wrong. Ted specifically answers those questions in his interview transcript on packers.com.

I think you owe Greg an apology.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Pack93z
14 years ago

I can not imagine that a GM of any professional team would use a # 1 pick based on old family ties of any kind.

"oskarliminga" wrote:

Your quote is interesting, because I SWEAR I posted a comment somewhere last night questioning this pick based on Ted Thompson's having played with Clay's father ( I believe I used the term "cronyism").

Now I can't find it.

Is it possible that there is a cheese-nazi out there censoring posts?

If so, a pox on you; censorship of relevant commentary is something I'd expect out of Minnesota. I may be wrong on this, but if I'm not I call on the moderators to re-post my post and open it up to discussion. This ain't Cuba.

"wpr" wrote:

"oskarliminga" wrote:

First off.. I rarely take offense to much.. but we here take pride in Moderating with a even hand. To the point where more is allowed than I personally prefer.. so before you start jumping to conclusions that aren't there.. try calming down and looking before assessing blame on a staff.

Since you demanded an apology from Greg in this thread.. I think you might owe one yourself on multiple accords.

Your post is right here.. 5th down.. 
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Arles
14 years ago
Matthews was the #21 overall player on Scouts, Inc's board and a top 3 outside LB prospect. I don't care if Thompson had chicken dinner with his dad every Thursday night for 10 years, it was a great pick at #26 on both talent and need.
blank
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago

Matthews was the #21 overall player on Scouts, Inc's board and a top 3 outside LB prospect. I don't care if Thompson had chicken dinner with his dad every Thursday night for 10 years, it was a great pick at #26 on both talent and need.

"Arles" wrote:

Yep. If someone wants to prove some under the table crap happened I'm all ears.

Otherwise, it looks to me like our GM made an aggressive move to get a player that should help our team. How dare he!
blank
Trippster
14 years ago
I dont care about cronyism as long as Thompson does it with a clear concious. Clays dad was an awesome MLB with the Browns for many years. Not too unlike we had nitschke here.

If he sees his dad in him the nthat is awesome in my eyes.
"Let Your Light Shine!"
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (20h) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (21h) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (23h) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.