Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

4th Round Pick: Eastern Michigan OL T.J. Lang
The Packers have filled another need, selecting Eastern Michigan tackle T.J. Lang with their fourth-round pick (No. 109 overall).

A converted defensive lineman, Lang (6-4 1/4, 312 pounds) started 26 games at left tackle and 10 at right tackle at Eastern Michigan, producing 243 knockdown blocks and 28 touchdown-resulting blocks. He allowed seven sacks and nine pressures in 860 pass plays.

The Packers' next pick is in the fifth round (No. 145 overall).

More details as they're available.

UPDATE, 11:52 a.m.: Lang is addressing the media via phone now.

* What position will he play here? "I think the reason that they kind of like me is becaues I can play inside or outside." Not sure.

* Use zone blocking in college? Yes. Spread team, most of run plays were zone.

* Why switch from defensive line to offensive line? (Aaaand ... apparently Lang's phone died. Nice start.)

UPDATE, 11:56 a.m. And he's back.

* Why move to offense? Had two guys in front of him, including 2008 draftee Jason Jones. Had couple guys leave program on offensive line, and coach knew he'd played tackle in high school. First game at offensive tackle, he was a starter.

* How describe on-field demeanor? "I'm a competitive guy, and I show up, I show up every day and I'm just consistent." Doesn't talk a lot.

* Were Packers top choice? "Yes." Once left facility, told agent he could see himself here. Loved the coaches. Liked small town, hard working. "That's what I'm all about."

* Invited to combine? No. "I was informed by the combine director that I missed the combine by one vote." Was disappointed at first. Felt had something to prove. Had good pro day. Moved forward.

* Practiced or played any guard? "The only time I played guard was at my all-star game." Texas vs. the Nation. Took a few days to get used to it, but was OK.

* How play against first-round pick Larry English? Never gave up sack to him, but had battles.

* Expecting to get drafted in fourth round? Was thinking middle rounds -- slight chance of fourth, but was thinking fifth. "I'm definitely excited now."

* What were options coming out of high school? Only weighed 255 out of high school and only had played one year on DL. Only offers were from Eastern Michigan and Toledo, which offered late after had committed.

* What weigh now? 315.

* Played first college game at age 17. Graduate early? No, was always young. Birthday in September, right on deadline. Started school early.

* What need to improve? "I think I can work on just perfecting my technique and also my flexibility, trying to play lower." Worked on that the past few months, still working. Flexibility is biggest thing.

* Major injuries or surgeries? No.

UPDATE, 12:07 p.m.: Video, if I can make it work ...

UPDATE, 12:18 p.m. Offensive line coach James Campen on Lang ...

* Start out at RT? Will wait until evaluate in OTAs.

* Possibilities for position? All of them. Hasn't snapped in a game or played guard, but he displays those traits. "We will try to hone him into one position if we can do that."

* What think of Lang? "Very tough football player, high-effort player." Physical, plays with d-line mentality. Disciplined.

* Height an issue at tackle? No.

* Body type and numbers similar to Sitton. Compare those two physically? Weight similar. Taller than Sitton. Body composition, everyone's different. "Certainly a big-framed kid, a big-boned kid who can get in there and push people around."

* How was visit? "He had a very, very good visit. ... Very intelligent. Being on the board, excellent retention. Fit in well with the whole staff. Actually met some of the current football players ... would fit in very well with our group." Was a team captain. Little quieter, but when speaks, will be heard. Effort, play style is "infectious. He's just a very good kid." Had interesting lunch with him. Were eating at one of Packers lunches upstairs, saw Kevin Greene, asked if it was him. "He was like 'Wow.' I'm in the same room as Kevin Greene. ... He's a character himself. He's got a great attitude. ... This kid has great respect for the game." Walked around Lambeau, saw great players on walls, tells a lot about character.

* How is right tackle spot entering OTAs? "We have four or five guys, now a fifth, that certainly would compete over there. ... (Lang) will definitely compete for a position on this football team."

* Adding bigger guys, something to that? Lang is very athletic for his size, runs 5.1 40, 30 bench reps. When find similar skillsets, go for bigger kid.

* Importance of leadership: "I think it's just another bonus for a kid. ... I think it factors. Leadership can come in all different areas and in your style of play, but certainly I don't think you need to be a 10-year veteran to be a leader ..."

* Reservations about how guys block when have played in spread offense? Didn't put hand down much at EMU, but did in goal-line, short-yardage. Has shown footwork to execute scheme in NFL. Have to do more film work on those type of guys. "Certainly, it's not going to be an issue for him."

* Lang need to get stronger? "Every player obviously needs to get stronger and continue their growth in the weight room." Displays good leg strength, good knee drive. Will keep growing in weight room.

* Options at right tackle? Mentions Giacomini, Moll, Lang. Free agency isn't over yet either. "We have options."

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml 
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
Lang started his first college game at 17. Dude is STRONG.
[youtube]qHDvj-TrEvo[/youtube]
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

Eastern Michigan OT T.J. Lang has the ability to play every position on the line and be a great sixth man, and after the Packers focused on their defense with their first two picks, they needed to address their offensive line, where questions remain at right tackle. Lang has the football temperament to compete for a starting job with Tony Moll.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Day/2009/Round4Picks.htm 
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
15 years ago

Lang has the football temperament to compete for a starting job with Tony Moll.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I sure as heck hope he can compete with Tony Moll. In fact, I will be disappointed if he can't beat Moll out by opening day.
blank
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
I needed to study this kid last night.. I am undoubtedly impressed with this kid.

Technique wise.. very solid player.. uses his arms well, sets up in a firm base and moves his feet well. Excellent balance.. like I said I am impressed with him.

Jump in competition and may need to get a little stronger.. but I love this pick now.. after about 10 minutes of "who" with the list of players left in te draft.

I might go as far to say, in a couple of years of experience under him.. I think we have a multiple time Pro Bowl type player in Lang.

Did I say I was impressed. :)

BTW.. my wife is glad draft weekend is over.. I have an expanded Honey Do List after I became "lost" in the weekend.. lol. She said, last night was the worst.. because I kept watching clips and murmuring to myself.. I even dreamed about this crap last night.

I need a new hobby.. lol.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
15 years ago
Lang is going to surprise some fans. He could very well be better than Meredith, but I think they'll both have solid careers.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
15 years ago
I see that everyone is very happy about our late round picks, but they're still, well, late round picks.

I doubt that all these guys are going to make as big of an impact as we want them to. Starting wth Lang and Meredith.

Barbre was a 4th round pick, Tony Moll was a 5th round pick. The verdict might still be out on this guys, but they sure aren't very solid starters just yet.

I'm not saying that these guys won't make an impact, but they where 4th and 5th round draft picks in a 'weak draft'.
15 years ago
Listen, it's all shot-in-the-dark prognostication at this point. You can either be happy or you can go around pissing in people's cheerios. It doesn't really matter.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
15 years ago

Listen, it's all shot-in-the-dark prognostication at this point. You can either be happy or you can go around pissing in people's cheerios. It doesn't really matter.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

I thought it was more realistic than pessimistic.

I can try the happy-go-feel-good way and say that our 4th round rookie will open lanes for Grant like he has never seen before and will kick our previous 4th/5th round picks right out of the line-up.

I'd love for that to happen, but if it would, it would say more about the state of our o-line than about how good these kids are at this point, I'm afraid.
15 years ago
Actually, if you haven't done any in depth scouting of the guy, and aren't listening to any scouts on him, then it isn't realistic at all, is it?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (14h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (14h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (17h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (18h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (21h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (22h) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16h / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.